Android + Chrome = nav bar doesn't always disappear

Pete

Moderate Nuisance
Legend
Except when there's a mod report notification, like the past few days, which could mean this is a site and not a Chrome issue?

I checked Firefox w JavaScript off and on: no problem with the nav bar sliding off the screen when scrolling down the page. So I tried disabling JS in Chrome: no problem. I reenabled JS: problem gone. So maybe it's a Chrome issue after all. Wouldn't surprise me, considering I can't even scroll on some sites.

Wait, maybe it's thread specific? Problem remains in Chrome for the Pirate Islands thread/[URL="http://, JS or no JS"], JS or no JS.[/url]

Last edited:
The top nav bar is supposed to be sticky to the top of the screen, and so not disappear, in the Beyond3D and Beyond3D dark themes. What Android device and Chrome version do you have, and I'll try and replicate.

It doesn't disappear or stick to the top of the browser on the stock HTC M7 browser either.

There is like a 1cm gap between the top of the screen and the navbar.

Sorry, I meant the web browser's nav/URL/magic bar, not B3D's. I'll put up a screenshot later.

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding. I admit to not testing too much on Android, since the mobile stats are heavily skewed not just towards iOS, but towards using Tapatalk as the means to interact on mobile devices.

Happy to introduce a representative set of Android devices to the testing regime though.

Maybe I should just get Tapatalk. I just cringe whenever I read Android permissions. :)

The new boards definitely scale nicely to mobile screens, and mobile browsers at least remember the last page you were reading if they have to be reloaded when switching back from another app, unlike Tapatalk (admittedly an older version on iOS 7).

But I don't want you putting any extra work into this if it won't benefit anyone else. I just thought someone else had and solved the same problem. If it's just me, no big deal.

Last edited:
It's possible inline smilies / images trigger the naughty URL bar behavior, at least judging from trying a dozen pages in the Pirate Islands thread.

I'll edit in some screencaps tomorrow.

I also view the site on mobile browsers. Both when on Android and when on Windows Phone. Haven't seen a single reason to want anything more.

And I sure won't be using Tapatalk. It's enough that Tapatalk shows annoying fullscreen ads on the mobile site (instead of letting me read the forum immediately), and now they've also decided my email needs spam ads ("Hey, KaarlisK, you know you have likes?" Yes, the same age-old ones you've already seen since you've been on the forum ten times since).

There might be settings I can tweak on the integration side with Tapatalk so it's less noisy. I've always meant to look into that, will add it to the list.

I've reconfigured B3D's Tapatalk account settings to not send those emails out.

Back