The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2015 edition

Overall I have to agree that this is probably one of Sony's best conferences (a lot of talking but not as much worthless boring talking as in previous years). Although I really expected to see more real exclusives. It probably hurts that some of them have been delayed. Also, definitely not going to win best E3 conference of 2015. Now to wait for the other conferences.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1065003

Funny how opinions work!

This year was so much better than last year.

My only problem is it seems the bulk of sony's stuff is next year (if its not pushed back to 2017) and the last guardian looks rough like they haven't done anything with it in years.

I think some people are really underestimating the importance of some these announcements at Sony's conference.
IMO, this year's Sony conference will go down in E3's history as one of the most iconic moment of all time.

About to start watching the Sony conference but thought I'd make a quick note for this. The time slot chosen was likely so that people in Japan could watch the show at a decent time of day (1 pm).

Now off to watch the show and then read up on the other 10 pages of this thread. :p

Regards,
SB

That's dead wrong. Sony's Conference started at 9:00 am where I am (Taiwan/HK) so it started at 10:00 am for Japan.

e3-2015-schedule-time-zones-for-each-country-dates.jpg

Here's your referral.

I think some people are really underestimating the importance of some these announcements at Sony's conference.
IMO, this year's Sony conference will go down in E3's history as one of the most iconic moment of all time.
how so ?

I'm a huge Shenmue fan but its a 2015 announcement for a kickstarter of a game that claims to release in 2017 but most likely 2018. It also might not even be console exclusive since its announced for pc and ps4 and the kickstarter says they are exploring other platforms at this point in time.

FF remake we don't even know if its exclusive at this point in time or just a timed release .

Last guardian looked like a ps3 game and not even a good looking one when compared to stuff like the last of us.

I dunno , I don't see a lot of positive for sony for this year and like I said a lot of their stuff is a few years out. I think PC was the big winner by a mile .

how so ?

I'm a huge Shenmue fan but its a 2015 announcement for a kickstarter of a game that claims to release in 2017 but most likely 2018. It also might not even be console exclusive since its announced for pc and ps4 and the kickstarter says they are exploring other platforms at this point in time.

FF remake we don't even know if its exclusive at this point in time or just a timed release .

Last guardian looked like a ps3 game and not even a good looking one when compared to stuff like the last of us.

I dunno , I don't see a lot of positive for sony for this year and like I said a lot of their stuff is a few years out. I think PC was the big winner by a mile .
I don't understand how games also coming out for PC or TLG looking like a PS3 game are supposed to undermine the significance of these announcements.

how so ?

If you can't see how reviving three "assumed dead" fan-loved projects (and how they kept it a secret) and winning over marketing deals with several franchises is a big deal, nothing short of buying out the opponent will.

I don't see anywhere on the kickstarter citing they're exploring any other platforms except PC and PS4 at this time.
And rightfully so. We all know the game probably can't be done with 3-4 million, probably takes a lot more, but we all know Sony is backing the funding once the kickstarter has passed (and it has).

So please back up your claim factually, because I don't see it.

On the emotional side. I'll respect your comments but It's clear that anything associated with Sony doesn't ring a bell with you.
But yet you're here again in Sony's E3 discussion.

Squareenix guy said being made for PS4 only, make of that what you will.

Last Guardian looked like a PS3 game because it was a PS3 game, but having said that it looked far better than the first showing, but I guess the art being almost exactly the same makes it easier to make such a comment about it.

I don't get the negativity about The Last Guardian, yes it doesn't look as graphically impressive as Horizon, but doesn't the art style make up for that somewhat? If it was originally developed for the PS3 then it's possible we're looking at something that could easily be 60fps with no problems.

The audience reaction to the Sony conference was real, there were several announcements in particular:

TLG
FF7
al acarte IPTV option
Shenmue

All of these evoked genuine enthusiasm from the crowd, there were other moments that had reactions as well but these really did make an impression. In some ways it was like a hollywood blockbuster that kept your attention for 90 minutes but later when you thought about the movie you saw some holes in the story. In Sony's case, the lack of first party software exclusives, almost no mention of VITA, confusion about actual nature of game MM's new IP, no price drop, no real info about VR, even the number of indie titles compared to MS was off and up to this point PS has become synonymous with indie..... All in all they are fine but MS has learned alot in past 2 years; BC, the new IPs, the new indie development program/crowfunding program combined with the aggressive discounting on hardware mean the war for the living room won't be won anytime soon in NA.

The audience reaction to the Sony conference was real, there were several announcements in particular:

TLG
FF7
al acarte IPTV option
Shenmue

All of these evoked genuine enthusiasm from the crowd, there were other moments that had reactions as well but these really did make an impression. In some ways it was like a hollywood blockbuster that kept your attention for 90 minutes but later when you thought about the movie you saw some holes in the story. In Sony's case, the lack of first party software exclusives, almost no mention of VITA, confusion about actual nature of game MM's new IP, no price drop, no real info about VR, even the number of indie titles compared to MS was off and up to this point PS has become synonymous with indie..... All in all they are fine but MS has learned alot in past 2 years; BC, the new IPs, the new indie development program/crowfunding program combined with the aggressive discounting on hardware mean the war for the living room won't be won anytime soon in NA.

I think you're right; three of those announcements are HUGE (ignoring the TV one) and were pure fan service. They probably were doing a fantastic job of hiding the lack of 1st party titles coming out this year.

It's a shame there wasn't more on Morpheus. I was hunting around on YouTube yesterday to try and find videos of people on the showroom floor using it, but I haven't found anything. I hope those hit soon as I'm desperate to hear more about it.

60fps would be its saving grace in my eyes. We'll be paying full price for an old PS3 remaster. Better be 60fps.
Surely to be a remaster it would've have to have been released.

Yosp has confirmed it was never going to make it to PS3, it was too ambitious. It's been a PS4 game since 2012. I think you just have issues with this game for whatever reason. Personally none of the issues you've mentioned seemed to be based in reality, but I'm not seeing a good game here either although I think it visually looks good (not great) with what's been shown so who am I to argue.

I don't understand how games also coming out for PC or TLG looking like a PS3 game are supposed to undermine the significance of these announcements.
They give reason to consider other platforms. Why buy PS4 for Shenmue if it's going to come out on PC? Could go PC instead. And if TLG can't hold a candle to its peers, plus it's been in development hell for years which invariably leads to poor games actually being released, is there all that much reason to get excited?

A powerful press conference ought to make a platform seem indispensable. By and large we don't get powerful press conferences any more. (Dreams may well be a PS4 system seller for me)

Squareenix guy said being made for PS4 only, make of that what you will.

Last Guardian looked like a PS3 game because it was a PS3 game, but having said that it looked far better than the first showing, but I guess the art being almost exactly the same makes it easier to make such a comment about it.

NEWSFLASH: the old PS3 trailer was not running on a real PS3!

Seriously guys just watch the HQ video of the TLG PS4 gameplay. It definitely does not look like a PS3 game, particularly in motion.

@London-boy If the PS3 game was running at ~15fps like Yosp has implied, 30fps on PS4 is already double the framerate and remember some remasters didn't even get their framerate doubled like GTA5.

Last edited:
They give reason to consider other platforms. Why buy PS4 for Shenmue if it's going to come out on PC? Could go PC instead. And if TLG can't hold a candle to its peers, plus it's been in development hell for years which invariably leads to poor games actually being released, is there all that much reason to get excited?

A powerful press conference ought to make a platform seem indispensable. By and large we don't get powerful press conferences any more. (Dreams may well be a PS4 system seller for me)
Again, I don't see how that's relevant to what I was saying.
The fact that Sony showed 3 of the most wanted games (2 of them for almost over a decade) is something you're not going to see any time soon in the future.
It was E3 fan-fiction coming to life.

Back