Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

30FPS for H5?
jV9Ck.png

Nah... Keep it locked 60FPS even if it means making it look like a "prettier" Halo 4.

in all honesty ... this is 343 studios, and this is Halo Next .. this is THE Xbox Game ... I'd be suprised if the devs and this game didn't push the Xbox and its api/stack to it's limits ...

So I'd be rightly dissapointed if they couldn't achieve 1080p MINIMUM at 60fps on a Win10 core

There's more to pushing a system than '1080p'.

And same goes for 60 FPS. 1080P and 60 FPS per se have nothing to do with pushing anything to it's limits.

1080P was unlikely anyway given the large number of 900P titles on X1, and the beta being 720P, 60 FPS just completely rules it out IMO.

Although I did fire up that Halo 4 on MCC and it does look really great at 60 FPS 1080P. Better imo than many current gen shooters.

To put it one way, you can probably do the same level of visuals at 1080 30 as you could at 720/60. Or at the very least as 900/60.

So you could trade 720/60 FPS straight up for 1080/30 more or less, at the same level of visual quality, in theory.

Wasn't he the editor in chief at PC Gamer magazine at one time?

Anyway, The Book of Eli was pretty good.

One of his major accomplishments was also the story writing for Duke Nukem Forever.../cringe. According to Wikipedia, anyway. Oh and that fantastic storyline from Prey...er wait, did I just type that? But that's somewhat balanced out by Gears of War and Telltale Game's - The Walking Dead.

Hopefully, it's not on the Duke Nukem Forever side of his accomplishments.

Regards,
SB

Yup, looks like a prettier Halo 4 at this point. I guess they're not using PBR? The armor has that same plasticky sheen all Halo games have had.
And I really don't like 343i's armour designs, they look too fussy and mecha style compared to Bungie's simpler, blockier forms.

As for framerate, I think they should stick with 30 fps, use excellent quality motion blur and do whatever Criterion did on NFS:HP to get a 83 ms response rate - that's only 17 ms worse than running at 60 fps. The motion blur will mask judder and you'd hardly notice the difference in response rate - hell with the amount of good frame interpolation options on TVs these days you'd just get your set to up convert it to 100hz or 200hz.

NFS:HP looked so much better at 60 FPS cap (once they fixed the wonkiness of uncapped framerate in that game on PC) and motion blur turned off. Not my type of game, but it was actually somewhat pretty once those two adjustments were made. Before that it was rather bleh, IMO. That said, it was actually hilarious trying to play it with uncapped framerate before they fixed it as the game and simulation speed was tied to framerate. Hence at 60 FPS, everything in the game ran twice as fast making driving hilarious.

Regards,
SB

in all honesty ... this is 343 studios, and this is Halo Next .. this is THE Xbox Game ... I'd be suprised if the devs and this game didn't push the Xbox and its api/stack to it's limits ...

So I'd be rightly dissapointed if they couldn't achieve 1080p MINIMUM at 60fps on a Win10 core
Have you heard nothing sebbbi has said about the limitations imposed by either a 1080p choice or a 60 fps choice, let alone both? Don't get caught up in all this checkbox warrior nonsense.

And LOL @ "This is 343 studios" comment!

And same goes for 60 FPS. 1080P and 60 FPS per se have nothing to do with pushing anything to it's limits.

1080P was unlikely anyway given the large number of 900P titles on X1, and the beta being 720P, 60 FPS just completely rules it out IMO.

Although I did fire up that Halo 4 on MCC and it does look really great at 60 FPS 1080P. Better imo than many current gen shooters.

To put it one way, you can probably do the same level of visuals at 1080 30 as you could at 720/60. Or at the very least as 900/60.

So you could trade 720/60 FPS straight up for 1080/30 more or less, at the same level of visual quality, in theory.
As @NRP said sebbbi wrote time ago about the fact that 720/60fps is harder to achieve than 1080p/30fps for whatever reason. Since they didn't say a thing about the resolution, I dont know what to think, framerate is fixed -hopefully so...

MS knows 1080p is the new rallying-cry (buzzword) for this generation... so I can't picture H5 not being 1080p from their own internal/first party studios. More than likely, it will have native 1080p cutscenes and a dynamic resolution during gaming.

MS would be much better served by just ensuring H5 gameplay is awesome, rather than relying on graphical check box crutches.

If the gameplay is great, no one (who matters) will give a shit about the resolution.

Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic on either front.

I didn't play enough of it to form an opinion. I only played a few 4v4 TS games on small maps. The animation and movement was pretty solid as I recall.

My negativity towards 343i stems from H4 and how they botched the hell out of the MCC. I honestly don't think they are capable of making an awesome Halo game, technically or creatively.

My negativity towards 343i stems from H4 and how they botched the hell out of the MCC. I honestly don't think they are capable of making an awesome Halo game, technically or creatively.

Aww, I see. I haven't played Halo game since H2. :oops:

Anyhow, the current art direction looks gorgeous... and some of the RUL site pictures look stunning. Hopefully, 343i can pull it all together.

I didn't play enough of it to form an opinion. I only played a few 4v4 TS games on small maps. The animation and movement was pretty solid as I recall.

Technically wise, Halo 4 isn't bad at all. It's the first i343 Studios game. Bungie were at their peak with Halo 2 which was impressive. But it wasn't until Halo Reach when they hired new people to work on the NPCs animation that they achieved excellence and it can be seen in Reach. What's worse is that they wanted creative freedom and they go with Activision for this game called Destiny :confused: , which without the huge marketing campaign and funds from Activision would rather be another game in the 3€ bin

Technically H4 was an abomination to the Halo series.

You could not carry forward power weapons as they would disappear as soon as you dropped them. You could not carry forward vehicles, as that carefully hijacked wraith tank just disappears as soon as you cross a magical boundary.

Those 2 main items go against the very spirit and essence of what defines Halo gameplay.

There were areas in H4 where I had trouble with the depth/structure perception because of the blooming and the mirror surfaces. Though I actually liked the special level tribute to old 2d/3d rail shooters it was really hard to see where to fly visually.

Halo1-3/Reach were pseudo open world shooter but Halo4 felt like a corridor shooter with strange borders. But the worst thing was the gameplay which just lacked everything which once defined Halo for me. No real dynamic battle dramaturgy and enemies with no personality. Some levels felt like they were made by some rookie playing with the level editor. That game really annoyed me.

Technically H4 was an abomination to the Halo series.

You could not carry forward power weapons as they would disappear as soon as you dropped them. You could not carry forward vehicles, as that carefully hijacked wraith tank just disappears as soon as you cross a magical boundary.

Those 2 main items go against the very spirit and essence of what defines Halo gameplay.

Yup.

Bungie always got hate for not maxxxXing out every screenshot, but as both they and common sense tell you, leaving enough memory so you don't have to flush items (and fun gameplay) at checkpoints, and having the overhead to go round a corner and suddenly BAM two scarabs, 8 additional vehicles, multiple power weapons and 20+ NPCs ... means you can't just focus on pretty looking corridors and matchbox sized sandboxes.

343i made the call the cut out the Halo gameplay in order to pump up the detail.

There were areas in H4 where I had trouble with the depth/structure perception because of the blooming and the mirror surfaces. Though I actually liked the special level tribute to old 2d/3d rail shooters it was really hard to see where to fly visually.

Yeah, that shooter section was very poorly executed.

Halo1-3/Reach were pseudo open world shooter but Halo4 felt like a corridor shooter with strange borders. But the worst thing was the gameplay which just lacked everything which once defined Halo for me. No real dynamic battle dramaturgy and enemies with no personality. Some levels felt like they were made by some rookie playing with the level editor. That game really annoyed me.

Yup. Promethian behaviour was like something from a second rate PC shooter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NRP
Back