Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Are you saying that footage was real time???
Seems plausible. The lighting doesn't look quite like the initial reveal - which I think is just autovista + intro + replay camera.

I just assume MS marketing is incompetent where it comes to putting up 60fps footage of any of their games.

Seems plausible. The lighting doesn't look quite like the initial reveal. I assume MS marketing is incompetent where it comes to putting up 60fps footage of any of their games.
I thought they used the in game engine but was rendered off line. The image quality was striking in my eyes as well as the motion blur

I thought they used the in game engine but was rendered off line. The image quality was striking in my eyes as well as the motion blur

The B-roll states direct gameplay at the start *shrug*.

The initial reveal though - I'm fairly certain it's just autovista + intro cam + replay cam. Even the telephone wires still exhibited significant aliasing issues when the driver spins out in the rain. Either way, best not to judge by this video considering it's stage-center PR video with a bunch of mixed in editing etc. There are a number of bits where it's just speeding through a zone (no cars) that's probably pre-rendered/edited to put the 3D text etc. Couple that with the high speed camera movements and motion blur and compression, and there's really nothing to judge that it's real-time.

The B-roll states direct gameplay at the start *shrug*.

The initial reveal though - I'm fairly certain it's just autovista + intro cam + replay cam. Even the telephone wires still exhibited significant aliasing issues when the driver spins out in the rain. Either way, best not to judge by this video considering it's stage-center PR video with a bunch of mixed in editing etc. There are a number of bits where it's just speeding through a zone (no cars) that's probably pre-rendered/edited to put the 3D text etc. Couple that with the high speed camera movements and motion blur and compression, and there's really nothing to judge that it's real-time.
oops seems I saw the wrong video

Any analysis on the new Uncharted 4 demo? Looks native to me with some kind of post AA, but I'm not an expert. The AA looks rough around some of the edges of the objects, but all the edges inside the objects look really good. Strange. I did notice a weird dithering effect around the main character's hair. Anybody know what that's about? I thought it looked odd.

Here are some screenshots and a high quality download of the demo video:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_uncharted_4_gameplay_video-16677_en.html

anyone checked out Halo 5, gears 4 and tomb raider? Really curious of those games, TR and Halo 5 definitely looks rough when watching HQ video. Can see aliasing from edges and shaders. Gears 4 look clean is it running on UE4?

anyone checked out Halo 5, gears 4 and tomb raider? Really curious of those games, TR and Halo 5 definitely looks rough when watching HQ video. Can see aliasing from edges and shaders. Gears 4 look clean is it running on UE4?
Haven't seen Tomb Raider. Gears 4 should be UE4, and it looked native.

Any analysis on the new Uncharted 4 demo? Looks native to me with some kind of post AA, but I'm not an expert. The AA looks rough around some of the edges of the objects, but all the edges inside the objects look really good. Strange. I did notice a weird dithering effect around the main character's hair. Anybody know what that's about? I thought it looked odd.

Here are some screenshots and a high quality download of the demo video:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_uncharted_4_gameplay_video-16677_en.html

If it looked like this.
http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/9/9/4/0/4/1/a2c2.jpg.jpg

Its probably alpha to coverage.

Any thoughts on the NFS gameplay? It's a very impressive game using the same updated version of frostbite that Battlefront is using. It was concluded that Battlefront on PS4 was 900p correct? Also anyone find direct feed of the NFS gameplay demo?

anyone checked out Halo 5

1) One cut-scene showed 11/12 for the horizontal & 3/4 for vertical upscaled to 1920x804 (black bars). Another couple scenes showed 1920x ~603 (3/4 upscale to 804). Another showed lower. Not entirely clear if it's dynamic or just the post processing at work.

2) E3 campaign gameplay: seemingly ~1152x810 ? ~3/5 ratio for horizontal & 3/4 for vertical. Another scene measures out to 1200x810 (25/40). Maybe dynamic? Kind of a bad area to analyze given the darkness and low res particles.

edit
Mind you the video is yuv420. *shrug*

edit: corridor shot looked to be 15/20 for horizontal. So maybe it is dynamic or the transparency/post-effects blending are just nutty (was pretty bad in a couple shots just before the jumping segment) or.... who knows. Shader aliasing too (still not great to have regardless).

Would help if there weren't shiny surfaces everywhere (specular aliasing).

edit:

Anyways, not sure how old the build is. They do have months to go as well. Perhaps their silence on the matter is related.

They did come out and mention H2A resolution afterall when they were ready, but there it is for E3.

Last edited:
I hope they would just go with locked 30 fps if they can at least hit 900p or even 1080p for SP instead because PS is always where the graphical showcase would be. And do whatever for MP to get solid framerate.

Some transparencies definitely seem half-res. It's pretty clear when Locke does that scan thing.
Mmhm... It's particularly noticeable when Forerunner Genie starts assembling itself in the distance and there's the red phantom at the landing pad, and then they all start running.

The cut-scene with Locke and Arby looked a bit rough compared to the Blue Team scene. Wasn't quite sure if the bloom/depth-of-field were messing things up there though.

Halo 5 campaign looked down right 720p-ishgive or take, yeah really should leave an option for 30/900p if possible for the SP just to avoid those disastrous jaggies.

I doubt that's the final res. Also parsing Alstrongs post it seems well I guess all over the map, but 15/20 for example is 1440 horizontal. Which sounds more like I would have expected.

I also just cant see how they'd ever dip BELOW 720P, the PR backlash would be insane.

Jaggies looked like anything but a problem on the campaign footage. Maybe I am blind or something? "Softness" if anything might be the issue. I did feel the Halo 5 MP beta was definitely hurt by 720P to an unacceptable degree. Random video cap example (knowing video caps are the worst possible way to show a game)

GQnhLS4.jpg

I'm not exactly cutting my eyes there.

720p/60 also equates to 1080P/30 more than 900/30. I struggle to remember sebbi's posts on the matter but I believe did he not term 60 FPS even more difficult to achieve than doubling the pixel count?

Nothing to do really but wait the long months for the final *alstrong shrug*

Watching the ViDoc you definitely feel like they are still battening things down. There could be some edict of "scale the res but make sure 60 is locked at all time, and we'll worry about upping the res later".

Last edited:
Back