Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be right? How does that contrast with other everyday heroes? A Google of Lara Croft shows similar claims. But as per Globalisateur's Mario reference, characters have been killing 'enemies' for no good reason for as long as video games have existed. Well, I suppose they were motivated by rescuing the something-or-other, so the justification of the genocide was at least altruistic.

Lara killed a grand total of 5 people in her first game (in the remake she only killed a single guy), and all of them were integral to the story. The remake in particular made quite a big deal about the fact that she chose to kill a person over a trinket. She was never ever a girl next door kinda person either. She was pretty ruthless in fact. The first TR was almost a poster child for a narrative living in perfect harmony with the gameplay. A harmony that subsequent games slowly but surely pissed away. At least until TR Undeworld came along and tried to capture the spirit of the first game once more. Ironically it was at its worst in the reboot, aka the first in the series that actually had the celebrity voice-overs, the writing, and hours of mocap.

Last edited:
I did think that in the last game they could have handled it a bit differently. The first time she kills a guy, there's this huge existential drama with her crying her eyes out because she killed someone for the first time, then literally less than 10 seconds later she gets over it and kills enemy after enemy, no questions asked, no tears shed.

Going from OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?! to complete and utter killing machine, in the space of a few seconds, was quite hard to digest. Surely they either could have made less drama about the first kill, or perhaps soften the way she suddenly forgets about the first one and starts mowing down everyone in her path.

But hey, it was great fun.

It was indeed. I completed it 3 times. I still think the game gained nothing from making Lara more emotional and relateable. The narrative in the game was pretty shite. (even though I liked all the sun queen nonsense)

I think a legitimately bad example of this common complaint with the Uncharted series is Far Cry 3. The player character is some fun-loving US college kid on hols with his friends, who gets into some bad stuff, sees his brother die and then suddenly becomes friggin' rambo, stealthily murdering the equivalent of a small country's population just because some gray haired stoner tells him he's the chosen one, and the local priestess rapes him... :confused:

... dats some real Ubisoft logic right there!

If a FC3 had been a movie there would have been a combat training montage with 80s music that would have made the going rambo part more palpable.

Which begs the question, why aren't montages a common device in game making.

Rising up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances

Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

Face to face, out in the heat

Hanging tough, staying hungry
They stack the odds 'til we take to the street
For the kill with the skill to survive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Rising up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the eye of the tiger

The lyrics are applicable to most games than not.

We need more montages in games. LOL.

Last edited:
If a FC3 had been a movie there would have been a combat training montage with 80s music that would have made the going rambo part more palpable.
hm... You know I can't decide if Uwe Boll would be the best director or the worst director for a FarCry 3: Blood Dragon.

Id don't know how they do it each time but all I have to say is : F*ck Yeah :cool: :D ! Holy shit, the demo starts slow, then shows u awesome destructability and then gradually opens up the level to a new scale retaining all the eye candyand then peppers it with the oh-so-charming ND dialogues ! :love: U ND !

now that i have a friend, Wasim , right inside ND, I will make sure my love reaches ND even if it embarasses my friend like hell , lol ! HE know how I love it, cos he has also grown from a fan to Naughty Dog itself !!!

I must admit my initial impression wasn't all that enthusiastic - nothing like last years E3 reveal. But after looking at the pics above and the Gamersyde video, I'm very pleased again. The level of detail (IQ) and physics being used are astonishing. Almost thought Naught Dog let me down... shame on me. :yep2:

OMG< just watched the Gamersyde version, such little details, the sandbags actually leak sand when shot at :oops: ! My nephew noticed that ! Sand flows and deposits in little heaps on ground ! Holy shit ! The guy Sully punches actually gets surprised first ! Drake collides with the guy in the crowd , the guy jerks back ! Wow, they really have taken each little care to make it look alive !

Last edited:
Uncharted-4_elena_1434429092.jpg

Falls flat on his face and drools ! My babe is back !!!! :love: :love: :love: #Elenaloversunite

More here :
Uncharted-4_drake-sully-farm_1434429061.jpg

Uncharted-4_drake-surprised_1434429077.jpg

Uncharted-4_drake-truck-drag_1434429080.jpg

Look at that physics enabled chest hair!

Elena looks gorgeous, is Chloe in this game too?

I think that demo was the most impressive thing shown at E3, have no idea how they're managing to cram that much world detail and physical interaction while moving at such speed through such an expansive environment. (It certainly seems that the driving section has multiple paths too and not just the one taken in the demo).

No pop-in, rarely noticeable LOD transitions and excellent anti-aliasing too.

The amount of attention to incidental detail is mind boggling :
- the wildlife
- the deep tracks the jeep makes through mud
- how the sacks he's taking cover behind, release puffs of flour when shot and then proceed to spill flour into neat piles
- the way the shed rocks when Nate pushes the guy up against it (before punching him through it, knocking down pots on its interior shelves)
- the way the fuel can in the back is separately animated from the rest of the jeep
- how the clothes line wraps around the jeep when driven through
- the sparking from connecting sections of the chain link fences as they they plough through them
- they clip a stall and the debris from the collision causes the parasol above it to deform realistically
- how the single haystack they clip turns into a cloud of straw when hit
- the fact that trees by the shore reflect in the water despite you speeding by them).

It must have taken a vast amount of time and artist/programmer resources to create the assets for that level and all the simulation systems and animation required.

Last edited:
Look at that physics enabled chest hair!

Elena looks gorgeous, is Chloe in this game too?

I think that demo was the most impressive thing shown at E3, have no idea how they're managing to cram that much world detail and physical interaction while moving at such speed through such an expansive environment. (It certainly seems that the driving section has multiple paths too and not just the one taken in the demo).

No pop-in, rarely noticeable LOD transitions and excellent anti-aliasing too.

The amount of attention to incidental detail is mind boggling : the wildlife, the deep tracks the jeep makes through mud, how the sacks he's taking cover behind, release puffs of flour when shot and then proceed to spill flour into neat piles, the way the shed rocks when Nate pushes the guy up against it (before punching him through it, knocking down pots on its interior shelves), the way the fuel can in the back is separately animated from the rest of the jeep, how the clothes line wraps around the jeep when driven through, the sparking from connecting sections of the chain link fences they plough through, they clip a stall and the debris from the collision causes the parasol above it to deform realistically, how the single haystack they clip animates when hit, the fact that trees by the shore reflect in the water despite you speeding by them).

It must have taken a vast amount of time and artist/programmer resources to create the assets for that levels and all the simulation systems and animations required.

+1! Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back