The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2015 edition

Playing to the home crowd. Nothing for me unfortunately, maybe the game after Halo. 360 compatibility is cool.

Meh. I expected much more.

Conference didn't have the hype value we've seen in previous years but honestly I think the titles shown have more substance than we've seen in a while. COD absense was very provocative.... I think the BC move is good but clearly its an attempt to get the 360 audience to migrate to the XB1, BC IMO is an attempt to tap into 360 users who are not migrating to XB1...

The indie gems Beyond Eyes_ and Ashen and Rare's Sea of Thieves is what got me interested. Rest was the way they usually are.

The hololens was very cool, but wonder if its a core thing. Division didn't really show us gameplay.

Bring on the next conference :D ! Sony time now.

MS could have totally lit up E3 if they showed QB, Scalebound, and Crackdown. But I guess they had to space things out with Gamescom which I guess I'm okay with.

About what I expected. Backwards compatibility was also a great touch.

For me personally I was reasonably underwhelmed. Way too much time spent on indies and Hololens and many of the games looked very lackluster visually next to Halo 5 including Fallout. The Division demo one of my most anticipated of E3 was really...nothing. Nothing too exciting from Rare But Halo 5 looked incredible. The new controller is cool but again I fear for that price, controllers keep getting more and more expensive as is, pushing $100, what consoles used to cost. I was not really impressed by Gears 4 either, which I would have been really excited for had you told me it was there. However Gears Ultimate is pretty cool both the instant beta and August 25th news. Forza 6 they barely showed, hopefully more with some of these games will be coming during the week.

I guess they'll want the big star to be BC but all I can say is good luck with that. Smart thinking by Sony to not bother at all. They should not be worrying about that at all, applying those resources to push for say $299 would have much bigger impact. I fear this is Spencer wanting to please everybody and play good guy to twitter requests all the time even when it's a bad idea.

Last edited:
Playing to the home crowd. Nothing for me unfortunately, maybe the game after Halo. 360 compatibility is cool.

Meh. I expected much more.

I'm confused as to your comment. You can see by Ranger's reaction that this was certainly NOT MS playing to the home crowd and he didn't get enough Haloz! and CODs! and MS spent too much time on atmospheric indies and VR and minecraft.

This was severely lacking in any big exclusive news, maybe the 2:1 or better WW sales is starting to take hold in Sony's bargaining or simply making devs say 'even you don't have enough cash for that Phil'.

I wonder why BC so late in the game, I guess they want to augment the library with 360 games, but is this real BC? If so why not at launch?
Stimulate sales from casual 360ers that have seen no reason to get the new console I guess.

I wonder if it's a GaiKai type deal.

Are you suggesting my opinion is wrong and I should reassess?

No one excited that Microsoft is going to allow PC mods for Fallout 4 on Xbox?

Overall, it was a good show. They didn't talk much. They just showed the games. BC is surprising. I don't personally care, but some people do. The new controller looks great. The visuals for Halo, Tomb Raider and Gears 4 looked great. That Rare pirate game looks interesting. The ocean looks awesome. Is it an MMO? Recored, or whatever it's called, might be neat, but I won't get excited until here's more gameplay detail. Lots of great indie titles shown in the sizzle reel. Seems like Forza added a lot of stuff its fans have been asking for. The Minecraft demo was amazing, but I don't know if that's really enough of a selling point for gaming on Hololens. The Oculus thing is dumb. No idea what the SteamVR partnership is.

I wonder why BC so late in the game, I guess they want to augment the library with 360 games, but is this real BC? If so why not at launch?

They don't want any more ppl with X360s to upgrade to a ps4. Remember when MS said "If you want backward compatibility, you are backward" ?

Good move, definitely sways the decision.

Are you suggesting my opinion is wrong and I should reassess?

Your opinion that they were playing to the home crowd? Perhaps it would alleviate my confusion if you defined "home crowd" because the typical home crowd for MS consoles are shooter fans and you can tell by their reactions on here that they are the ones most displeased.

Is it your opinion, then, that MS was trying to play to the home crowd and failed miserably? Or do you have a different definition of what the home crowd for a MS console actually is?

I care about BC so my wife can play her Lips signing games again! We were close to picking up a 360 just for it.

I'm looking forward to the UI redesign they will show this week. Controller should be awesome.

I was watching the viewer count on the YT stream, capped out around 260k. I'll be interested how that compares to Sony's later.

Sony should be the favorite there because of more popularity this gen and I think the 8PM start time would help a lot with USA viewership rather than when everybody is at work.

First, I do not think they've failed miserably. I feel that the conference wasn't for me, I'm European and most things seemed catered to a US audience. Granted, it's at a US conference, but I'm not sure that I expect it to change dramatically in Germany.

The Forza showing was specially playing to the home crowd, a Ford (a nice one for sure), and former glories. Then we had things like Halo, which is still very much Halo - not sure why I expect any different. Big space marines. Gears of War, same again.

Then more shooters (not that I hate them) Rainbow Six Seige and The Division.

I don't know, the conference FOR ME, was playing to the crowd and was a by-the-numbers Xbox conference.

Again, nothing wrong with that! Just quite simply, not for me.

The biggest thing was backwards compatibility. I expected more.

Your opinion that they were playing to the home crowd? Perhaps it would alleviate my confusion if you defined "home crowd" because the typical home crowd for MS consoles are shooter fans and you can tell by their reactions on here that they are the ones most displeased.

AFAIR the big titles of that conference were a Halo sequel, a gears sequel, a fable sequel, a rare ?anthology? and a forza sequel.

I'm not sure if 'playing to the home crowd' is correct, but it's certainly true that a large focus of their strategy is to encourage X360 owners to upgrade to an XB1.

Remember when MS said "If you want backward compatibility, you are backward" ?

That was Don Mattrick, and he was probably the worst thing that ever happened to the XBox division, ever.
It's too bad that he apparently had such a big influence on designing the XBone.
The budget spent on TV stuff and mandatory Kinect 2 would have been so much better spent on higher performing hardware IMO...
BTW, he also got kicked out of Zynga a couple of months ago, after apparently failing to do anything productive for the company.

As for the X360 BC, I wish they released an official emulator for Windows 10, just for Red Dead Redemption, Halo and Gears of War.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back