www.techingames.net Integration FAQ

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Welcome to the www.techingames.net Integration FAQ

TechInGames.NET Embedding options

Embedding information from www.techingames.net works a lot like embedding a youtube video, except slightly easier. At the most basic level, you just need to remember:

When creating a new game specific thread, add tig:HashTag (e.g. tig:TheWitcher3) to the tags to have the basic game badge shown at the bottom (or top, may still change depending on prefs) of every page of the Thread.

To get game information into a specific post, use:

Code:
[tig]TheWitcher3[/tig]

If you couldn’t guess the correct name to use (which is basically like a hashtag), you can look up the correct code on www.techingames.net

For instance, https://www.techingames.net/embed/Details/256 will show you the page for The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, and in the Details you will see
Code:
[tig]TheWitcher3[/tig]
all ready for you to copy and paste.

If you feel that the results from
Code:
[tig]
are to large for a forum thread, you can also use
Code:
[tig_compact]
instead. This will show a much more compact table view of the same data.

Finally, if you want to focus on the graphics information only (this is beyond3d.com after all) then you can use
Code:
[tig_graphics]
, which will automatically select only the information collected on the graphics aspect of the game.

At the very basic level, that’s it! Of course, there are a lot more options for those who want to dive a little deeper … We’ll detail those in the next post.

Last edited:
Known Issues and Frequently Asked Questions

Loading speed
Currently, all tables are generated dynamically based on the data in the database with relatively expensive queries, and not that fast a database either. Optimising this part will be done once we're happy enough with the functionality and based on your feedback.

Auto-sizing
The embedded frames normally automatically resize correctly. However, editing a post does not trigger this resize, so you may sometimes need to refresh the page if you updated a post with techingames embedded data to see it correctly

Background color
If you are using a dark theme for displaying your forum, the layout will look a bit off, with the white background. I use this theme myself, so I'll definitely be looking into how this can be managed, but it's not that easy. I will add theme support to techingames.net at some point, and then if you are logged in there, your preference should apply to the theme section, but right now, it will look a little less than optimal.

Missing data
Not nearly every game and every version of that game is in there, nor is every feature of every game and version, reviews, etc. This is actually up to you as much as anything else - if you miss anything, sign up to the site (you can reuse your Google account if you want so easy enough), and add.

Data curation
Techingames.net admins can monitor the update feed to the site and verify data coming in. Should you ever want to be an administrator, feel free to let me know here through a PM.

Tapatalk et al
Obviously Tapatalk will not show tig integration stuff. Will contact Tapatalk devs to see what is possible here, but don't expect anything soon there. It does have the option 'show as webpage' normally, which should help a little.

Last edited:
Advanced Options

You can add parameters by adding &parametername=value to the tag. In cases where multiple values apply, separate them with a comma.

Here's a list of available parameters.

display=

You can specify what to display from the site. For instance, to get all links to a game, use display=Links

All available display options:
- Game
Shows a single badge with the basic game information (name, platforms, latest version and releasedate, publisher, developer)
Note: on beyond3d you can get this added to game threads at the bottom by adding tig:TheWitcher3 to the thread's tags.
- Compact
(you can also use
Code:
[tig_compact]
here instead)
- FeatureValue
Shows a detailed report on a specific feature. Specify the feature to filter on with

feature=

Name of the feature on techingames.net (e.g. Target for a game's capped framerate) and specify the featureValue with

featureValue=

e.g. 60 if you want all games that are capped at 60fps.

category=

You can specify and narrow down information from the site to specific categories by providing the category parameter. For instance, adding &category=Controls will only show values from the Controls section. Basically, all top level features in the Features page on www.techingames.net can be specified here.

platform=

Specify if you only want to display results from specific platforms.
Note that separately from this setting, users with an account on www.techingames.net and who are logged on, can have their favorite platform filters apply to the embedded results automatically.

gen=

You can specify a console generation for instance by adding gen=8.

handheld=

true or false, will filter out (false) or show only (true) handheld platforms.[/tig_compact]

Last edited:
Yep, just an iframe with resizing support. I have odata available as well, but this was much less work for beyond3D layout wise and can be expanded by me with new functionality without intervention.

This is some fascinating and powerful stuff, but a lot of relatively arcane information to hold in your head, especially for the more advanced features. Can we get some buttons in the editor window to automatically generate the relevant tags, maybe? That'd be super cool, and an easy (*ahem!* easy for me to say, lol) way to get more widespread use of this feature.

Also, analogous to the way the forum software can autocomplete usernames, like when you type @ and then "arw" it pops up @Arwin... Is it possible to do the same with game names, but using say, a hash as the "magic character" instead, like so: #thewi would offer the game(s) starting with those characters. :)

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head, heh.

Thanks for the hard work you guys spent so far!

Yep, just an iframe with resizing support. I have odata available as well, but this was much less work for beyond3D layout wise and can be expanded by me with new functionality without intervention.
Can @Rys send theme choice as well with the parameters on the iframe? That way you could display it according to which light or dark theme the user has selected.

Just trying out these tags.

Here's a TIG link...

Here's a compact TIG...

TIG graphics

I can add a TIG on the bottom but what sounds like I can add a compact TIG in the tags isn't working. Is compact TIG tags a thing?

Recommendation at this point is a horizontally aligned view. So platforms in rows, data in columns, something like
Image1.png

Last edited:
no, the tags only work like this (see edit).

Update: I set the background to transparent, and that worked somewhat against expectation. Much better I think. Since I have the whole width however, it might be nicer to use the layout that I have in the search game results.

Last edited:
Whoops, looks like I broke something ... And fixed again.

How would this be for the bottom row?:

Last edited:
I like that full-width version, fits much nicer with the layout.

In that case, feel free to change the link to display=GameRow instead of display=Game ... I'll then use that as a basis and tweak it some more to suit the site integration.

EDIT: That was fast! :)

@Arwin
For instance, https://www.techingames.net/embed/Details/256 will show you the page for The Witcher III: Wild Hunt,
Will it ?
EPIKHic.jpg

Edit:
Didnt see Malo's post

Last edited:
We'll get right back to you they said two days ago. I checked it earlier today and complained so hopefully ... I also complained this was the second year in a row I had to remind them.

I think it should be fixed now. Let me know if there are still issues ...

They just switched to a new control panel just when this happened. But if this doesn't auto-renew next year, I will probably see about switching. They've been very helpful otherwise (I have several things running there, they were also really early with .NET Core support, etc.)

Back