Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Were did you get that screenshot from?

Cover of the girl friendly Halo spinoff novel: "Derping for Love 2: Boss Eyed for Chief".

herp-Derp-e1360264536947.jpg

I won't go into too much detail as it might be misconstrued - by a harsh mod - to be OT, but this should give you some idea:

eBVpSf8.jpg

and also this:
TSzIerM.jpg

and perhaps even this:
E8rNdnd.jpg

Beyond derp, there is herp-derp. But I will leave it there, so normal Halo programming can resume.

I won't go into too much detail as it might be misconstrued - by a harsh mod - to be OT, but this should give you some idea:

eBVpSf8.jpg

and also this:
TSzIerM.jpg

and perhaps even this:
E8rNdnd.jpg

Beyond derp, there is herp-derp. But I will leave it there, so normal Halo programming can resume.
:D Ah, thanks. I think I get the idea, even for the last ehem.. definition. Our family cat Agatha -from my language, a gata /the female cat/- used to drink directly from the water tap. When she wanted to drink there she went, licking the tap til someone noticed and opened it and turned up the water..

Back into Halo, I am an angel. Did you notice my Halo?

Soooo..... I really do not know what I have stepped into, but maybe this is where I should post this.

The demo was deliberately a clean linear section to show off a few features. The game is actually more expansive with more possible routes and methods to finish than ever before- and the "scripted" bits, like Locke falling after the EMP bit are there largely for story (as opposed to QTE tasks).

Would have been tricky to demo the more common bits where the squad Divides and conquers. You'll see more of it this year.
Frank from 343 via another forum (gaf)

The demo section was very badly chosen imo...looked like COD BLOPS 3, narrow and linear.

Animations look completely off, but other than that I was impressed by the graphics! Still 60Hz?

But I just realized...I am completely off wrt the story?!? What the heck is going on??!? Halo has the most difficult to follow story ever!

I'm assuming here they at least delivered 1360X1080 or so of course.
I'm having a hard time getting a good vertical count, but horizontal in the campaign footage is <=1280.

They need to add dynamic lighting to the promethean aircraft gun fire. Looks pretty weird with it just being glow cards.
Maybe.

Devs have to be careful with projectile lights, because it can easily muddy up the scene*, and because even at fairly decent framerates it can look choppy due to temporal undersampling and the lack of motion blur on the lighting.

I'm a big fan of the more classical "fewer but bold" lights approach. Highlight major events and maybe some significant slower-moving projectiles, but don't try to emphasize everything, and for projectiles try to mostly rely on big tails + comet projectile shape to convey motion and location well.

*Halo 2 Anniversary banshee fire is REALLY bad about this.

The demo section was very badly chosen imo...looked like COD BLOPS 3, narrow and linear.

Animations look completely off, but other than that I was impressed by the graphics! Still 60Hz?

But I just realized...I am completely off wrt the story?!? What the heck is going on??!? Halo has the most difficult to follow story ever!

It was a super dull demo. The animations were weird looking. Vale's movement looked very stiff. Same with Buck when he goes up to that flying thing to shoot it. "OK i will very awkwardly run up and fire!"

Yeah, they're certainly following closely in Bungie's footsteps with the crappy animation - it jumped out at me too. Not a patch on something like Battlefield which utilises EA's ANT animation tech (as uses in FIFA etc).

Last edited:
Hmm, Halo 5 Warzone sounds a lot like....Destiny Public Events (boss spawns in to public area, you all get alert, rush to kill him cooperatively)!

Not the first and wont be the last to steal concepts from Destiny, in fact probably almost all games will in the future.

I'm having a hard time getting a good vertical count, but horizontal in the campaign footage is <=1280.

Oh geesh, they better get it way above that. I find that rather hard to believe though. No way it's LESS than 720P.

If they really sacrificed that much resolution for 60 FPS I will just LOL. Remember, you guys wanted this. 1080p/30=720p/60.

Graphics must be really nice confirmed to engender all this nitpicking :)

Last edited:
Levels are 4 times larger than in Halo 4, according to i343

The Warzone levels are. They are a different subset of the game than single player & competitive multiplayer. Looks intriguing to me. Might save me from buying Destiny.

Tommy McClain

It was a super dull demo. The animations were weird looking. Vale's movement looked very stiff. Same with Buck when he goes up to that flying thing to shoot it. "OK i will very awkwardly run up and fire!"
Maybe cos they were other players playing ? You can't have nice canned animations for a player controlled character, it depends, the guy playing as that character, ran up, stopped and shot a rocket. It looked bad , yes.

As for me, the whole level was COD with Destiny colours and themes. Nothing even spoke HALO to me.

343's choices with the storyline are obviously up for debate, but they seem to be making decisions based on logical extensions from the first trilogy. Introduce new conflicts in the wake of the human-covenant war and at the same time explore the Forerunners, remove the remaining emotional support from Chief to force him to change, and so on. You can argue with the implementation but the directions were fine IMHO.

The problem with the Forerunner exploration is that they transformed a sense-of-wonder background into a soap about bitchy egos and the antagonist is then "killed" by MC with the help of a QTE. That deserves an auto-facepalm...

Why not extend it in a way that the Flood itself would have been a weapon thrown at the Milkyway/Forerunner protectorate by some extra galactic force and the Halo installations had a deeper function than just dealing with the Flood.

That would have added a lot room to grow the background, new enemies and while revisiting/exploring Halo they might have found out that the Forerunners didn't just die out but went "elsewhere" for some "reason" and could return any "moment". Just a simple plot skeleton to set the course for another trilogy based on KISS with a lot different conflict scenarios.

Any SF writer could have told them that if you fool around with the core mystery of the universe you better know what you're doing, think it through and foreshadow something even bigger to fall back on if you screw it up.

The same issue with the Master Chief. A SF space-opera got converted into a drama soap with Cortana. Now it's about touchy feelings. The master chief was always impersonal so people could self-insert themselves into the story. But what purpose does it serve to suddenly give him a veneer of a character? Should we suddenly "feel" with him that he "lost" the most important "friend"/"help" or even worse "love-interest"? To me that looked like they hired the wrong genre script writer who missed the genre and got too "ambitious". Neither wouldn't it surprise if they thought they needed more drama/emotions to make Halo attractive for some female gamer audience.

Back