The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt revealed

Also, a more technical question: Does anyone know if there's an equivalent to brown oil in Wild Hunt? In the previous titles is was a blade oil you used to increase bleeding and it tore up humans.

So far the oils are pretty generic. Hanged Man's oil is the only thing applicable to humans and all of the oils are just flat damage bonuses.

However, you can socket runes into weapons that give enhanced bleeding (%chance and %damage I believe). I think basically anything that isn't a flat damage bonus that used to be an oil in past games are now on socketable runes instead.

Regards,
SB

Also, a more technical question: Does anyone know if there's an equivalent to brown oil in Wild Hunt? In the previous titles is was a blade oil you used to increase bleeding and it tore up humans.

Haven't found any oil yet, but the only thing I've come across remotely similar is the "Lesser Devana Runestone" which gives a 3% chance of bleeding. It goes in an empty sword slot and imagine may be more powerful runestones around that increase this percentage or combine additional effects.

New Patch 1.04 released for PC

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.04 changelog:

• Rebinding any key is now available after switching Unlock Bindings option in Options \ Key bindings submenu.

• Corrects an issue in the dialog system that might rarely cause dialog looping in scenes.

• Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were under the influence of Axii sign.

• Corrects a bug causing spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.

• 1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displaying as valid resolution option.

• Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.

• Texture rendering quality for high / ultra presets improved.

• Further improvements in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.

• A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.

• Fixes an issue where users with usernames using non-latin characters were unable to import saves from Witcher 2.

• Overall stability and performance improvements.

• Fixes related to alt + tabbing and minimizing game window.

• Game icon updated.

• Enlarges the size of the loot pop-up window in the UI.

• Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could be displayed outside of game borders in the UI.

• Upgrading set items no longer destroys sockets.

• Small UI tweaks for Gwent.

• Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.

Some of us will be glad with key binding and better texture resolution (mip -1) for hight and Ultra :)

The keybindings are ridiculous
W/S forward/back
arrowkeys left/right

do you need previous patches ?
Lol... I felt the same way initially, expect this to take the most time in game setup. It will become painless and very enjoyable after a few hours!
I also have a multi-button Logitech mouse and later found out to access all mouse buttons I needed to select "Apply Game Settings when a game is detected" in the Setpoint console.

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Update 3 v1.04-GOG

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.04 changelog:

• Rebinding any key is now available after switching Unlock Bindings option in Options \ Key bindings submenu.

• Corrects an issue in the dialog system that might rarely cause dialog looping in scenes.

• Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were under the influence of Axii sign.

• Corrects a bug causing spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.

• 1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displaying as valid resolution option.

• Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.

• Texture rendering quality for high / ultra presets improved.

• Further improvements in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.

• A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.

• Fixes an issue where users with usernames using non-latin characters were unable to import saves from Witcher 2.

• Overall stability and performance improvements.

• Fixes related to alt + tabbing and minimizing game window.

• Game icon updated.

• Enlarges the size of the loot pop-up window in the UI.

• Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could be displayed outside of game borders in the UI.

• Upgrading set items no longer destroys sockets.

• Small UI tweaks for Gwent.

• Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.

Edit; Official changelog added.

Last edited:
No, you don't need previous patch. Did you mess with .ini files before?
No my keyboard auto detects the game and rebinds left arrow to Q and right arrow to E (I use WSQE rather than WSAD)
And when i quit the game it resets the keys to normal

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Update 3 v1.04-GOG

If those are the official GOG patch notes, I'm quite surprised they say it works fine with the Pirated release of the game. Not surprised that it works, since there is no DRM, just surprised they mention the pirate release and thus give make it seem like an official way to get the game for free instead of buying it.

Regards,
SB

Most likely not official since from googled results. Those of us without any experience wouldn't know one way or the other.

Because of Witcher I'm getting late to bed now ...
I was in Oxenfurt today and found out that you can open some of the windows to go after hidden treasure! I also had an amazing fight with harpies on top of ruined tower and fun mission near some battlefield!

I don't want to spoil anything so I'm only generalising, but it's worth going off path as there are some nice hidden treasures and sidequests not available on the board.
Also I'm spending too much of my time playing Gwent, but at least now I'm starting to win some decent cards!

http://i.imgur.com/iEbR3n6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8qKM2Vc.jpg

s0xxdTH.jpg

Not to take too much of your bandwidth I'm only attaching one SS, but the other two are worth checking too!

[edit] Rant off. NM. Have to unlock bindings. Still. F-you consoles.

[edit2] NM. Rant back on. Hit M to open map makes it instantly close once I let go of the M key. WTF? I have to very quickly tap it to try to get it to stay open. Really? Even more hilariously bad. If I bind it to another key. M is still required to close the map. The new key won't close the map. F-you consoles and CDPR.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
How is the font size after the latest update? I was forced to play witcher 2 on my monitor instead of tv because of the ridiculously small font they used. Seems that with all the retarded control issues going on I probably want to play witcher 3 with a controller as well :p

PS. anybody can confirm witcher 3 will do ~60fps with everything on high/ultra (hairworks turned off) @ 1080p on a R9 290 (non X)? According to benchmarks it.

How is the font size after the latest update? I was forced to play witcher 2 on my monitor instead of tv because of the ridiculously small font they used. Seems that with all the retarded control issues going on I probably want to play witcher 3 with a controller as well :p

PS. anybody can confirm witcher 3 will do ~60fps with everything on high/ultra (hairworks turned off) @ 1080p on a R9 290 (non X)? According to benchmarks it.

This is R9 290X but stock clocks so you can OC yours a bit and match my performance.

All uber except:
- Blurr Off (becasue it looks better to me when my screen blurs sub optimal resolution)
- Grass density Hight
- Foliage draw distance High
- Shadows High
- Hairworks Off

WOW it's smooth!

ZUkybpZ.jpg

Gxb7SYv.jpg

When all on Uber except Hairworks, I was getting 48FPS-55FPS.
Also I think I disabled at least one too many for stable 60FPS and you could possibly crank foliage distance to Uber but had no time to test more. Maybe in the evening I will do some more testing.

Last edited:
I have the game looking incredible, thanks to that advice. I bumped it up to 1550p and 50% smoothness and it's unbelievable.
I tried DSR as well. It does look incredible, but to me the difference is not enough compared to the performance drop.
I also noticed more pop in with DSR enabled. "NPCs materializing right before your eyes" kind of pop in. That's a big no no for me.
I could fiddle with settings, most likely lower textures from Ultra to High, but the game looks great at 1440p, and I think I'll be trading a lot for less.

Why would there be more pop in with DSR? Possibly running out of VRAM and therfore streaming?

Why would there be more pop in with DSR? Possibly running out of VRAM and therfore streaming?

Unsure yet. Possibly a "new" bug since references to the "npc pop" started emerging with the latest patch 1.04. Playing on Ultra I haven't noticed any popping yet.
Most review sites found Witcher 3 using very little VRAM but not sure if they tested DSR settings.

Last edited:
Unsure yet. Possibly a "new" bug since references to the "npc pop" started emerging with the latest patch 1.04. Playing on Ultra I haven't noticed any popping yet.
Most review sites found Witcher 3 using very little VRAM but not sure if they tested DSR settings.

Yes, it's a bug in new patch. They releasing patches really quick for which I'm grateful, but because of that there is a bigger chance of introducing new bug in the process. This means patch 1.05 is almost certain very soon :D

Back