AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

Could you comment on the Cape Verde / Oland / Pitcairn(Curacao) thing, too?
Since AMD does list them as supporting OpenCL 2.0 in HD8000M series and later, but not in HD7000 or HD8000 (OEM) series
It shouldn't include Pitcairn, Verde, and Oland; Tahiti had some extra compute functionality and I recall that being a target but I don't know which side it landed. HD8000M series includes parts based on Iceland which is the same arch as Tonga (GCN3).

It shouldn't include Pitcairn, Verde, and Oland; Tahiti had some extra compute functionality and I recall that being a target but I don't know which side it landed. HD8000M series includes parts based on Iceland which is the same arch as Tonga (GCN3).
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-...sdk/system-requirements-driver-compatibility/
The OpenCL 2.0 list separates HD8000M series to their subseries', for example HD8900M which is Nepture (Pitcairn/Curacao) only, and all the others, Iceland surely can't cover all of of those?

Has Iceland been reviewed anywhere, by the way?

I guess no. But which product is it anyways?

Given that there are articles 1 year old stating that Iceland is set to replace Cape Verde.
But Cape Verde is Chelsea, Heathrow, Venus, total disaster if you ask me.

Maybe Cape Verde is also Iceland in the Radeon R9 M370X.

First Euro-dealer prices and delivery dates for Radeon R300 models from Gigabyte, MSI and Sapphire
http://www.3dcenter.org/news/erste-...adeon-r300-modellen-von-gigabyte-msi-sapphire

Terrible news if true. Radeon 290X cards can be had for around 300€, depending on weekly promotions here and there.
With the 390 apparently starting at 50% more than the 290X, and the cut-down Tonga R9 380 at practically the same price as the much more powerful 290X, this new generation is going to be completely obliterated by reviewers and customer opinions.

Can't they just go back to naming chips with numbers?
I got no clue which chip means which product segment now except for a few at the top/old top :confused:

Ermergherd :runaway:

This only means that AMD's marketing department did their job wonderfully. By rebranding not only the cards' names but also even the internal names they use for the chips, they will successfully convince some people that the R7 370 is not using a ~3.5 year-old chip that won't support any of the new (or actually rather old already) features like TrueAudio and FreeSync.
They'll be fooling customers like real champs.

Let's just hope that this actually brings some money into AMD and helps them keep afloat.
Even if it's at the cost of their popularity, maybe the marketing department's apparent masochistic madness with the purposely dishonest naming schemes will keep their talents' jobs until they can get around with the 14/16nm GPUs.

Hilbert Hagedoorn; Guru3D said:
Media & press do not have samples just yet. Next week there will be an event about Series 300 among others and hopefully somewhere next week the sample should be here as well.

The announcement date is E3 the 16th during the announced livestream and later that'll be followed by the reviews. I can't share that date though.

Terrible news if true. Radeon 290X cards can be had for around 300€, depending on weekly promotions here and there.
With the 390 apparently starting at 50% more than the 290X, and the cut-down Tonga R9 380 at practically the same price as the much more powerful 290X, this new generation is going to be completely obliterated by reviewers and customer opinions.

if full rebrands there might be a backlash that sinks amd for good.
if tweaks and refinements it might save them.
wouldnt want to work at the PR department atm.

Has Iceland been reviewed anywhere, by the way?

M370X? As I posted before, it seems to be a prime candidate for being GCN1.2 GCN3.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37461727&postcount=133

There's a proper review out now, they say,

The GeForce GT 750M (GDDR5 model) is roughly 30% slower than the Radeon R9 M370X, which is another 30% behind the GeForce GTX 950M

and that it throttles,

The Radeon GPU cannot maintain its core clock of 800 MHz. The clock often fluctuates between 675 and 725 MHz, but occasionally drops to 400 MHz.

I wanted to check out the numbers, but they seem quite wonky and all over the place with different laptops seemingly running different clocks and throttling differently?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html

No TDP figures confirmed, but if we assume that it uses same power as the maxwell chip, 30% behind doesn't sound too bad or does it?.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/933-7/consommation-efficacite-energetique.html

375w ouch
Sapphire seems to list the maximum provided by the power connectors, as for example all of their R9 290(X)'s with 6+8pin list < 300W rather than the actual TDP, including stock ones

edit: Corrected :love: to < 3, damn automatic smileys

Sapphire seems to list the maximum provided by the power connectors, as for example all of their R9 290(X)'s with 6+8pin list < 300W rather than the actual TDP, including stock ones

edit: Corrected :love: to < 3, damn automatic smileys

yea I get that BUT PR and marketing is not doing their jobs as if that gets out people will know it as 375w vs what the actual use is.
its just not a good idea by far to post it that way

Back