"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Note the in the wireframe comparison you did of TLOU & UC3 models against U4's, the first two show all triangles, while the last one does not subdivide square faces. Were they to show all triangles of U4 as in engine, its wireframe would look imediatly much more dense compared to the other two

Ryse is short and corridorish.

I thought it was around average, i would imagine after your first play though you could cut the time, like most games. the level sizes were linear though not much different to other 3rd person games like gears or uncharted ...nothing like skyrim but i thought the maps were pretty good for single player.
Rome

More accessible areas would have been nice too, the game i believe was about 46 gbs.
Note the in the wireframe comparison you did of TLOU & UC3 models against U4's, the first two show all triangles, while the last one does not subdivide square faces. Were they to show all triangles of U4 as in engine, its wireframe would look imediatly much more dense compared to the other two

That capture of Nathan from UC4 (which is from a video dev conference) was rendered in a graphics program with a mixture of assets converted to triangles. In the capture Nathan's torso, eyes, beard, hair, and eye lashes were already triangulated...but regardless of it, i wasn't really gauging it on that premise. whether in quads or in triangles the size of the square edges would be the same size.

Gkrb.png

In UC4's Case Nathan did receive a bump. Comparing the density of the face mesh from the torso and straps, it seems like a blend of an artistic and economical bump. the face mesh is clearly more denser than the rest, not much differently in common with the last of us. i'm thinking 20-25,000 poly increase from Joel, 60-65k....unless Nathan has modeled shoe laces or thread detail on his clothing. There's not too much that sets Nathan apart from Joel outfit and face hair wise.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to geek out and see how much geometry went into the Bloodborne bosses. Some (most) of them are huge and have crazily intricated details.

Why would the cut-scene models even be on the disc in the first place. The cut-scenes are all movies.
For the handful of brief in-game cutscenes that aren't FMVs. There are enough of them in TLOU (and the Uncharteds) that I can't imagine they don't also use the high-defintion meshes.

Yeah, and the Transformers models look boring as hell as well (imho). It's not the amount that counts, but the artist who uses them. Just looking back at, say Final Fantasy XII. That game uses trace amounts of polygons, yet it ultimately looks a lot better than even some of todays games (when rendered at higher than native resolution that is). Just because they took such great care as to where a polygon's needed and where it isn't. Sure, FFXII had a huge budget (for its time) and probably some of the best in class modelers as well... but it ran on a PS2 as well.

Guys, you're confusing the base model's polygon count and the rendered triangle count here, not accounting for using subdivision surfaces.

These numbers are not comparable. The FF demo has not got anything special about it in terms of geometric detail.

Guys, you're confusing the base model's polygon count and the rendered triangle count here, not accounting for using subdivision surfaces.

These numbers are not comparable. The FF demo has not got anything special about it in terms of geometric detail.
ah I got you, 11 million seemed excessive :D

Back