XBox 360 Emulators for the PC

Seeing this discussion made me wonder about the plausibility of Sony emulating an xbone on the ps4. Given the similarities albeit with the ps4 slightly more powerful, would this be feasible?

Well... One is 1,31 Teraflops, the PS4 is 1.84 Teraflops. While not full eumlation, somethign could be done with 500 Teraflops, that's more than two Xbox 360s. Other than the physical side, like the design, overall silence, HDMI In, ventilation...

They'd have to emulate eSRAM and the custom hardware and the DX API and the higher clocked processors. Even if hardware emulation was possible, any emulation would break copyright rules and Sony would get their butts legally handed to them. It can't happen.

Seeing this discussion made me wonder about the plausibility of Sony emulating an xbone on the ps4. Given the similarities albeit with the ps4 slightly more powerful, would this be feasible?

its better if they simply allow "other OS" installation on PS4. Allow windows to be installed, BAM! Whatever emulators will works handsomely.
Even better if they support PS4 <-> PC remoteplay.

if that happen, i guess i wont need PC gaming rig, no need docking station. Play PC/emulator/whatever games on PS4 stream to Tablet as display. Play PS4 games on PS4, stream to tablet as display.

C'mon sony! You called PS4 as COMPUTER entertainment system, so let it act as a computer.
you have forsaken VAIO, but you still can creep into PC market :)

btw if sony is crazy enough and allow PS4 other os. They dont need to pay anything right? or there some licensing to make PS4 "open"?

EDIT:
i just realized Xbox One basically did just that with windows 10 right?
Xbox <-> PC streaming.

wow. no need docking station, pc. Just lug a tablet and xbox. Gaming even when out of town :D
too bad i have no xbox one and xbox one is soooo big. My bag already barely fit PS4.

They'd have to emulate eSRAM and the custom hardware and the DX API and the higher clocked processors. Even if hardware emulation was possible, any emulation would break copyright rules and Sony would get their butts legally handed to them. It can't happen.

Not just that, but how are you going to emulate a faster CPU when the CPU architecture is basically the same AND you need to use your CPU just to run the emulation software?

Regards,
SB

It's running more games now, with sound and at full speed.

First the video of Sonic 4 Episode I, a game that I have, plus it has familiar music. It was native 1080p on the X360 iirc, and 60 fps. You can see how the sound is working.

Sound seems to be running perfectly fine in the DragonBall game. Graphics.. well... the emu is improving fast.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006, looks... :) kinda odd.

Braid, the famous game

Castle Crashers, running like a charm

Last edited:
Puzzle Bobble Live

PAC MAN Museum

ZUMA DELUXE

Nights Into Dreams, a cool game, shaping up well

Sonic The Hedgehog Episode II, ingame :oops: (PC specs: CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.20 Ghz, RAM - 16 GB, GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 100ME, OS - Windows 8.1 64bit)

I'm not totally up on the emulator scene... but aren't most roms illegal? I don't see MS, Sony, Nintendo or any game publisher supporting this.

If you own them, it's not illegal, but that's my concern. If the games are being extracted from legitimate 360 DVDs or downloads, it's not an issue.

One upside to this is the prospect of MS producing an official 360 emulator and maybe providing 360 back catalogue on Win10.

How are they getting games into this emulator?
That's the whale in the room. I don't know tbh. The X360 as a system was pirated.

I'm not totally up on the emulator scene... but aren't most roms illegal? I don't see MS, Sony, Nintendo or any game publisher supporting this.
XBLA games, all of them, had a demo mode where you could always download the game. How much I miss XB Live Arcade, iD@Xbox is missing most of the features. And XNA for instance had a lot of crap, but some games were quite good or filled a gap where X360 lacked certain titles, like say fururistc racers a la F-Zero.

If you own them, it's not illegal, but that's my concern. If the games are being extracted from legitimate 360 DVDs or downloads, it's not an issue.

One upside to this is the prospect of MS producing an official 360 emulator and maybe providing 360 back catalogue on Win10.
That's an excellent idea, an official emulator created by the console owners is something we haven't seen, you'd have access to a few thousand games with improved graphics courtesy of current technology.

That'd be lovely, but only after they release an original Xbox emu!
They were working on an official one, and that's how I played one of the best original Xbox games ever, Ninja Gaiden Black. The execution and pace of that game was just flawless.

Could it not just play the dvd's straight from disk? I'll certainly pick me up a few 360 games if they ever get this properly working.

Could it not just play the dvd's straight from disk? I'll certainly pick me up a few 360 games if they ever get this properly working.
Not really sure 'cos I still have to try it. I have X360 disks around, since they are just DVDs... My laptop has a DVD drive, but the games themselves will probably run very slow on it. Perhaps the emulator creates some kind of virtual DVD drive and read your disc from the physical drive.

Gotta download it and check. The arcade games are obviously downloaded games, but you can copy them to a pendrive or external HD on your X360, that's totally legal and part of the features of the console, so that wouldn't be a problem once the emulator has access to either the iso or the xex file.

Now this is my educated opinion on the matter, so just hear this thought process out...

I think this emulator is only capable of playing pirated game copies or digital-only games.

The reason for this is the jitter and angular measurements used as security protection for the physical media. I do not imagine the PC DVD-ROM drives being able to return that information or even matching up with exactly what is expected by the programs. If you are emulating the DVD-ROM via images you completely lose that information.

The only source of that information is via pirating the game content and generating your own measurements. In that case, where do you store that information at? You need to create your own format and method for doing so. This is a huge task in and of itself, so to cut down time needed you can borrow a trick from the XBox Hacking community and reuse their images that already have this information and follow how their custom DVD-ROM firmware handles it.

Back