Longest loading times in disc-based systems?

stranno

Newcomer
I think Soldier of Fortune on Dreamcast still holds the record with 2 minutes 30 seconds of loading times (more than an hour and a half if you want to beat the game) because a stupid disc structure with one big clunky file compressing all the data.

Most of games and units i heard about are not nearly close to that. Like Neo Geo CD, i have never seen a loading time longer than 50 seconds, or ... i dont know, Sonic 06, 30-40 seconds.

In my list the second place could be Mafia on Playstation 2 with 1 minute 20 seconds of loading times every one of the four checkpoints of the city.

I remember floppy disk game called Summer Olympics on the Apple 2e taking 2 minutes for the diving portion of the game.

A little offtopic...

Some of the loading times between cutscenes or completion of certain GTA V online Heists missions, can be downright staggering. One day I clocked "The Humane Labs Raid" celebration load screen at 6 minutes - YIKES!.

C64 tape deck games were potentially almost half an hour of loading at 300bps transfer rate, if they filled up most or all of the machine's RAM... Try and beat that! ;)

C64 tape deck games were potentially almost half an hour of loading at 300bps transfer rate, if they filled up most or all of the machine's RAM... Try and beat that! ;)
Thats why i'm talking about disc systems.

Yeah, i had a ZX Spectrum back in the day.

I hope disc's die for home consoles...

The prices of flash storage and capacity increase ever year...

A cheap 32GB flash storage has transfer speed of 80MBps peak which is close to four times the today's home console.

A flash cart is still 1000+ times more expensive than a BD-ROM, and with modern consoles (IE, not wii u), you never notice low optical drive performance after the first ten-fifteen minutes or so of gameplay, and that's assuming you didn't stick the game into your console and just let it sit there buzzing away and pre-installing) for a while before starting the game... ;)

So it'll be a while before optical drives disappear on consoles. I'm assuming they'll be here even on the next generation of devices, at least as an option, because internet speeds (and data caps!) just aren't there for so many people, and won't be up to snuff either for who knows how long. Many ISPs sure are in no hurry whatsoever to upgrade their networks, especially outside major cities.

Off-topic, but the saving time for Diablo 1 PS1(An otherwise excellent port which actually improves on the original version for the most part) is insanely long. My family never clocked it, but I figure it was around 1 minute per save.

The game took up 10 memory blocks out of the 15 the memory card has, BTW.

Last edited:
So, playing Diablo was a family affair at your home? Sounds pretty great! :)
(Sorry OP, don't mean to derail your thread... :))

Oh really... Over a 1000 times? Now? Seriousy? *laughs*

Cost of a single Blu Ray disc is at least 5 cents minimum without shipping, profit margins, tax and so on while flash storage continues to be cheaper while disc based price continues to be stagnant or increase with inflation.

The gap is getting smaller each year between disc and flash...

Heck... Cost per gigabyte for flash is even less than half a dollar by now and now they only need to improve ratio of cost for per gigabyte storage per megabyte transfer.

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/anal...past-18-months-and-will-only-continue-to-drop

The gap is for now 400-500 times...

lost odyssey

dunno how long but i made a instant noodle and the loading still there. So around 3-4 minutes?

The Movie Monster Game on C64. I had the 1541 disc version and my friend had the tape version. The disc version could easily take 3 or 4 minutes to load a particular monster type, city and scenario. The tape/cassette version, easily 20+ minutes which may include switching tapes. Another is a game called Fast Tracks on the C64 which took a good 2 minutes to load as well. My and friends would try and design the most interesting but long course so we would spend more time racing than loading! The other game that stood out in terms of 2 minute load times between scenes was Law of the West on C64, which is like a Western RPG.

So to those complaining about the 50 second load times in Bloodborne and Witcher 3 on consoles, I have two things to say: 1. Stop whining. 2) Stop sucking at combat. :yes:

Yes, we all know the loading times of tapes, but i am not talking about that because it was technology limitation. I'm talking about really bad programming.

Like Soldier of Fortune having 10 times longer loading times than Shenmue on the same system and this one loading much more data (SOF sections were quite short).

those old WWF games for PSP.
They are not that long. There are just too many shit between combat. I'm talking about single loading times.

lost odyssey
dunno how long but i made a instant noodle and the loading still there. So around 3-4 minutes?
I have seen a few Youtube videos (havent played it) and i havent seen any longer than 35-40 seconds.

the loading is depending on the battle and characters. The bigger the area with lots of FX, and more characters counts with crazy amount of accessories, the longer the game loading is (when you run on Core X360).

my worst loading was in something something atoll. when fighting a big fish/dragon/thing.

everytime using "summon" the game will also "do nothing" for a while.

Yes, we all know the loading times of tapes, but i am not talking about that because it was technology limitation. I'm talking about really bad programming.
I am talking about discs. :???:

Slightly off topoc but

The first bluray disks with java for copy protection when used on older players, they just sat there for minutes untill finally loading. Criminal.

Ryse first play on xbox one, insert disk and wait half an hour to play, it may be "installing" but its a console game, reminds me of championship managers new season wait.

Back