AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

Yeah, it's ok to peddle in rumors, copy them, confirm them, debunk them by making a phone call whatever. And to mark them as such. I understand that they need clicks. Wccftech supposedly did what journalists should be doing: check their own sources. They didn't come up with BS reason and state it as fact. (Hard to believe that I'm taking sides with wccftech...)
You should read the full article. They go on to reason that the rumor is false based on some Demerjian-level of math.

I doubt they even have a source. Probably saw extremetech refuting the rumor with that databook data. Since they couldnt re-use it, brought in the magical source and like a perfect internet journalist threw together a click-bait article for the pre-weekend hits.

How would that work? With 4 DP1.2 inputs connected to an 8K monitor? Weren't there annoying issues with tiled displays?

Come to think of it, do 8K monitors even exist?

How would that work? With 4 DP1.2 inputs connected to an 8K monitor? Weren't there annoying issues with tiled displays?

There are 8K TV's for sure as even last year manufacturers were showing them off during trade shows.

http://www.selfridges.com/en/samsun...dp:1o2|bku:1&gclid=CPft6d3KicYCFUYTwwod7lcAZw
Only £34k but you can buy it ...

http://gizmodo.com/lgs-ludicrous-8k-tv-is-too-insane-for-my-eyes-to-handle-1677790143
LG take

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-110-inch-glassless-3d-8k-s9-series-tv-review
another Sammy

One of the major LCD panel manufacturers (could have been LG) claimed that Apple would release an 8K iMac this year. Could just be BS of course, as you'd need an absolutely monster graphics card to drive such a ludicrous resolution... Even 5K is quite the handful as it is. :)

But luckily, ExtremeTech came to the rescue to at least put some HBM related rumors to rest:
So there we have it: when a component has been published in a databook, that's sufficient proof to debunk claims that said component has been sold for that long, that yields are great, and that cost is fine.

Components get put in databooks to prod potential customers into using them in a future design. This needs to happen as early as possible so that designs can be ready as soon as the component is ready for mass production. The typical time to announce a component when first silicon has just come back from the fab and has shown early signs of life. That doesn't mean you will be able to get your hands on it (early samples are reserved to a select few), it doesn't mean yields are great, it doesn't even mean that all functionality will be there, it definitely doesn't mean that costs will fine.
YMMD!
On an equllay serious note: Seems like there are a ton of HBM products already out in the wild, since 0,8 gbps has already been sold out - it is not liste in recent 2015 data books from Hynix any more (and neither is 160 gbps HBM…)

This just in:

XBox, Playstation and the Nintendo Wii use Mantle!

9MYcLS2.jpg

I knew those TEV units were super-advanced!
Oh, and GCN is not an architecture, it's a translator. Though that description seems to refer to a compiler or a driver.

Could this be VSR at 8K? Never tried VSR so not sure if there's a way to screencap at render res or just after its downscaled.

Back