XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

Lalaland

Regular
Supporter
So MS has done it and I'm baffled as to how so I'm hoping folks can clue me in. So far we know:
Disc is inserted but title is downloaded
Is not cloud leveraged and is running locally

So IMO either MS has a s/w library that allows them to emulate the Power PC architecture on Jaguar or MS is rebuilding these games as x86 native apps. I'm leaning towards the latter and would suggest that this program will go the way of OG Xbox compatibility and be a limited list of titles but happy to be proved wrong.

So how do folks think MS are pulling this off?

Update:
Compatibility list for the preview version (xbox.com via NeoGAF)
Available games

Banjo Kazooie: N n B
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleBlock Theater
Defense Grid
Geometry Wars Evolved
Hexic HD
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Mass Effect
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Small Arms
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: TIP

So far it's titles with x86 versions or are a part of the Rare HD collection

Last edited:
So MS has done it and I'm baffled as to how so I'm hoping folks can clue me in. So far we now:
Disc is inserted but title is downloaded
Is not cloud leveraged and is running locally

So IMO either MS has a s/w library that allows them to emulate the Power PC architecture on Jaguar or MS is rebuilding these games as x86 native apps. I'm leaning towards the latter and would suggest that this program will go the way of OG Xbox compatibility and be a limited list of titles but happy yro be proved wrong.

So how do folks think MS are pulling this off?
The way I understood, you put the disc in, the X1 will download the game and you play. So they must be going through games and remapping them for the X1. It's not emulation and they're not remakes, so no work done by developers.

I think it are Software patches. So no Hardware compatibility. But a really really great Thing and a real game changer.
So they can still sell xbox 360 games for the one.

The way I understood, you put the disc in, the X1 will download the game and you play. So they must be going through games and remapping them for the X1. It's not emulation and they're not remakes, so no work done by developers.

This is the thing, what is 'remapping'? I know 'refactoring' which is a major job that means you have to scour through your code for any ISA or architecture tricks that are PPC specific and swapping them out for equivalent x86 stuff.

Look at the state of x86 -> PPC emulation last go around it was a long way from covering all of the OG Xbox titles. If this is a 'refactoring' job then I can't see this going that far. If it's emulation then they have a better chance of broader compatibility but the Xenia emulator suggests this isn't possible on the resources in XB1 (or PS4).

Emulate with VM where possible, and recompile the rest. Similar to Xbox games on 360.

So far it's titles with x86 versions or are a part of the Rare HD collection

That makes me think there's no actual emulation - or even backwards compatibility - involved.
Could the XBone be simply downloading a custom version of the PC port?

The XBone should be able to run DX9 titles without a hitch..

I think they recompile binaries on server and replicate 360 APIs on XO like Wine does on Linux for Win apps.

I think they recompile binaries on server and replicate 360 APIs on XO like Wine does on Linux for Win apps.
No recompile. MS does not have the code. GPU shouldn't be that hard (maybe because of some missing fixed function stuff) but the CPU. PowerPC wasn't that fast, but in some situations with optimized code.... I wouldn't think that it would be possible with the xbox one cpu.

GPU shouldn't be that hard (maybe because of some missing fixed function stuff) .

?? really not that hard ... depends on how they do it, if they needed to build a new MMU for the GPU and totally rework the security to use the ARM/AXI bus (that controls ALL security for the XB1) ...

CHj9_VgUYAAvU3k.png:large

everything points to this being a pretty impressive technical feat in my eyes...

Does this mean I get to play Halo: Reach and Gears 3 online with my buddies who refuse to buy an XB1? If so, great! Because the disc tray on my 360 is fucked and my controller is broken.

Reactions: NRP
Does this mean I get to play Halo: Reach and Gears 3 online with my buddies who refuse to buy an XB1? If so, great! Because the disc tray on my 360 is fucked and my controller is broken.
Yeah, as soon as they are compatible ;)
Xbox live xbox360 to xbox one (360 title) is possible, they announced that.

?? really not that hard ... depends on how they do it, if they needed to build a new MMU for the GPU and totally rework the security to use the ARM/AXI bus (that controls ALL security for the XB1) ...

CHj9_VgUYAAvU3k.png:large

everything points to this being a pretty impressive technical feat in my eyes...

that Quote was about original xbox support. This box had an NVidia chip in it. with the ATI/AMD chip it shouldn't be that hard. Except for the fixed function units that are now parts of the general purpose "units".

There you go:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/emulation-is-key-to-microsofts-xbox-backward-compatibility-story/

"What we did was essentially built a virtual Xbox 360 console entirely in software. So when you launch a game via Xbox One Backward Compatibility, you'll see that the game first starts up a virtual Xbox 360 console, then launches the title. The work is ongoing as each title requires individual packaging and validation work to enable that virtual console capability, but we're committed to continually rolling out new titles each month."

I can't wait for this. This is a another Phil Spencer lesson to everyone, and specially those mediocre people behind the Xbox One initial idea.

Finally I can retire my Xbox 360, I need the space in my small desk. The TV is big enough for it -despite being 32", then the Xbox One, and theX360, which was taking dust. Can't wait to play my classics, from Street Fighter 2, to Darkstalkers, and Skyrim!! God, Skyrim. hahahah

Back