Legend
Supporter
image_321756_fit_620.jpg

image_321755_fit_620.jpg

image_321753_fit_620.jpg

image_321750_fit_620.jpg

image_321748_fit_620.jpg

image_321747_fit_620.jpg

The game shows dreamy graphics like the Disney classic cartoons.

The game is confirmed for PC and Xbox One and the release date is some day in 2015. (I don't know, tbh, sorry, it's 2015).

They want to make a Master System version, and the PS4 version is very likely to happen:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/16/cartoonish-cuphead-fills-up-on-new-trailer-has-hopes-for-master/

StudioMDHR also mentioned a "dream idea" in its latest press update: The developer hopes "we can at least be successful enough to port it to Sega Master System with cartridge, instructions and box" one day.
The developers also praised the ID@Xbox program.

ID@Xbox is a perfect program - we have nothing but praise for the guys we are working with.

They initially approached us when the first teaser trailer went out and it's blossomed into what it is today. Even though we're independent they've been treating us just just like we presume they'd treat any 3rd party - which is how it should be!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116279306&postcount=307

Last edited:
I so want this

Agreed. The concept of the game seems kind of weird, but I'm going to buy it just to support the amazing artwork. Even if the game is shit, I have a weird feeling I'll buy it to look at it, and I never buy games solely for graphics.

They commented that working on the ID@Xbox program was perfect for them, and complain about things like the App store, so they hope that Sony and Microsoft promote a quality standard. Still, I have mixed feelings on this. The XNA store on the X360 had a LOT of crap, but some games were decent for 1€ or 2€.

"I am not really sure what is going to happen next. I hope both Microsoft and Sony will still maintain high quality controls, to avoid a flooded market like the App Store."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/work...erfect_according_to_xbox_one_indie_dev_2.html

It's already happening with ID@Xbox games if you seen any list of games or developers. It's not a free for all like it was on XBLIG. Personally I'd like to have curated store like we're seeing now, but also a free for all too. There's something about being able to check every day to see what new & crazy game idea comes out. Not sure if a repeat of XBLIG(where developers only had a say if it met technical/not quality requirements) is what I'm looking for, but something where the public have more of a say in what comes out would be great. I guess something more like the now defunct Steam Greenlight service. I'm just not sure I trust Microsoft to be good at curating the best indie titles.

Tommy McClain

I am intrigued by the look of this game. This might be one of the very few indie platformers I buy.

StudioMDHR also mentioned a "dream idea" in its latest press update: The developer hopes "we can at least be successful enough to port it to Sega Master System with cartridge, instructions and box" one day.]

I finished reading Jim Henson’s biography recently and it is interesting seeing the juxtaposition between him and comments like this (which are typical sentiment of indie developers). Henson loved the ‘Old Hollywood’ style and tried to bring that element to a lot of his movies but for him it was a lot more about the spirit of what the old Hollywood movies were than replicating their physical characteristics. As a content creator he was constantly pushing the technology and art of puppetry forward in every way he could while focusing more on the spirit of what made the classic Hollywood films great (big musical numbers, larger than life characters, grand adventure). It seems like so many of these indie developers look backwards and try and place these artificial technical restrictions on their projects as if they were still in school trying to impress a professor rather than creating something of their own. I think the distance I feel towards most indie games is for this reason, it is like paying homage to NES platformers means you have to use adopt the limitations of the NES system.

In Cuphead I think this will come out in the same way, they will adopt everything about classic cartoons as if Walt Disney would approach his craft exactly the same way with modern technology (saloon piano music in the background, wiz-bang-kapow sound effects, etc). I’m not saying that won’t be enjoyable, I just think there is a smarter way to go about these things than wholesale coping a period’s style because with access to better technology the period’s defining creators wouldn’t have made the same decisions.

I am intrigued by the look of this game. This might be one of the very few indie platformers I buy.

I finished reading Jim Henson’s biography recently and it is interesting seeing the juxtaposition between him and comments like this (which are typical sentiment of indie developers). Henson loved the ‘Old Hollywood’ style and tried to bring that element to a lot of his movies but for him it was a lot more about the spirit of what the old Hollywood movies were than replicating their physical characteristics. As a content creator he was constantly pushing the technology and art of puppetry forward in every way he could while focusing more on the spirit of what made the classic Hollywood films great (big musical numbers, larger than life characters, grand adventure). It seems like so many of these indie developers look backwards and try and place these artificial technical restrictions on their projects as if they were still in school trying to impress a professor rather than creating something of their own. I think the distance I feel towards most indie games is for this reason, it is like paying homage to NES platformers means you have to use adopt the limitations of the NES system.

In Cuphead I think this will come out in the same way, they will adopt everything about classic cartoons as if Walt Disney would approach his craft exactly the same way with modern technology (saloon piano music in the background, wiz-bang-kapow sound effects, etc). I’m not saying that won’t be enjoyable, I just think there is a smarter way to go about these things than wholesale coping a period’s style because with access to better technology the period’s defining creators wouldn’t have made the same decisions.
Actually, believe it or not I commented yesterday to friend on youtube something similar.

Classic games are being more and more respected and loved as time goes on, just like the classic Hollywood movies from the 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y36xzveS06s

Not my type of game but there's no denying they nailed the graphical look. Brilliant!

I think this game looks amazing. Gutted it's not coming to PS4

I got to try this at an Xbox experience event. Easily the best of show for me. I kept going back to play it. Tons of fun coop especially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such great news. My interest in this has now spiked. Ever since I had seen super mario world, or maybe even earlier, I had thought "this looks sort of like a golden era cartoon, if just a bit too computery and synthetic" i wondered when would come the time when something indistinguishable from an actual animated movie of that style would come out. Finally I've got closure!

At e3 conference cuphead was shown and it had the play anywhere image. So I guess its coming to pc also

Developers weren't shy about saying it was coming to PC for quite a while now (https://www.engadget.com/2014/01/04/1930s-cartoon-inspired-cuphead-targeting-late-2014-launch-on-pc/ ). It was always going to be a XBO/PC release. Unfortunately, they are a bit late. :) I think that's partially because Microsoft jumped in and poured a lot more development budget into the game. Hence there's more platforming in the game now than there was originally going to be.

Regards,
SB

Back