NX Gamer Discusses Game Tech *spin* [2015 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Objectively meaning different numbers sure, but non-native means upscaling and blur in both cases. Which people prefer is subjective.

Obviously. Just that 900P specifically means 1600X900 and in this case that is simply factually incorrect.

Is this NX Gamer's first time announcing a game's res? Probably not a pro yet. I'm guessing maybe he counted the horizontal and got less than native, and somehow made the mental jump to "around 900P".

He confuses Umbra middleware used for occlusion culling, with the fading out of objects near the camera... That was disapointing.

It's a shame he doesn't post his article for us to read. He must have everything written down anyway and it's so much easier to read through an article than sit through a 25 minute video. Oh well.

It doesn't help he tends to meander and is rather bland.

But OTOH I'm sure it's a lot of hard work and alternatives/additions to DF are always welcome and it is appreciated.

That still doesn't have anything to do with what Umbra is meant for.

This looks like just an algorithm that's too aggressive (to aid visibility of the combat area surrounding Geralt, although seemingly not considering the view camera distance as well?).

That still doesn't have anything to do with what Umbra is meant for.

This looks like just an algorithm that's too aggressive (to aid visibility of the combat area surrounding Geralt, although seemingly not considering the view camera distance as well?).

The thing is culling is culling, the Umbra solution provides depth runtime check and Point check, the process here is so aggressive (as he states) that its use on foreground and background objects makes sense and does not look like a standard frustum view.

Other thing is he does this as a 1 man band, along with a full time job in software (I have messaged him before) so no-one is infallible without access to the source data and pretty much by and large he is damn close and very thorough. I appreciate his videos but a blog or site would help a lot I agree.

As far as I know, the definition of culling is to discard geometry that is not visible to the camera. A tree that becomes transparent to not obstruct the view for gameplay reasons is not an object that was not visible, so its disapearing is not necessarely culling, but something else (maybe: Magical-fading-out-of-bothersome-assets-in-front-of-the-player™ but not culling), its just an object that some code of the game decided through some coarse evaluation that it was obstructing the view of the playfield. That code could maybe even use parts of the Umbra software solution to do its job, but not necessarely, and probably not entirely, and if it is too agressive, that's a failure of how this system determines when something is obstructive or not and with how big its tollerance is - all unrelated to umbra. The way this guy presented this, he makes it sound like umbra has a knob for "agressiveness" which can be turned up to a point where even objects that are not completely hidden are still discarded. That is, of course, not what is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back