Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Yes. Literally a multiplayer map with a video before and after for the 'story', and a set of scripted objectives. They also control the map routes, locking doors, but, on the PC at least, they didn't update the AI, so the bots hang around a door they cannot pass. The PC version isn't quite like the PS2 game I remember...

But it was Galactic Conquest that solo players enjoyed most from BF2. As a framework to spawn bot matches, it's a great idea, and not hard to pull of by any stretch.

All of that is true and the highlight is that the two Battlefront games were essentialy built on the then dominant hardware of PlayStation 2, ported to Xbox 1 and PC cosmetically unchanged.

The PS4 and Xbox One hardware has been out since 2013 so by the November release of this game the consoles will be two years old.

How much progress can be made to make buy now or then much more powerful development tools?

I'm pretty sure the PC version of BF2 is a visual downgrade from PS2 going by YT videos. Okay, 1080p60 is nice, but the lighting (baked scenery and scenery shadows) seems weaker to me. Dunno if there are mods that'll tweak this.

All of that is true and the highlight is that the two Battlefront games were essentialy built on the then dominant hardware of PlayStation 2, ported to Xbox 1 and PC cosmetically unchanged.

The PS4 and Xbox One hardware has been out since 2013 so by the November release of this game the consoles will be two years old.

How much progress can be made to make buy now or then much more powerful development tools?

A ton of improvement. Dropping off support for older hardware allows you to spend time to optimize code for modern methods. Your talking about a game released on 5 platforms released on the launch window of both consoles, compared to a new game with 2 less platforms leveraging newer techniques previously unavailable to them before.

I'm pretty sure the PC version of BF2 is a visual downgrade from PS2 going by YT videos. Okay, 1080p60 is nice, but the lighting (baked scenery and scenery shadows) seems weaker to me. Dunno if there are mods that'll tweak this.

I have the PC version of Battlefront 1 and 2 after getting rid of the console versions (due to HDD faster load times versus Xbox 1) iirc other than resolution choice and framerate there was some post processing or bloom added? I could be wrong...I haven't played for a while but remember thinking it wasn't much of an upgrade visually.

we already know that, but the big question for consoles versions is if it'll be a call of duty 60fps or a battlefield 4 "60"fps :p
and at what resolution.

My money is on PS4 900p @ 60fps. Maybe Xbox would support dynamic resolution change. But keep in mind frostbite 3 has been drastically updated to support physical based rendering. Either way it should look very very good.

Surely checkbox warriors are used to 900p now for the Xbox one?

PS4 gameplay footage:

I'm a bit disappointed by the amount of auto-aim for shooting and no dismemberment for lightsaber combat...bah

Last edited:
Is it a first person shooter or a third person shooter? Kind of hard to tell from that video. Hopefully it's the former.

Is it just me, or were the graphics shown off at the PS E3 conference (the Survival mission) noticeable better than the 'Walker Assault' footage I posted earlier (which is labelled as running on PS4)

Is it just me, or were the graphics shown off at the PS E3 conference (the Survival mission) noticeable better than the 'Walker Assault' footage I posted earlier (which is labelled as running on PS4)
It's not you. This was PC footage while the Both battle was PS4. Using Both to showcase the console version is a smart PR choice given that mostly everything on the screen is white thus hiding plenty of Aliasing.

Well, the Walker mission looked good enough for me. All I'm worried about now are frame rate and typical DICE launch bugs.

Back