XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

Here's the Interview video on backward compatibility:

heh, he casually say the problem is technical for like USB stuff for kinect and pheripheral. But game-wise, its a simple wrapper that hampered by licensing. I guess japan games will be hard to come to the emulator then

btw can they wrap xbox original games with xbox emulator for xbox 360 then wrap it with the new emulator?

so Xbox 1 emulating Xbox 360 emulating Xbox Original

Now if they can back port the Xbox 1 emulator so I can get Rallisport Challenge 2 running, I can ditch two Xboxen at the same time ....

I'd wager the most "tweaking" for this EMU resides on the CPU side of the house given the lineage of the GPU side. Moving to the PC would probably put a very specific set of requirements on for the GPU likely limiting to one vendor and specific architectural requirements.
Ironically, Xenia begs to differ.

That's an open/homebrew EMU and it wrapping commands onto PC graphics API's (OpenGL), this will attain compatibility but not necessarily efficiency. MS don't need to take this approach - they have the exact knowledge on the ISA for XBOX 360 and XBOX One are likely mapping it somewhat more directly for efficiency.

Now if they can back port the Xbox 1 emulator so I can get Rallisport Challenge 2 running, I can ditch two Xboxen at the same time ....
Yes, basically bringing universal Xbox emulation, like a PC of sorts. That would make it into the headlines.

Now make a PC DirectX wrapper, fool PC games into believing they are running on a PC and play Steam and GoG games and stuff. Best console ever. Full Xbox and PC compat.

Full Xbox 360 BC doesn't seem far off. Except for one thing. Microsoft are killing Kinect for good, and guess which X360 games won't be BC on the Xbox One? Yes, anything that needs Kinect.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/gam...box-ones-backward-compatibility-push-3616007/

There isn't one. The game download itself comes with it.
This is the kind of technology transparency you expect these days. PS Now does the same thing, the PS3 game icon appears along with the PS4 games with the clever stuff hidden from the user.

I really look forward to Digital Foundry's analysis. I think initially we'll some same games running a little worse and some games running a little-to-a-lot better with the overall emulation improving as time goes on.

Yes, basically bringing universal Xbox emulation, like a PC of sorts. That would make it into the headlines.

Now make a PC DirectX wrapper, fool PC games into believing they are running on a PC and play Steam and GoG games and stuff. Best console ever. Full Xbox and PC compat.

That will never happen,not for technical reasons but rather if you could buy Mass Effect: Andromeda for $20 less from Origin/GOG/Steam and still play it in your living on XB1 why would you ever pay MS for a game again (I don't just mean buying from XBL here rather the licence fee on every XB1 game sold)?

Besides which the API for PC is huge and unwieldy with base assumptions that differ radically from those on console, for example until very recently most PC games piled most logic onto one core because even a modest PC offer huge levels of IPC on a single core but cannot be relied upon to have more than two cores. Everything on consoles is heavily threaded so it's much easier to work out how to spread 3 cores worth of work over 6 physical cores than 1 monster cores worth of work over 6.

MS have clarified that they are using emulation and the d/l is basically 'EMU + Xbox360 O/S + Game', man I hope Digital Foundry get a nice in depth interview on this tech

That will never happen,not for technical reasons but rather if you could buy Mass Effect: Andromeda for $20 less from Origin/GOG/Steam and still play it in your living on XB1 why would you ever pay MS for a game again (I don't just mean buying from XBL here rather the licence fee on every XB1 game sold)?

Besides which the API for PC is huge and unwieldy with base assumptions that differ radically from those on console, for example until very recently most PC games piled most logic onto one core because even a modest PC offer huge levels of IPC on a single core but cannot be relied upon to have more than two cores. Everything on consoles is heavily threaded so it's much easier to work out how to spread 3 cores worth of work over 6 physical cores than 1 monster cores worth of work over 6.

MS have clarified that they are using emulation and the d/l is basically 'EMU + Xbox360 O/S + Game', man I hope Digital Foundry get a nice in depth interview on this tech
Maybe developers wouldn't allow it, trying to read it from your point of view. Microsoft on the other hand would be very happy selling boxes like pancakes.

As for the Digital Foundry article, I am very curious about Bioshock Infinite. Since the framerate could be unlocked -same in Bioshock- the game could easily run at 100 fps on the Xbox One most of the time. I'd replay it if that was the case.

It is a game where high framerates would be very beneficial, the parts where you were flying over rails would be even nicer at 60 fps or more.

Or it can run even worse... it's still emulation, don't forget that. Not that I believe they'd release an emulator for an essentially broken game, but still. More than 60Hz don't give you any benefit, btw, since no console actually puts out more than 60Hz via HDMI.

It's been a long time since any of this was a topic of discussion, so I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly, but I think Microsoft had to pay Nvidia for emulation on the 360. Not just one lump sum, but for each unit that had it. Microsoft just passed this cost on to the consumer by adding it to the price of the HDD. That's why the 4GB versions don't support emulation and why non-official HDDs can't do it, either. I imagine Nvidia would probably stick to this scheme (charging MS) if MS tried to provide Xbox emu on the Bone.

I think you're right about having to pay Nvidia, but the reason for 4GB and third party HDDs not having BC is because the BC partition wasn't there.

BC needed at least 3GB space on the HDD for the 3 partitions of scratch space, and the performance of the 4GB of flash wouldn't have been high enough either (it's not fast on the 4GB 360s). You could clone a BC HDD onto third party / home bodged HDD and get BC that way, if you wanted to.

But yeah, Nvidia would want some dollar, and it probably wouldn't be worth that dollar for MS to spend (plus testing is expensive too, so you need to recoup those costs too somehow).

You could clone a BC HDD onto third party / home bodged HDD and get BC that way, if you wanted to.

Does that actually work? I've never read of anyone doing that successfully. Just that it ought to work.

And I've lost hope that we'll ever see an original Xbox emulator. People working on them seemed to have hit a wall with no progress in the last year. Seems like everyone has given up.

*Shakes fist angrily at Nvidia*

Back