News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly, no. But they did have to do 'some things' with 'some stuff' in order to make it work, apparently.

I only included it because it apparently has some quotes from the developers conference that have since been removed, discussing the fact that it's an emulator, doesn't read game assets off the disc, and that each game requires its own "packaging".

Along with the logical conclusion that we could see the same thing applied in W10, so any of the 360 games that have been made "backwards compatible" should work on appropriate W10 PCs as well as the XB1. Provided that MS wants to go that route, of course.

Hey Cortana, I'm losing this round of COD. Can you aimbot for me?
Ok - l33t h4x enabled. Get ready to pWn n00bs. Tea bagging has been mapped to the 'X' button.
Not sure if its been mentioned already or its just too obvious to bring up but the new controllers should now allow anyone with a $10 headset to use cortana via the built-in mic instead of requiring a $150 kinect add-on. Wonder if this was one of the primary drivers for adding it?

Surprisingly, no. But they did have to do 'some things' with 'some stuff' in order to make it work, apparently.

I wonder if "some stuff" is the games that did not strictly follow the 360 API? Do games get special approval to not follow the TCR (?) and this is added code to handle those edge cases?

Last edited:
Not sure if its been mentioned already or its just too obvious to bring up but the new controllers should now allow anyone with a $10 headset to use cortana via the built-in mic instead of requiring a $150 kinect add-on. Wonder if this was one of the primary drivers for adding it?

Xbox One shipped with a headset in the box, and they still didn't allow voice control over the mic. Hopefully that will change. I think voice control is one of the great features of the console, but Kinect is not popular, so it doesn't make sense to restrict it to that device.

Xbox One shipped with a headset in the box, and they still didn't allow voice control over the mic. Hopefully that will change. I think voice control is one of the great features of the console, but Kinect is not popular, so it doesn't make sense to restrict it to that device.

I guess the problem that needs to be solved is for the console to differentiate between game chat and commands to Cortana. Even if saying "Cortana..." initiates a system command and mutes the mic to your chat party, its still probably annoying for the people you are chatting with to hear "Cortana" all the time. When you aren't in a chat session though...

Not following. How is spending $150 on a controller monetarily better than spending $150 on Kinect.

Even if saying "Cortana..." initiates a system command and mutes the mic to your chat party, its still probably annoying for the people you are chatting with to hear "Cortana" all the time. When you aren't in a chat session though...
And what if your name is Cortana!?! Ideally you should be able rename these things. Siri is also a real name. And Google is only a matter of time and nerdiness! ;)

Do you remember when the tv commercials shouting "Xbox on!" started up the console in your living room?
Think what will happen now when playing halo 5 in story mode
We must go find Cortana...
Yes, How can I help you?
...and kill all the bastards in the next room...
Ok, I will take care of it.

I guess the problem that needs to be solved is for the console to differentiate between game chat and commands to Cortana. Even if saying "Cortana..." initiates a system command and mutes the mic to your chat party, its still probably annoying for the people you are chatting with to hear "Cortana" all the time. When you aren't in a chat session though...

Double button push ftw. Push the mute button once to mute the mic to your chat party, push twice to mute to the party and the xb1 system. Big brother and all.

A bunch of deals running on the XB1 right now. I don't know if the $175 trade-in for a 360 or PS3 at Best Buy is still going on, I think it is going on all this week.

Additionally, the $100 trade-in for any 360 or PS3 is back from the Microsoft store and runs through the end of the month:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.XboxTradeinOffer

The trade-in site is also back up, so if you don't have a MS store in your area, no worries.

Also, there's a $50 gift card, plus AC Unity deal running if you buy the 1TB MCC version:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...0?icid=Homepage_Hero_3_Xbox_1TB_Bundle_150615

So, you can trade in an old console, get a new 1TB version with MCC & AC Unity and $50 gift card for $299.

They've renewed their efforts to get those 360 users to upgrade (considering these deals and the BC announcement), which they needed to do after looking at the NPD software sales figures.

The new controllers aren't $150. Those are the Elite controllers.
Hello gorgeous. Look at this beauty. I am very visual, who wouldn't pay for this?
xbox-header.jpg

Sure. He probably would name his daughter after a very, very dead computer. :yep2: He can call his son, ZX81.
:) Yes, drop-dead gorgeous. I think RancidLunchMeat might have a point...

Steven Elop leaves Microsoft. Good riddance, what a relief at being rid of him:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/former-nokia-boss-stephen-elop-leaves-microsoft-1506676

X1 dashboard a 50% faster with Windows 10. It needs not only to be faster but to be better designed around a controller, navigating it without Kinect sucks nowadays:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_dashboard_up_to_50_faster_with_windows_10.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back