Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Those input lag numbers are averages from only 10 tests which could help explain the differences.

Last edited:
If they're going for 60 fps they might as well go for 60 fps and not some hopeless-as-fuck 35~55 fps travesty.

900p (or preferably some anamorphic pixel equivalent) might be enough to placate the resolution junkies that MS are hoping will mouth-breathe all over their Halo 5 displaying TVs.

Those input lag numbers are averages from only 10 tests which could help explain the differences.
They use Beyond3D as their inspiration for their database and made a statement on that, that's cool of them. Now one comes to understand why we have people like @AlNets drawing lines and studying screenshots so carefully. :)

He'd be doing that anyway, even if he was alone on a desert island ...
:)

1zlwrvs.jpg

The best is Killer Instinct at 60 fps... When playing it, it is so smooth.

by the way, why the input lag of the Xbox One version of Destiny is 96ms with an "Excellent" rate and the PS4 version is 107ms with a "Great" rating? Shouldn't they be the same?

Also Halo games from the TMCC have excellent input lag most of all, except Halo 3 with a great rating and 106ms input lag.

I'm not sure if it actually has anything to do with your question, but I remember MS cut some lag (20% apparently, I remembered it as 30%) out of the wireless signal between Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Dont know/doubt if Sony changed anything between PS3 and PS4.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_reduces_wireless_controller_latency_by_20.html

Microsoft has "redefined" the wireless protocol used in the Xbox One's wireless controller to reduce input lag by 20 per cent over the current Xbox 360 wireless controller.

General manager Zulfi Alam discussed the improvements to the controller's latency during a new Xbox One video posted this afternoon, saying: "In terms of the wireless protocol, we also redefined it completely from scratch.

"There were two goals: first increase the bandwidth of this wireless protocol, significantly more, 20x more than what we have right now. And the other one was to reduce the latency, so the moment you press the fire button, the time it takes to go to your console and back, essentially we reduce that."

Whether or not the average player will notice the difference, however, is debatable.

"It's all milliseconds," adds Alam. "It's essentially been improved by 20 per cent."

Or of course it could be some rendering thing.

Aha, I was wondering about those shots Alstrong was posting! I assumed the first one was a Halo 4 screen but wondered where he was getting them.

I dont see the specific shot he posted on "RUL" though, although I do see some new ones.. Guess I'll have to dig through a mountain of GAF posts to find it/them.

Anyways it looks REALLY nice, I mean really just look at it for a second. But It does kind of look like Halo 4 on steroids. Which is to be expected, I'm sure they're using Halo 4 Engine as the base.

Here is a quick 10 second google Halo 4 screenshot to compare

halo-4-screenshot-20.jpg

Man, Halo 4 was one pretty game. No wonder Journos said Halo 4 in 1080 P in the MCC collection already looks rather next gen (I own MCC and haven't even looked at it, damn Destiny).

Side by side H4 and H5 (yeah this comparison is obviously just for shits and giggles)

cI783Bc.jpg

Last edited:
Here's all the RUL shots in gallery form

http://www.readyuplive.com/halo-5-guardians-assets/

Looks very nice, so much detail on Covenant now. Getting kinda hyped
Yes, nice gallery.

At 60 fps, this should look really good.

I'm not sure what type of art style this is, it's not quite real, but not quite cartooney either. I guess this is a bit grittier than blizzard graphics.

The before and after beta shots are interesting to look at, improved fidelity, but the big one are the Level changes ;)

I'm not sure what type of art style this is, it's not quite real, but not quite cartooney either.
Yeah... metal isn't "metal". It's weird.

edit: specifically talking about the UNSC weapons. I imagine the armour is some sort of... "Warhammer 40K ceramic armour or whatever".

The lighting still looks weird. Not cartoony, but it's... not "real".

Wasn't he the editor in chief at PC Gamer magazine at one time?

Anyway, The Book of Eli was pretty good.
I guess so.... lol I was just looking through. I have no idea how good/bad this will be.

It's just too bad that Nylund isn't doing anything here considering he set the tone with the SIIs (and the Halo universe in general) with his books.

Reactions: NRP
Yup, looks like a prettier Halo 4 at this point. I guess they're not using PBR? The armor has that same plasticky sheen all Halo games have had.
And I really don't like 343i's armour designs, they look too fussy and mecha style compared to Bungie's simpler, blockier forms.

As for framerate, I think they should stick with 30 fps, use excellent quality motion blur and do whatever Criterion did on NFS:HP to get a 83 ms response rate - that's only 17 ms worse than running at 60 fps. The motion blur will mask judder and you'd hardly notice the difference in response rate - hell with the amount of good frame interpolation options on TVs these days you'd just get your set to up convert it to 100hz or 200hz.

Yup, looks like a prettier Halo 4 at this point. I guess they're not using PBR? The armor has that same plasticky sheen all Halo games have had.
And I really don't like 343i's armour designs, they look too fussy and mecha style compared to Bungie's simpler, blockier forms.

As for framerate, I think they should stick with 30 fps, use excellent quality motion blur and do whatever Criterion did on NFS:HP to get a 83 ms response rate - that's only 17 ms worse than running at 60 fps. The motion blur will mask judder and you'd hardly notice the difference in response rate - hell with the amount of good frame interpolation options on TVs these days you'd just get your set to up convert it to 100hz or 200hz.
Not the best example.

I have that game and it screams 30 fps everywhere, the framerate was jumpy and extremely twitchy when I played it back in the day and the blur is Horrible in that game, :( everything looks like covered in Vaseline and blurry, but maybe that was the AA method, probably FXAA.

I stopped playing because I felt confused, I couldn't see detours as easily as I could, and I couldnt see neither feel anything in that game, the IQ was horrible. :(

I was playing Forza 4 those days, which was an exclusive game, and despite running at 60 fps, the textures were like 10 times crisper. Criterion sucks bad. :(

Playing Forza 4 intensively those days didn't help NFS at all, gotta admit, if I played it in isolation I wouldn't mind how bad that game is as much.

I criticised the game a lot because of that -it's in the NFS thread, not making up anything-, but it looked blurry beyond belief and I blamed the PS3 because Criterion went for absolute parity and I was used to the look of X360 games which usually looked crisper, textures wise, specially.

Digital Foundry praised the game a lot, I coulndt believe it.

I was so disappoint because the original NFS 3: Hot Pursuit is one of my favourite games ever.

I also have the NFS game released at Xbox One launch date. 1080p, 30 fps. Horrible again.... Blur everywhere, confusing..., EA shiny shiny stuff...

Last edited:
Yeah... metal isn't "metal". It's weird.

edit: specifically talking about the UNSC weapons. I imagine the armour is some sort of... "Warhammer 40K ceramic armour or whatever".

The lighting still looks weird. Not cartoony, but it's... not "real".

Some of the shots (the actual game ones) seem to have a cel-shade tone to them. Nothing like Crackdown... but more subdued and less off-putting.

Some of the levels in those RUL screenshots are quite detailed...

I have to agree. These shots look good...
H5-Guardians-Fathom-Fishy-Business.jpg

H5-Guardians-Fathom-Hydra.jpg

Yeah a Halo 4 ++ to me plus 60fps is awesome. Very happy. Things look very detailed and with open bigger environments / battles that's just ace.

Can't wait, 2 more days!

Back