The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt revealed

I'm not a fan of Hairworks. TressFX looks way better, at least what I saw in Tomb Raider. I think Hairworks causes a mild performance dip, also, when I'm in a tight space and the camera does a close up of Geralt. While I've yet to lower it from ultra, I've seen comparison screenshots of it disabled and enabled, and frankly it's pretty damn ugly when it's disabled. I hope at some point they improve some of the fur textures, namely wolves. Even at max it looks pretty bad.

I'm still questing in Velen. I'm almost level 14 and I'm trying to stay away from a lot of the main story. But it looks like I'm going to have to head to The Skellige Isles soon. How large is that area in comparison to Velen?

I've seen better visual HairWorks implementations in demos so not really sure if TW3 developers in-house AA techniques are having a negative impact, but comparing the demos to the TW3 implementation you can easily see the visual difference. Regarding performance, not sure if you are still using DSR but that will definitely cause performance dips during closeups.

The Skellige Isles ... think large. :)

Last edited:
Here's a good read:

Thirty Hours In, The Witcher 3 Keeps Surprising Me

Last week Kirk wrote about how big The Witcher 3 is, but I feel like its size would be a huge knock against it if not for the number of curveballs it throws. I usually get bored of games that offer gigantic worlds. It doesn’t take long for me to see them for what they are: repetitive playgrounds for the same series of rote mechanics—meh-chanics, really. So I play until they get predictable (usually around the 20 hour mark or something like that) and then I move on. The Witcher 3, for me, hasn’t even come close to falling prey to that issue. Its world still feels surprising, terrifying, alive.

This isn’t the rote, humdrum open world of an Assassin’s Creed or even a Far Cry, where you do the same basic things and get the same basic rewards over and over and over until you don’t need to peek around the corner anymore because you already know exactly what’s there—where you wish the game would just get to the fucking point already. The Witcher 3—with its world map lit up like a Christmas tree of exclamation points and question marks and monster nests and waypoints and towns and caves and boats and beard grooming stations—establishes a formula so it can undermine it at every turn. In that way, it stays interesting. In that way, it continues to be about the journey, not the destination.

Let’s start with a simple example: I walked into a random rundown shack with the intention of ransacking the crap (and alchemy supplies and mugs and rotting jars of bear fat) out of it, because duh. This is how Witchers keep their business afloat. Not through monster contracts or random acts of grumpiness, but by stuffing 4364882 broken rakes down their trousers. For some reason, people don’t care if you swipe all their stuff (only guards—who largely prowl outdoors—even notice), so it was gonna be a routine in and out.

However, for the first time ever—around 25 hours in—I walked in not on people cooking or sleeping or idly chatting or staring maniacally at me, melted eye sockets running like waterfalls of tar, but instead they were... dead. And the culprit, a bandit in triumphant tighty whities, still loomed over them, admiring the handiwork of his grim deed. I gasped, not because this was something I’d never encountered in a video game, but because I’d never encountered it in this video game—especially not in the context of an easy, downright relaxing looting session. It was like opening a treasure chest and having a creepy jack-in-the-box clown pop out.

It served to further drive home the way this world works, too. Shit sucks. If you’re not being robbed blind by the so-called “hero” of the game, you’re being brutally slaughtered by a half-naked idiot and then robbed blind and then avenged by a guy who just wanted to rob you. Fun stuff.
http://kotaku.com/thirty-hours-in-the-witcher-3-keeps-surprising-me-1708290939

witcher 3 is a pc destroyer...
lots of complains about its too sensitive with overclock, or their PC suddently turning off by itself, etc.

now my PC making weird whizzing (like the sound of night) and whirring (like when you put a paper on a fan blade) sound.

i suspect this is not due to Witcher 3 is a PC killer, but simply because before Witcher 3, people did not use their PC (as heavily).

witcher 3 is a pc destroyer...
lots of complains about its too sensitive with overclock, or their PC suddently turning off by itself, etc.

now my PC making weird whizzing (like the sound of night) and whirring (like when you put a paper on a fan blade) sound.

i suspect this is not due to Witcher 3 is a PC killer, but simply because before Witcher 3, people did not use their PC (as heavily).

Id really like to know how a piece of software is supposed to make your fans sound strange... If people would just use their common sense they'd know it's too high of a overclock or a bad psu that is causing their issues.

Any "high level" characters? 51 hours in and I'm only 15...

I'm 51h in and only lvl14, but I'm taking my time doing main storyline quests. Lately got to Novigrad and what a city it is! I'm really admiring how varied all the buildings are and the landscape it is build on, not to mention all the caves/severs/dungeons I still have to visit/explore!

@orangpelupa
@tongue_of_colicab
It's funny when people are complaining about game instability caused by their own system instabilities they didn't know about!
TW3 is really pushing GPU's and CPU's quite hard thanks to well threaded engine utilizing every last cycle of your GPU power! This is one of the only 2 games which can push my custom air cooled R9 290X to 80C during gameplay! Other games like BF4 or Titanfall are content with 68-72C temps, but for Witcher not working your GPU hard is not an option.
On the coil whine topic, TW3 has quite a distinctive pattern on mine card, which is different to the usual noise generated by other games :)

early on theres a quest to get some armour cat I think
it located in a building on a hill but I cant find a way up

early on theres a quest to get some armour cat I think
it located in a building on a hill but I cant find a way up

There is a place of power near the tower, from there just walk up very steep hill and then climb a wall if I remember correctly.

Took me good 20 minutes to figure that one out as I was looking for underwater entrance first :p

Well, despite all the f-ups on the PC side of things, it's nice to see there's been a steady stream of free DLC. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but still nice to see.

Regards,
SB

I'm 51h in and only lvl14, but I'm taking my time doing main storyline quests. Lately got to Novigrad and what a city it is! I'm really admiring how varied all the buildings are and the landscape it is build on, not to mention all the caves/severs/dungeons I still have to visit/explore!

@orangpelupa
@tongue_of_colicab
It's funny when people are complaining about game instability caused by their own system instabilities they didn't know about!
TW3 is really pushing GPU's and CPU's quite hard thanks to well threaded engine utilizing every last cycle of your GPU power! This is one of the only 2 games which can push my custom air cooled R9 290X to 80C during gameplay! Other games like BF4 or Titanfall are content with 68-72C temps, but for Witcher not working your GPU hard is not an option.
On the coil whine topic, TW3 has quite a distinctive pattern on mine card, which is different to the usual noise generated by other games :)

and it killed my 4 year olds PSU (seasonic 520watt). now on RMA because it have 5 yrs warranty. now i use 10 years old psu (gigabyte 400watt) i took from unused PC. Too afraid to play with 4 cores so now im back with 2 cores lol. the performance horrible, even on windows is horrible.

and it killed my 4 year olds PSU (seasonic 520watt). now on RMA because it have 5 yrs warranty. now i use 10 years old psu (gigabyte 400watt) i took from unused PC. Too afraid to play with 4 cores so now im back with 2 cores lol. the performance horrible, even on windows is horrible.

I'm lucky there because of BitCoin craze I've had 3 R9 290 in my system and to drive them I bought 1000W (1150 Peak) beQuiet! Now with only one R9 290X it's easy for my PSU, even in TW3!

btw how do you calculate PSU wattage required? Im willing to try to make my CPU 4 cores again but want to do some calculation 1st. even if the calculatio are ok but my PSU blow.... i still have 15 years old PSU :D (only 250watt lol).

about coil whine. i wonder what my PS4 will sounds like if playing W3. It sounds irritating when opening web browser blank page.

EDIT:
according to
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and http://powersupplycalculator.net/
i need 375-385 watt PSU. I guess my 10 years old 400 watt PSU is still enough

Last edited:
btw how do you calculate PSU wattage required? Im willing to try to make my CPU 4 cores again but want to do some calculation 1st. even if the calculatio are ok but my PSU blow.... i still have 15 years old PSU :D (only 250watt lol).

about coil whine. i wonder what my PS4 will sounds like if playing W3. It sounds irritating when opening web browser blank page.

EDIT:
according to
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and http://powersupplycalculator.net/
i need 375-385 watt PSU. I guess my 10 years old 400 watt PSU is still enough

It all depends on how strong 12V rail is on your PSU. I would recommend PSU with at least 400W on 12V rail alone, especially if you overclock a bit. That is 34A for 12V combined. If your PSU has split rails then make sure GPU one has 28A and motherboard and the rest is feed from another 18A rail.

Luckily PSU is the one component you get to keep for a long time so just get the right one from the start. For example I've purchased Hiper 880W PSU in Radeon 2900Pro era to drive CrossFire. Spent £100 back then in 2007 and it lasted me good few years ... I don't know exactly how long as it's still in use in my sons PC and was abused with CF and BitCoin mining for months almost every second year I had it!! It's 8 years now and runs perfectly fine powering Kaveri based PC and just 10 months ago was still running around 850W load (socket reading) 24/7 loaded with 3 Radeons mining LTE. In my opinion my best PC related buy ever as even monitors don't last me this long :)

Now back to Witcher 3! I need more GPU power for this game because when I dropped details to get 60FPS everything looks and moves so much better! Problem is I can't compromise on details so I'm forced to upgrade! Fury X can't come sooner!

There is a place of power near the tower, from there just walk up very steep hill and then climb a wall if I remember correctly.

Took me good 20 minutes to figure that one out as I was looking for underwater entrance first :p
Nice to know I wasn't the only one walking past that path up to it. :)

I caved and bought this last night. Suddenly had a strong urge for some RPG. Since it didn't finish downloading till this morning I bought Final Fantasy 4 and installed that (only 650MB) to pass the time. Now I'm into it and probably won't hit The Witcher till I finish it :)

Sorry it was viper armour does your answer still apply ?

Back