The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2015 edition

Hmm, Halo 5 looks really good compared to some of the other games we are seeing. I saw some aliasing for sure, but otherwise was pretty sharp. Some of this 3rd party stuff still looks early (being nice).

Ughh, backward compatibility. Why?

Because I have a stack of 360 games I haven't got rid of yet that I can now play on the Xb1 without starting the lawn mower of the 360? Or that I can also play with people who haven't upgraded to the Xb1 yet? OR because now I can free up my third HDMI on my TV for a PS4 by selling, trading, or throwing away my 360?

Not sure if you were serious with that question. It's a backlog of all 360 games - for free, including your digital catalog that you purchased on the 360.

Hmm, Halo 5 looks really good compared to some of the other games we are seeing. I saw some aliasing for sure, but otherwise was pretty sharp. Some of this 3rd party stuff still looks early (being nice).

Yeah, it is making the other games look last gen.

Did I see a downgrade in The Division?

They were a bit vague. They mentioned hundreds of titles and more to follow but they also said it was native. So uh, anybody's guess.
hmmmm......very curious. Native....emulation ahs been proven hard on PC all these years. Hard to imagine how they will do it on XBOXOne.

What are you people watching on that you can tell the quality (visually) of the games? I can't see crap well enough to determine Rez and I'm at work, on a huge pipe, and I've tried both Twitch and Xbox.com and they're both crap.

They were a bit vague. They mentioned hundreds of titles and more to follow but they also said it was native. So uh, anybody's guess.

I thought I heard some hint of cloud in there?

Dunno how the heck they're gonna emulate the 3.2 ghz 360 CPU except on the cloud....or the GPU?

Nice! How will it work?

Supposedly you can just put your disc in if it is supported. Starting with a 100 titles with more to follow. It is available now for preview members and I think fall for everyone else. Other X1 features available like screenshot and upload studio with X360 games.

I thought I heard some hint of cloud in there?
I may have missed some talk, I was switching streams at the time.

Dunno how the heck they're gonna emulate the 3.2 ghz 360 CPU except on the cloud....or the GPU?
Dynamic recompile of code to 80x86. It's how most cross-architecture emulation is done these days.

You would be re-downloading the game when putting the original game in the X1. So they're just rebuilding the 360 games to X1 hardware. And they must have created software to do this without developer assistance.
My guess is this. You get a new binary (or bunch of binaries) but re-use the old assets.

What are you people watching on that you can tell the quality (visually) of the games? I can't see crap well enough to determine Rez and I'm at work, on a huge pipe, and I've tried both Twitch and Xbox.com and they're both crap.

I'm using the Xbox Live Events interactive app on X1 and it has been flawless for me on my end.

Back