DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

If that's a pixel shader, wouldn't 40 ALU cycles (if indeed it's 40 cycles) be fillrate limited?
Last generation consoles were ALU bound in majority of our shaders. It was actually fun to get rid of the extra ALUs. Nowadays you are often bound by a combination of things, GPRs being the most common and the most annoying thing to get rid of.
IOS did already introduce Metal API last year if you remember, but sebbbi I think pointed out some serious limitations that are holding it back currently from truly performing. Who knows though with the next iOS release they will fix that.
Metal is a good API. However it is completely missing indirect draw and indirect dispatch of any kind. Compute shaders are kind of useless when you do not have any mechanism to feed the GPU generated data to the GPU front end. I hope that the indirect draw/dispatch support is added soon, since this is a show stopper for us. OpenGL ES 3.1 has full set of indirect draw/dispatch commands, making it currently superior to Metal.

Mr Rocket science is now saying that 30% is for the PC and the XB1 might see 7%.

It was obvious to most, but the secret sauce group was holding firm.

His original post on the subject had mentioned just 5% improvement for XBO. So, the 7% is actually higher than what he originally posted. I'm not sure how people ended up thinking 20-30% was for the XBO.

Regards,
SB

His original post on the subject had mentioned just 5% improvement for XBO. So, the 7% is actually higher than what he originally posted. I'm not sure how people ended up thinking 20-30% was for the XBO.

Regards,
SB

No, he talks about two increases, one is DX12. The next patch is ~5% from other optimizations. The 30-40% came from him talking about DX12 and not being clear which platform, do mixtermidia fans assumed XB1.

No, he talks about two increases, one is DX12. The next patch is ~5% from other optimizations. The 30-40% came from him talking about DX12 and not being clear which platform, do mixtermidia fans assumed XB1.

Yes, But original increase for XBO was 5%. Now it's ~5-7% for next patch and an additional ~7% when DX12 comes to the XBO.

Yeah, people thinking ~30% was for XBO from DX12 were a bit cuckoo.

Regards,
SB

6d4cc5-1433503357.jpg

Update:
Translated by google:
"AMD has now confirmed that not all GCN GPUs support DirectX 12 FL 12_0."

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-06/directx-12-amd-radeon-feature-level-12-0-gcn/

I thought PS4 was GCN 1.1. And importantly, there was no such thing as 1.1 or 2.0 per se. It's been mentioned on these boards by People Who Know that AMD doesn't have a spec revision number and just have added aspects to GPUs as they've happened.

According to Xbox One architects interview and Wikipedia GCN article they both are Sea Islands(GCN 1.1). So feature level 12_0 on both if the data is correct.
No, this would be an incorrect way to categorize. Not all Sea Islands are GCN 1.1 (which is a fake naming convention anyway).
Shifty has the right summary of what's been going on. Ideally when the R300 series is revealed, someone can check the Pitcairn cards to see if t they have Tier 2 Tiled resources, that would imply that family is irrelevant to categorizing D3D feature levels as well. If family is important, the table provided would showcase which families support which feature levels.

but as the table stands, family appears to be important - if we follow this trend then we should be able to anticipate the 300 series GPUs as well.
Radeon , 7850, 7870, 7970 and 280X is pitcairn (feature level 11_1) (this aligns well with PS4)
But 7790 and 260(x) is Bonaire (FL 12_0) (this aligns well with Xbox)
285X - tonga (FL12_0)
290 - hawaii (Fl12_0)

Last edited:
It's in the table.
Which table? What features 1.0 lacks?

As far as I remember it was southern island, as sea island came after the consoles
Bonaire came out on March 22, 2013.

Radeon , 7850, 7870, 7970 and 280X is pitcairn (feature level 11_1) (this aligns well with PS4)
But 7790 and 260(x) is Bonnaire (FL 12_0) (this aligns well with Xbox)
Why this aligns well?
In eurogamer link xbo guy said both are Sea Islands.

Which table? What features 1.0 lacks?

Bonaire came out on March 22, 2013.

Why this aligns well?
In eurogamer link xbo guy said both are Sea Islands.
This is in this thread but to summarize:
For it to be FL 12
Resource Binding Tier 2, Tiled Resources Tier 2 (Texture2D), Typed UAV Loads (additional formats).

FL 12.1
Conservative Rasterization Tier 1, Rasterizer Ordered Views.

GCN1.0 is missing tiled resources tier 2 as I understand it for now.

No, this would be an incorrect way to categorize. Not all Sea Islands are GCN 1.1 (which is a fake naming convention anyway).
Shifty has the right summary of what's been going on. Ideally when the R300 series is revealed, someone can check the Pitcairn cards to see if t they have Tier 2 Tiled resources, that would imply that family is irrelevant to categorizing D3D feature levels as well. If family is important, the table provided would showcase which families support which feature levels.

but as the table stands, family appears to be important - if we follow this trend then we should be able to anticipate the 300 series GPUs as well.
But 7790 and 260(x) is Bonaire (FL 12_0) (this aligns well with Xbox)
285X - tonga (FL12_0)
290 - hawaii (Fl12_0)

Why it aligns better 7850, 7870, 7970 and 280X? In this case to witch discrete GPU best aligns Kaveri witch is GCN1.1?

Acording to Wikipedia GCN 1.1 APU's:
  • Temash
  • Kabini
  • Liverpool
  • Durango
  • Kaveri
  • Godavari
  • Mullins
  • Beema

This is in this thread but to summarize:
For it to be FL 12
Resource Binding Tier 2, Tiled Resources Tier 2 (Texture2D), Typed UAV Loads (additional formats).

FL 12.1
Conservative Rasterization Tier 1, Rasterizer Ordered Views.

GCN1.0 is missing tiled resources tier 2 as I understand it for now.
I looked at some pages, but did not see anything of sort in this thread.
Kinda sucks if just tier of one feature.

The 8 ACEs would perhaps disagree. :p It might be more of a (severely Obi-Wan) cut-down Hawaii.
I think we should not look at desktop cards.

Most likely consoles design is based on Kabini APU. Which is GCN 1.1.

Back