The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2015 edition

It's looking like a Rare collection may be coming, but it's probably not the new Rare game that's been hinted at...

Mounds of salt & all that. :)

Tommy McClain
It was true in the end. But I couldn't watch the E3 -work, then got home in time but my connection is running very slow ,it's 10MB but ran at 1MB, gotta call my ISP- and I couldn't watch the E3 show 'cos I was trying to fix the mess.

I wonder.., what happened to Battletoads? Has it been in the conference?

Maybe they just used the source of Xenia. (or more likely used the executable of the already available x86 version, the games not xenia (didn't read right first time lol) and modified it for xbox one)

Last edited:
Maybe they just used the source of Xenia. (or more likely used the executable of the already available x86 version and modified it for xbox one)
:eek:Certainly Xenia runs some games better than the Xbox One as of now, say Nights into Dreams and Crazy Taxi

Maybe they just used the source of Xenia. (or more likely used the executable of the already available x86 version and modified it for xbox one)

Didn't one of the original emulator(s) author get a job at microsoft? Maybe it was the xbox origi al emulator I'm thinking of and it might have only been an internship. It's been too many years.

Well, one thing the Xbox One has in its favour is the OS setup. Essentially the game runs in its own OS, on top of a light system-level hypervisor OS. It's not like running an emulator inside Windows. They can basically write an Emulator OS that's closer to the hardware. That might help them a bit.

They did a good job with the conference in general, played it straight to the home crowd and saving any 'distractions' that might appeal more to the European crowd for Europe, which in the last few years they hardly even bothered to show up for, so that may promise some serious progress as well. They did well not to include Call of Duty this time I think, there has been too much of that and Battlefield. They made up with the Indies mostly now it seems by making publishing to Win10 and Xbox equally easy, and in general just continued to right wrongs, also promising a dashboard overhaul later this year. The presentation also wasn't as monotonously violent as last year, though that was partly because the violence was a lot les realistic looking. If I caught that correctly, I liked Nathan Fillian as a voice in Halo, but he seemed so much better than the rest of the cast that I almost hope that above anything else, they upgrade the rest of the voices as well. Multiplayer may be the star again though. Gears 4 looked good too, but very far off (Holiday 2016). Lara looked good but again with crazy pacing - running and or climbing over crumbling surface was in most all the big titles shown here (Halo, Gears, Lars ...).

I was clearly right (was obvious enough) about the Minecraft purchase purpose, I congratulate them on delivering it almost exactly as I expected, minus the actual building being done with the device itself, and I am going out on a limb here and say that Hololens, while being the last VR/AR device announced is clearly the first with a true killer app. If they can actually manage to make that thing affordable and work stand-alone for, say, $399, this could be a whole lot more successful than any VR device if it manages to release along with the rest. Even if not, they have a nice segment currently all to their own basically and this will easily find plenty of uses. However, there is a lot of money out there that will only be spent once, so the success of VR may still influence their chances, and, say, VR LEGO World, could end up being a meaningful competitor. But if they can stop a Minecraft VR from happening, that's terrible but good strategy all the same.

Anyway, starting to ramble, but in their current position of lesser hardware they really need strong first party exclusives to compete and it is clear they know it, and are positioning themselves well to reclaim at least some of the U.S. Market. A solid presentation altogether.

Yes, that is Nathan Fillion voicing "Buck" who is one of the characters in Halo ODST. It seems he's become a Spartan IV and has a roll in Halo 5.

Checking out the Xbox Daily stuff for hopefully more details from what was at the show. Talking about Gears of War remaster to start.

Also, screw that $150 for the elite controller. Was willing to go around half that price if it was good.

Yeah, I am completely shocked at the $150 for the controller. I was thinking $75 to $80 range at most, though I was hoping it would be $60.

The Xbox 360 emulation was a matter of "want to" for Microsoft. It was always going to be doable for them, especially with the XBOne's eSRAM available to be a stand-in for the 360's eDRAM. I remember bkillian speaking on the arduous task of thoroughly testing each of the supported titles being a much bigger "cost" than actually making the games work for the team that handled the 360's original Xbox emulation.

Yeah, I am completely shocked at the $150 for the controller. I was thinking $75 to $80 range at most, though I was hoping it would be $60.

Yeah, just don't see the need to pay THAT much for a controller even if it makes some games easier/better.

I actually am pretty happy with the current controller minus what seems to be the trend these days of including a audio jack in the controller.

Even if none of the content appealed to you, the best part of this conference was the general pacing. Very little talking, and straight to the point. I wasn't sure I truly appreciated it until I realized the amount of content they went through in 1.5 hours in comparison to EA's conference (also 1.5hrs)

I'm such a noob with competitive FPS MP that I think this controller is meant to be that edge when all else is equal. For me unless it autoplays and shoots, jumps, ducks, takes cover, etc; I'll still get owned by most players online.

I can hold my own with fighting games though.

Back