Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

I can easily see it as a XO peripheral, but expect full integration and functionality by the time the next Xbox arrives.
That depends entirely on price and what entertainment can be created for it. If AR games feel pretty limited, they may not bother trying to position Hololens as a gaming peripheral. Likewise, if it's a $1000 a headset, they won't be aiming for an XB1 gaming peripheral. And before eastmen jumps in with a BOM saying there's no way it'll be $1000, if MS find a business market that'll take up every headset they can make at $1000, they aren't going to bother selling it for $300 to gamers. Hololens is very much an unknown at this point, and I'm tempted to move this thread to the PC forum as it doesn't really belong with console gaming until XB1 support (or a standalone gaming headset) is officially announced. I guess we'll see where it ends up after E3.

Hard to imagine hololens being significantly below $1000 any time soon. It has a high-end smartphone level of hardware performance, two rgb micro displays, a powerful pulse laser, ToF camera, expensive multi-layer holographic gratings. The competitors that are out are using monochrome displays with single layer holographic gratings (although it gives them a 85% transmissivity advantage) with no ToF camera, no cpu, and they cost $800.

Hololens will be a big competitor to the next google glass, but I don't see what it's got to do with xbox gaming. MS new business model looks like everything exists only to help windows 10, including the xbox.

you all honestly think it will cost more to manufacture a hololens than

1. all that custom xb1+kinect2 silicon/hw ( $300)
2. a surface pro ($800)
3. a Lumia 940 ($700)

I mean its' not like its a Surface HUB they're building ... I honestly can't imagine it being as expensive as people here are making out!

I'm not talking about BOM, I'm talking retail. It's a niche right now. They could sell it for no profit, but why?

Google glass was $1500.
Most AR glasses currently available are $1000. At least the ones with good tech.

The market for AR will change in the next few years, but I'm not seeing a low cost market until google glass 2 participate in a price war, and that's not anytime soon.

Here's a list of competitors, MS is using similar technology as everybody else.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/augmented-reality-smart-glasses/

Epson have a nice one with android: $699
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/moverio-bt-200-smart-glasses.do?ref=van_moverio_2014

Most of the lower cost ones target the information display as the main app, MS is a bigger product and needs a lot more hardware including kinect camera.

Last edited:
As mentioned in the Morpheus thread, OVR needs to have profitable hardware. Sony can get away with selling at cost as long as they can sell plenty of VR content.

Plus OVR on XB1 is moot at this point. So far all that's been shown is streaming XB1 games to a VR room running on PC. There's no announcement of OVR on XB1 as a VR headset.

In fact, has Hololens even been announced as an XB1 peripheral?

Nope, and as I mentioned, VR is completely Sony's territory right now to succeed or mess up.

Personally, I don't think either Morpheus or Oculus will succeed. They may have a small bubble of success similar to 3D TVs, but 4-5 years from now, I'll bet they'll both be barely relevant for anything other than a very small niche of people.

Regards,
SB

... personally ... a killer Occulus experience may convince strong sales .... Me wishful thinking BUT ... Halo 60fps on Occulus + controller ....

If 343 + XB + MS + Occulus does it right, it could convince lots of unit sales ...

you all honestly think it will cost more to manufacture a hololens than

1. all that custom xb1+kinect2 silicon/hw ( $300)
2. a surface pro ($800)
3. a Lumia 940 ($700)

I mean its' not like its a Surface HUB they're building ... I honestly can't imagine it being as expensive as people here are making out!

1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - Yes

It has more hardware than any of those devices. Likely more hardware involved than all 3 of those devices combined. It also features hardware that is limited only to the HoloLens, thus no economies of scale to rely on to reduce the cost of some of the components.

It will require SSD storage unlike the XBO. While it borrows technology from Kinect 2, it is significantly improved compared to Kinect 2 but in ways that facilitate it's use in a holographic stage. It has a minimum of 7-10 sensors, more than all 3 devices combined. It has more processing units than any of those devices. It has a custom holographic display. Etc.

Getting away from just the build components. It's a device that has no competition aimed at a market segment where money isn't as important as the capabilities of the devices they are purchasing. Where many of the businesses spend 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars on a single piece of one off software to provide a solution unique to that business.

It's already been stated by Microsoft that there will be no consumer version for at least the next 2 years. There is absolutely zero reason for Microsoft to give it consumer level pricing when they can give it corporate level pricing.

When the device is ready for the consumer market, Microsoft hopes that there will be both compelling software for consumers as well as cost reductions in the hardware to enable consumer level pricing.

And most importantly. Microsoft, when asked, have stated that it will be significantly more expensive than current gen consoles when it is finally available for purchase.

Regards,
SB

Nope, and as I mentioned, VR is completely Sony's territory right now to succeed or mess up.

Personally, I don't think either Morpheus or Oculus will succeed. They may have a small bubble of success similar to 3D TVs, but 4-5 years from now, I'll bet they'll both be barely relevant for anything other than a very small niche of people.

Regards,
SB

Is there any xbox gamer who wants VR on XB1?

Is there any xbox gamer who wants VR on XB1?

I was real excited back in the 80's for VR, but now? Not so much. Can't think of a game or IP that would be so epic with VR. I think the reason you see a lot of interest in VR on XB1 is because Sony is bringing VR to PS4. There's the mentality that they are missing out on something that the other guy is getting. Hey, I get that way sometimes too. Not all of us can afford to buy every console(myself included). Microsoft's partnership with Oculus shows they don't necessarily want to be left behind either. Whether or not that means we'll be able to use it on the XB1 directly I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Tommy McClain

Yeah not a big interest for VR from me. I am excited by the halolens tech though, but only if they can get it somehow smaller than the clunky looking helmet harness thing they got going on now.

Dreaming for something maybe a little bigger than a wraparound style Oakley glasses with a much wider FOV...maybe they can get there in the next 10 years.

Seems like Microsoft just confirmed that the virtual living room concept needs to Stream to Oculus via a PC. Microsoft also just announced a partnership with Valve VR. Although what that means they haven't said.

wonder when MS is going to spill the beans on all this. relationships with valve and oculus on vr is interesting. Will both headsets worth with windows 10.

The Hololens was amazing. My gf is a teacher for 6,7,8th grades and I sent her that video , she said her students would go nuts , all they do is talk about minecraft and if they could play it like that then hololens would sell extremely well

The Hololens was amazing. My gf is a teacher for 6,7,8th grades and I sent her that video , she said her students would go nuts , all they do is talk about minecraft and if they could play it like that then hololens would sell extremely well
Now think about price.

Back