The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

I haven't touched Gwent either. Not even once, haven't even seen the first tutorial game. I am here for work, I am a Witcher !
How are your romances going? After a life of dedication and chastity, I am still waiting for Yen -I didn't leave Velen- for a life of eternal love.

Last edited:
I haven't touched Gwent either. Not even once, haven't even seen the first tutorial game. I am here for work, I am a Witcher !

This is an aspect of the story that makes no sense. Geralt and Yen are desperate to find Ciri but for certainly for me, I've spent perhaps 75-80% of my time in game on activities not related to advancing the main story line because there's no sense of urgency. You can (and I have) parked the main quest line for actual days, which in game time must be weeks and weeks, and all without apparent consequence.

However many of the side missions are time critical. Find somebody in need and ignore them for too long and you may find they or their loved ones have perished already so I feel more compelled to rabidly pursue side missions than the main story missions. It helps that all quests are designed well.

Besides I've played enough as Ciri to know she's badass even when injured. If the Wild Hunt want to hunt her, and suffer a bunch more losses, that's their lookout ;)

When they caught up with her in Skellige, I didn't notice I was supported to flee to a point on the map and cut down dozens of warriors and hounds. They lost of bunch of their army that day - you'd think they would lose interest and find a less dangerous quarry! :nope:

@DSoup

one of the story character even mentioned something like "wow geralt, you are finding x person to find y to find z and on top of that to find ciri?" then theres also asking something like "seriously, you are a witcher and want a normal job?"

This is an aspect of the story that makes no sense. Geralt and Yen are desperate to find Ciri but for certainly for me, I've spent perhaps 75-80% of my time in game on activities not related to advancing the main story line because there's no sense of urgency. You can (and I have) parked the main quest line for actual days, which in game time must be weeks and weeks, and all without apparent consequence.

However many of the side missions are time critical. Find somebody in need and ignore them for too long and you may find they or their loved ones have perished already so I feel more compelled to rabidly pursue side missions than the main story missions. It helps that all quests are designed well.

Besides I've played enough as Ciri to know she's badass even when injured. If the Wild Hunt want to hunt her, and suffer a bunch more losses, that's their lookout ;)

When they caught up with her in Skellige, I didn't notice I was supported to flee to a point on the map and cut down dozens of warriors and hounds. They lost of bunch of their army that day - you'd think they would lose interest and find a less dangerous quarry! :nope:
The main story is a bit like the princess is in another castle for a time. I am still in that phase, haven't left Velen, and won't do so in a while, I won't be able to play the game til the weekend at the very least-

edit: not really sure about the last sentence, I shall play it a little tonight

Last edited:
Incredible game. Loving every minute of it. Doubt anything will be able to touch this game for a bit.

Only gripe I have about the graphics (love that they brute force everything) is that indoors, the lighting is getting outside environment lighting instead of being shadowed. Very difficult problem when you have dynamic TOD, so I understand.. but we are left with some pretty flat lighting indoors. Also, the texture work could get some more loving. Not many imperfections in some of the stones and bricks on buildings and dungeons.

So far the game is mostly a horse riding simulator with lots of cut scenes. I feel criminally weak despite doing every side quest I run across.

No. Lots of riding around (and fast travel) and lots of talking. I also pick a lot of flowers. The movement on foot and horse is very janky, with that GTA momentum that is really annoying in small spaces. Nice world and voice acting, but so little gameplay (unless you count walking and riding) for my taste.

The pacing is bad.

Intro have too many cutscene. Later in the game big city, you get too many conversations and doing errands, running around chasing shadow. Even the npc laughs at you.

Between intro and big city I'd the best. Varied mission, different places, many monster types.

I just can't get my head around the XP system in this game.

Yesterday, I did 6 green side missions and witcher missions, some with the level even higher than my own. I got a total of about 200 xp (two missions gave me no xp at all, although they where higher level missions) in this 3h of playing, I need 2000xp to reach the new level...meh.

Game is imo broken.

Last edited:
Story line missions give big XP and side quests give small XP. It just happens that in this game side quest missions feel like main story missions.
I do agree this game is not like GTA, but that is main appeal of it. This is RPG game and not action game in it's core. I love both GTA franchise and The Witcher, but I have grown up on Eye of Beholder and Dungeon Master games among my favorites back on Amiga 1200.
This game is best enjoyed when played for story as quite often at least for me it feels like I'm reading great book or watching epic movie while my decisions shape it for me.
If you play to reach certain level to be able to obtain certain gear it might get a bit frustrating as sometimes you get stuck for periods of time on a certain character level. Mind you I got stuck on lvl. 12 for a long time as I was chasing side quests in Velen, but then I've moved into Novigrad and done couple of main story missions all of the sudden I was lvl. 17! (in 8h of gameplay).

Finally this is not a game for everyone similar to how I can't be asked to play any MMORPG. Just not my cup of tea and the same can be true with Witcher games for other players.

PS. I'm away for 2 days and already miss my trusty Roach taking me to new adventures!

Yeah, maybe I should do some main story.
PRoblem is: I am now lvl 23. When I entered Skellige, the main story was lvl 16 (it did give me lots of xp back then, as I was lower level). But now, the next story mission is level 13!! How can after a lvl 16 mission the next mission be lvl 13? It is of course totally grey...maybe I still try it, although I no I won't get any XP for another 10hours or so :(

PS: for me, the key fun aspect of RPGs is the levelling up. I just like levelling up and unlocking stuff. This is why I cannot play GTA for more than an hour or so...as it is missing the thrill for me. So, the broken RPG and levelling aspect in W3 is bothering me. In this case I still keep playing, as the game is really well done and the missions are really well done and fun in its own. But still, the XP balancing issue is really bad in this game.

This is RPG game and not action game in it's core.

TW3 is definitely an action game.
IMO TW3 lacks one fundamental quality found in all RPG: variety.
We are not able to choose "what we like to be" and assume many roles/archetypes as in Skyrim or Dragon's Dogma, nor we can control a variety of characters with different abilities like in Final Fantasy or D&D, we are limited to play as Geralt and he can't even do much compared to recent action game characters
There is character progression but it doesn't make it a RPG.

Last edited:
And just like in The Witcher 2, specializing in anything but sword fighting bascically means you've screwed yourself. Good luck with the bosses in particular. They're basically immune to every magic ability or bomb you can throw at them.

Still, what a lovely ride. Finished it yesterday at level 34.

TW3 is definitely an action game; there is character progression but it doesn't make it a RPG.
IMO TW3 lacks one fundamental quality found in all RPG: variety.
We are not able to choose "what we like to be" and assume many roles/archetypes as in Skyrim or Dragon's Dogma, nor we can control a variety of characters with different abilities like in Final Fantasy or D&D, we are limited to play as Geralt and he can't even do much compared to recent action game characters.

From that point of view, Square and Nintendo never released a single RPG, ever.

Back