Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, disk games install a portion of the game - this seems to be a PS4 'exclusive' type function. As far as putting a XBO HDD into the PS4, when I mentioned the XBO potentially being hybrid I did a bit of digging and although they are different manufacturers I believe the HDDs are the same ones.

Yes, disk games install a portion of the game - this seems to be a PS4 'exclusive' type function. As far as putting a XBO HDD into the PS4, when I mentioned the XBO potentially being hybrid I did a bit of digging and although they are different manufacturers I believe the HDDs are the same ones.
They both install game chunks.
PS4 has better and more efficient game image container it seems.

Some PS4s and xbones ship with same HDD. Artificial data rate cap may be different though (and external HDD on xbone seems to not have a cap)

From my knowledge, there isn't any console with two disc drives :p

I wonder why? Cost or not viable even today?

Cost is a relatively minor element when it comes to spinning HDDs but the complexity goes up significantly. With a RAID 1 setup you get extra reliability but added cost and no perf boost. With RAID 0 you get better perf (up to 2x) but twice the risk of disk failure which adds cost (warranty cost specifically).

It adds a lot of complexity and cost for comparatively little gain, I'd wager we'd see a hybrid drive solution (as a single drive or as a separate flash module) first

Cost is a relatively minor element when it comes to spinning HDDs but the complexity goes up significantly. With a RAID 1 setup you get extra reliability but added cost and no perf boost. With RAID 0 you get better perf (up to 2x) but twice the risk of disk failure which adds cost (warranty cost specifically).

It adds a lot of complexity and cost for comparatively little gain, I'd wager we'd see a hybrid drive solution (as a single drive or as a separate flash module) first

Xbox has an eMMC 8gb drive for os and app stuff i believe, that might take some of the strain off the internal drive.

Xbox has an eMMC 8gb drive for os and app stuff i believe, that might take some of the strain off the internal drive.
None of that is for game I/O though, it acts more like a boost for the O/S itself so that you can get that instant game/OS/TV swapping

So 30 fps in the arena, and then 60 fps -with drops to MK 59 :)- during gameplay. Not bad, quite typical in that console
Someone will wrongly interpret your post... Its not Arena, but a hub.

30FPS in the hub while where it is 60FPS that is the arena.

Minimum framerate was at 57FPS which isn't even 10% to be noticeable to anyone.

Someone will wrongly interpret your post... Its not Arena, but a hub.

30FPS in the hub while where it is 60FPS that is the arena.

Minimum framerate was at 57FPS which isn't even 10% to be noticeable to anyone.
Ok, fixed then, I wasn't sure about what to call it.
Watch until the end of the video at 3:29.
Seen that, yup, but it happens in an instant, less than 2 seconds. It seems to occur when the camera zooms out.

So it's mostly a solid 60, occasionally missing the update when there's lots of stuff happening on screen.

Would be interesting to know where the tears would drop to if they used adaptive vsync; if they aren't missing the update by much and can quickly recover, that could be a better strategy, avoiding the occasional stutter at the cost of a top-of-screen tear.

Performance looks great, though.

PC master race would probably drop a few tears. PS owners probably drop less tears - kinda used to it. Difficult to tell how many Nintendo tears drop as they're used to solid 60fps, no screen tearing, but if it's not noticeable, not many tears would be shed.
I see what you did there.

PC master race would probably drop a few tears. PS owners probably drop less tears - kinda used to it. Difficult to tell how many Nintendo tears drop as they're used to solid 60fps, no screen tearing, but if it's not noticeable, not many tears would be shed.
An who would drop more tears to know which version of The Witcher 3 is the superior one if they had both the PS4, and one has more resolution and the other is stable, framerate wise?
It basically misses the vblank of the display (16.67ms for 60Hz display), so it waits for the next interval.

30fps is already a missed interval for a 60Hz display. So let's say, you render a frame under 16.67ms, and that's your first unique frame. That is ready for display, so that's what you see. If the engine takes longer than 16.67ms it waits for the next refresh @ 33.33ms, so the 1st frame is essentially sitting on-screen for two intervals or 1/2*60Hz -> "30fps". If it missed the next interval, then you wait for the next vblank, i.e. 50ms (3/60), which means you're at "20fps" as the frame has now been sitting on-screen for a 3rd interval.

So basically, the frame rates you see will be an integer divide of the display's Hz. e.g. 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, etc. corresponding to the number of intervals the last frame has been sitting on screen.

With triple-buffering you add a second back buffer to the swap chain for the display to grab frames from, so at least one of those should have a completed frame by the time the display needs it, though you get into frame pacing issues for obvious (various? :p) reasons.

edit: Please excuse any brain farts in the explanation. :p
Loved your explanation, really. Great stuff.

Talking of which, after having seen the DF videos featuring The Witcher 3, all of them, if I had both the PS4 and the XB1 and had to choose which console I'd buy a copy for, I'd go with the Xbox One version, because it is very stable, framerate wise.

Last edited:
I specifically said the frame rate was not locked. Only vsync.

You don't do it from the control panel, you use a third party application like NV Inspector or RivaTuner. The option is there for everyone.

With respect, that's an absolutely terrible video to prove your point with. The frame rates in every one of those games are very stable when onscreen action is consistent. It's only when the onscreen action changes significantly that the frame rate varies which is exactly what would happen with any system, PC or console when no lock is in place. For proof look no further than your favorite subject of the moment - Witcher 3 performance on XBO with an unlocked frame rate.

At one point the frame rate goes from 23 to 40 to 22 fps in a few seconds. That's not a dig at the XBO, any system, will behave that way when the onscreen action varies considerably (as common sense would suggest it would). Look at the comparable sections between the two videos (i.e. the horse ride through the city) though and you see the frame rate is just as steady on the PC as it is on the XBO.

You mean just like at 56 seconds in on the XBO performance video for the Witcher 3 where it goes from 23 to 40 to 22 in a few seconds? As I said, this isn't a PC only phenomenon, it's a general rendering phenomenon when running without a frame cap/vsync.

If you don't want frame rates to vary like that you simply apply vsync and/or a frame rate limiter which in almost all of those PC games would have resulted in a perfect 60fps lock every time.
That DF article is not representative anymore, and those 22fps drops you mention happened ONLY during cutscenes. Stress test have been performed on the X1 and in the worst conditions the framerate goes down to 25 fps. And by worst I mean the swamp area and a rainy day with cloudy skies and storms.

You don't do it from the control panel, you use a third party application like NV Inspector or RivaTuner. The option is there for everyone.
With respect too. Your examples just say that you are using a hack.

I don't blame you, you need to make life easier for you, I'd do the same. Keep things easy.

If a girl opens her legs for you, would you recite her a Paulo Coelho poem?

It's a case where you take the easy solution. And your solution is easy, it's just that many people don't know about it and that's where the hassle comes from. Thanks for sharing anyways, I certainly could use that software.

Last edited:
My big question for the current generation relates to frame pacing issues.

Why had I never heard of frame pacing issues before the birth of PS4 and X1?

Did no one actually care back then, or is it a new - and to me very odd and avoidable - problem?

if I had both the PS4 and the XB1 and had to choose which console I'd buy a copy for, I'd go with the Xbox One version

Cyan, with all respect, you wouldn't ever consider buying a Playstation and strictly hold everything Xbox dear, so I'm not exactly sure you're the most reliable person to suggest a purchasing decision.

If a girl opens her legs for you, would you recite her a Paulo Coelho poem?

That's a brilliant line! I might have to plagiarise it in the future. ;)

That's a brilliant line! I might have to plagiarise it in the future. ;)
:) It is. It's actually a sentence that got stuck in my head since time ago, from a VERY intelligent person, the arcade geek par excellence -a guy who beats classic arcade games with a single credit, without using any aids, other than his actual skill- who used it when replying to someone who said that he loved what he did and all, although he rebuked him saying that he practiced the toughest arcade games to find flaws in them and find exploits -if not it wold be impossible to beat them with a single credit-.

And then he replied using that sentence (comparing arcade machines to said girl, as saying you must take the easy route when you see it), among other things. I liked it very much too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back