Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm worried about the reservations out already and a release date yet no details and clarifications on the free upgrade.

One of my main concerns is being able to do a fresh install.
  • Do I get a product key that I can use to do a fresh install from USB?
  • I have a full Upgrade package for Windows 7 which can transfer to a new PC, can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade to a new PC as well? Obviously as a PC gamer I change various hardware so I don't use OEM versions due to this.

One of my main concerns is being able to do a fresh install.
  • Do I get a product key that I can use to do a fresh install from USB?
  • I have a full Upgrade package for Windows 7 which can transfer to a new PC, can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade to a new PC as well? Obviously as a PC gamer I change various hardware so I don't use OEM versions due to this.
Last week I installed windows 8.1 on a fresh harddrive, where the original hd was upgraded to 8.1 from 8. The machine has the product key in bios so I assume it'll be the same for 10. I created the 8.1 media using microsofts mediacreationtool which i got from the link in this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. I was hoping to do the same for 10, you'll have to check if it works for retail... I don't know about that. Don't know if it helps you but I figured it might be helpful for you.

The key in the BIOS is only valid for OEM machines with Windows 8+. Doesn't help with a built PC.

The key in the BIOS is only valid for OEM machines with Windows 8+. Doesn't help with a built PC.
I know, but it works for the standard oem version as well (where you have to enter the key manually) at least according to the page I linked. So I figure it'll work the same way for 10... what I don't know is if it works with retail keys.

One might hope your copy of win10 uses the same key as the OS install you upgraded from, thus allowing a fresh win10 install without needing to keep track of a separate key when reinstalling...

*shrug* One can always dream, right? :p

You can see when it's set to run in the Task Scheduler under Microsoft->Windows->Setup. It should have created some launch and update tasks for itself there.

It can then be prodded by running GWX.exe.
Won't let itself be prodded on my old win7 ultimate box unfortunately... :(

The task scheduler items are there, it's apparantly set to launch on login, but it doesn't, or it does and silently fails for some incomprehensible reason. Fuckin Microsoft eh!

If it fails, I believe that is most likely because it has detected an incompatibility. The tool goes through various phases, and MS has stated that it won't pop up any mention of failure conditions to the users until after Windows 10 has launched.

If I were to guess, that is probably because they are still working to address some of them. But I also think they want to focus on transitioning as many "unproblematic" installs as possible - as quickly as possible - before drawing additional attention to whatever it is that won't work.

Thanks, yes, that does make some sense. Anyway, it's just my backup box, it's not exactly critical that I get win10 up and running on it; it's a core i7 920 CPU and radeon 6000 GPUs in it, so quite old stuff. Everything in that box is too slow, power hoggy and noisy to run seriously, heh. Still, I have this upgrade bug tickling me, so it will be nice when I finally can take advantage of the offer! It's an additional OS license after all. Could be useful in the days ahead, after Skylake launches! :)

it's a core i7 920 CPU and radeon 6000 GPUs in it, so quite old stuff. Everything in that box is too slow, power hoggy and noisy to run seriously, heh.
I'm on Xeon E5440 @3.6GHz (Core 2 Quad)+ Radeon 7870
It's moderately fast and silent. GWX fail to run though.

Maybe I'll update to Skylake or Zen next year.

I'm on Xeon E5440 @3.6GHz (Core 2 Quad)+ Radeon 7870
It's moderately fast and silent.
Yeh, well, I have the wrong fans (and graphics card; damn those AMD hairdryer radial fans) for a silent system, and it's too old to waste any money on to make quieter. I'll just put it out to pasture eventually...

I've been running build 10074 but switched back to Win7 due to some stability issues. Having plunged in on the insider builds I think I'm going to wait a couple of months before upgrading on the release version. *

* likely to cave in and upgrade on the 30th

I'm a bit worried that there is a Release Date but no Release Candidate yet, still pretty significant changes happening in Development Builds.
Pretty sure they had Release Candidates for a bunch of months before Win7/8 launches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back