Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

There must be an elite high tech tribe that did/or still is constructing these.

Or it might be a Terminator story where AI caused the downfall of mankind...but in this case: where are the smart machines??!
They might have just been constructed for a digital Jurassic Park and the factories are still running. Bit like how the Triffids took over when the world went blind.

I seriously love the look this game. Blew me away wholesale. Open world RPG with this setting means insta-buy for me. And being one of those people who, despite the aggro of many critics and gamers alike, was able to enjoy KZ games I already have a lot of faith in GG's ability to execute on thier vision for this.

One thing I can't get though, is the criticisms of folks that I've seen on the internet about the setting and the robot cyber-fauna. I mean, do these folks just not really have any imagination at all? Did they just never watch cartoons as a kid? I dunno how anyone can see a concept like this and not just see it as flippin cool. Sure it's not realistic, but its a friggin game. Not all games need to be. To be honest, I'm pretty much burned out with the whole FAD of games trying to have too much "gritty realism" or be "grounded in reality". I watched the trailer for the new COD, The Division and that new Ghost recon game and I was bored to tears by it all. I'm definitely all for games going back to the pure fantasy stuff. This is PURE fantasy Sci Fi, and I absolutely love it!!!

There must be an elite high tech tribe that did/or still is constructing these.

Or it might be a Terminator story where AI caused the downfall of mankind...but in this case: where are the smart machines??!

I imagine the story will be something like this:

The ancient super advanced humans created the cyber-saurs as autonomous military/industrial droids. After a great war which killed off 90% of the humans, the droids just kept on doing their thing, whilst human society kept away from the radio-active city ruins and regressed to nomadic hunter gatherer civilisations once again. In the absence of any means to rebuild human society, humans continued in their very simple, primitive new lifestyles for the next thousand years, simply forgetting their history and advanced knowledge; because in such a harsh new world, survival became more important than trying to preserve human knowledge.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/horiz...ont_be_tutorialised_rpg_systems_detailed.html

Somes soul's inspiration?

Speaking to VideoGamer.com earlier today, art director Jan-Bart van Beek revealed that there is "a lot of interplay between the different weapons and ammo types, and there is a sort of creative aspect there where you need to find the right way to use weapons for particular robos. And that counts for a lot of the game. We don't tutorialise the game, we don't go and tell you how to hunt these robos or how they interact. You really have to go out there and explore these things by trial and error.

"And it's the same case for learning about how the robos interact between themselves; who's protecting who and how they are all interconnected. You're always a little bit like David Attenborough where he's sitting in the bushes and studying these creatures trying to learn their behaviour, seeing how you can exploit that behaviour from them."

"There is a skill tree," he continued. "There are two basic character development systems. First of all you're getting XP and you can use that XP to gain new perks. So that's the big one. One of the perks that you saw being used [in the demo] is the Precision Shot where you slow down time and that allows you to [aim] the arrows a little more precisely. Without that it's actually really hard to hit certain weak spots. [The character in the demo] is already an advanced character about level 12, I think.

"But there's also basically a secondary way of upgrading your character, and that is through the harvesting and crafting system. By going into nature and defeating bigger and stronger robos you'll get better armour-plating, better weaponry and slowly but surely you'll develop your character in a more naturalistic way.

That sounds just perfect.

And I totally agree, this kind of imagination is very much welcome! We have enough realism in reality.

The ancient super advanced humans created the cyber-saurs as autonomous military/industrial droids. After a great war which killed off 90% of the humans, the droids just kept on doing their thing, whilst human society kept away from the radio-active city ruins and regressed to nomadic hunter gatherer civilisations once again.
I was thinking that maybe there is some equivalent of "SkyNet" in this game. But insteat of robo-skeletons he is producing dino-robots

Lol the red hair somwhat made me think of Nariko from Heavenly Sword. If only they could reboot it
frown.png

The post apocalyptic world especially the sequence qith the vegetation taking over the city made me think of Enslaved though I did not play the game, just the way it looked.
I really hope they have planned for some Dragon's Dogma climbing over the huge beasts lol and ride them. Can't wait to see the live coverage today on Guerilla's twitch.
That shadowfall refined engine for Open World looks amazing.
I can't wait to see how the A.I works especially to just witness other tribes trying to take down the giant ennemies by themselves.

Lol the red hair somwhat made me think of Nariko from Heavenly Sword. If only they could reboot it
frown.png

The post apocalyptic world especially the sequence qith the vegetation taking over the city made me think of Enslaved though I did not play the game, just the way it looked.
I really hope they have planned for some Dragon's Dogma climbing over the huge beasts lol and ride them. Can't wait to see the live coverage today on Guerilla's twitch.
That shadowfall refined engine for Open World looks amazing.
I can't wait to see how the A.I works especially to just witness other tribes trying to take down the giant ennemies by themselves.
For a moment I forgot that the game was from Guerilla and I was thinking it was a Ninja Theory game. It has their vibe in it

And why does she feel remorse for killing the little one?

well it seems these humans don´t have knowledge from before the apocalypse. They started from square one, and had always shared their habitat with robo-dinos from day one, so to them the robots are just very particular breed of animals. They percieve them as real living beings. So she acted much like many tribal people do, they hunt for survival, but try to avoid the killing animals for little reason.

But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

GG might have an interesting premise, but explaining it might be uh..................... Rico.

man creates dinobots to replace labour force. then A.I. happens. OOPS. Somehow america can't deal with it, and then........ dinobots continue alongside sparse population of humans.

wat

What I really liked in the demo is the non obtrusive UI.

So from what we know currently it's kind of a mix between Far Cry, Monster Hunter and The Witcher? Do want.

looks great! but please stop reusing old assets. i just dont get why devs can't post 5-10 dollar jobs to get new effects and art. worth a shot to the community before reusing as could get some good stuff.

Last edited:
Back