Longest loading times in disc-based systems?

Slightly off topoc but

The first bluray disks with java for copy protection when used on older players, they just sat there for minutes untill finally loading. Criminal.

Ryse first play on xbox one, insert disk and wait half an hour to play, it may be "installing" but its a console game, reminds me of championship managers new season wait.
Afaik, at least at launch Forza 5 was the same.., well, that's an understatement, it was way worse.

I uninstalled the game ever since because of lack of space in the GD, but I could install it again nowadays.

Off-topic, but the saving time for Diablo 1 PS1(An otherwise excellent port which actually improves on the original version for the most part) is insanely long. My family never clocked it, but I figure it was around 1 minute per save.

The game took up 10 memory blocks out of the 15 the memory card has, BTW.

Warcraft 2 on the Playstation was even worse. Ate up the entire card. Still impressive considering the 128 KB they had to work with. Even more so when you consider how something like Alien Isolation, which is a game that basically saves fuck all, and exclusively at specific locations no less, wastes tens of Mbytes per save.

Oh man, I'd forgotten how bad that was!

At least it only happened every couple of hours. I find that infinitely more agreeable than the lengthy loading period I have to endure every single time I die in the Witcher 3. Bloodborne was a rather nasty specimen before the patch as well.

Warcraft 2 on the Playstation was even worse. Ate up the entire card. Still impressive considering the 128 KB they had to work with. Even more so when you consider how something like Alien Isolation, which is a game that basically saves fuck all, and exclusively at specific locations no less, wastes tens of Mbytes per save.
The unreleased (but finished) build of Baldurs Gate for Playstation also had crazy saving times. But i guess the memory card access was pretty slow.

Afaik, at least at launch Forza 5 was the same.., well, that's an understatement, it was way worse.

I uninstalled the game ever since because of lack of space in the GD, but I could install it again nowadays.

Quite possibly, I had Forza but it was digital DL ver so I left that overnight but Ryse was on disk and I remember it pissing me off, it eventually let me load it prior to being 100% done with whatever clever [sic] tech they used to get to the main menu but then not be able to load level 1 untill the game was 100% loaded or the single player portion was 100% dispite not being an open world game, I gave up and only came back to it a week or so later.

I have a feeling patches that have to be downloaded first also added to my frustration.

C64 tape deck games were potentially almost half an hour of loading at 300bps transfer rate, if they filled up most or all of the machine's RAM... Try and beat that! ;)

The original Football Manager took 15 mins, the load would pause for around 12 mins before it finished. lol

OT - it has to be MGS4 smoking screens

Wing Commander 3 on the PC - about 15 minutes per mission...

Only if you had too little RAM. My "massive" 8mb, with disabled Smartdrive loaded the game faster than that. I was still annoyed at the load times, but it wasn't as bad as that. Played around with config.sys and autoexec.bat a lot to optimize that game.

But... if we're talking old PC games with machines that were ill equipped... Tex Murphy 4: Pandora Directive also had you wait each door transition for several seconds/minutes.

I've lost track of the kind of PC I've had in those days, but I believe it had to have a 2x CD drive, not sure about the memory though - was Wing3 able to run on 4MB? I've almost certainly played it in SVGA 640*480 though.

Another funny story if we're at it - my first PC was a 386SX-20MHz and it had - not kidding - an MFM hard drive, probably 20MB or so. It had a read speed of something like 150kb/sec at best. And the VGA card had 256kb memory ;) but later on I've bought two more chips to upgrade it to 512k.

I remember playing Tv sports football in the Amiga 500 with just 512k and anytime you score a touchdown or whatever i had to swap disks and wait for about a minute just to whatch an animation of some cheerleaders i believe, that was awful :(

Try "Monkey Island 2" on Amiga from floppies. That game was crazy in the random order disks needed to be used. Insert disk 5. Disk 6. Disk 2. Disk 7. Disk 5 again.

Much like the (awful) version of Street Fighter 2 on the Amiga. If I remember correctly it had two or three fighters per disk. I distinctly remember my brother and I purposefully selecting characters that were on the same disk to prevent from having to put two in for each fight. God it was so bad.

Back