The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt revealed

Perhaps we'll still see TressFX in Witcher 3 Enhanced edition?

It's be pretty funny if they added it in with a patch and it ran faster on Nvidia hardware than hairworks.

I'm inclined to believe that Hairworks is deliberately hobbling AMD performance in this game in part because without it AMD is performing so damn well. There's definitely a strong trend of modern games running better on AMD hardware than on what were previously equivalent Nvidia GPU's. It doesn't seem a big stretch of the imagination to conclude it's because of the console connection and there's simply no way for Nvidia to combat that without proprietary code like Gameworks. While I don't agree with them doing that I kind of understand it. Nvidia may well make better, more performant GPU's but given AMD's console links it seems they just aren't being put to as good use as GCN, and the gap's only likely to get bigger with DX12 as developers get lower access to the GPU as well as access to async compute.

AMD is promising improved beta drivers for the games in question, and have posted Important Information about AMD Catalyst Driver Support for Project CARS and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

AMD is committed to improving performance for the recently-released Project CARS and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. To that end, we are creating AMD Catalyst™ 15.5 Beta to optimize performance for these titles, and we will continue to work closely with their developers to improve quality and performance. We will release AMD Catalyst™ 15.5 Beta on our website as soon as it is available.

In the meantime, users experiencing performance issues with the "HairWorks" feature in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt are encouraged to enable the below settings in AMD Catalyst™
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/The-Witcher3.aspx

witcher3_2015_05_21_19_09_10_721.png
witcher3_2015_05_21_19_12_41_524.png
witcher3_2015_05_21_19_12_49_227.png
witcher3_2015_05_21_19_15_53_359.png
witcher3_2015_05_21_19_10_36_550.png
witcher3_2015_05_21_19_10_06_511.png

I don't care what anyone says about graphical downgrading. The game still looks unbelievable

Last edited:
The latest patch certainly improves the performance significantly, and the hairworks penalty seems all but gone now? (On 970) i just leave blur and motion blur off and chromatic ab, no in-game AAand everything else maxed, and seems very smooth.

Also, really like the game so far!

Yeah its pretty great graphically, during night you can see the lights in Novigrad from really far out for example, very cool to have these landmarks on the map visible. The huge oak as well.

Anyone know how to improve the anti-aliasing? Any known settings that can be forced through a program like inspector?

Is there a new benchmark comparison chart made with the 1.03 patch?

DSR or VSR?

Forgive my ignorance, but I kinda fell off the map after I bought my 780's, in terms of the latest Nvidia advancements. I recently bought some new cards, and after a little research those appear to be newer options for the edge-smoothing technology. How's it impact performance?

By the way, this is what happens when you don't visit B3D as often as before :(

Forgive my ignorance, but I kinda fell off the map after I bought my 780's, in terms of the latest Nvidia advancements. I recently bought some new cards, and after a little research those appear to be newer options for the edge-smoothing technology. How's it impact performance?

By the way, this is what happens when you don't visit B3D as often as before :(
They're forced SSAA solutions and work very well but obviously can have considerable impact on performance. The great thing about DSR is that you can pick increments of higher resolutions to render at which is then scaled down to your native resolution. So depending on the title you can choose one that's providing the best performance. I like to combine a moderate DSR setting with a small amount of MSAA which tends to provide the best quality/perf.

Yeah DSR is brute force ordered grid oversampling with a fancy downscale filter (that is adjustable in the NVCP). You go into the NVCP under global 3d settings to enable various levels of DSR that you want and adjust the "blurriness" of the downscale filter (I like ~10%). Then you select those oversampled resolutions in whatever game you're playing and it automatically works. If you combine it with a bit of MSAA it commits wholesale genocide on the jaggies.

Problems arise with higher levels of DSR, e.g. you might not be able to read some in game text and HUD/menu elements since they get oversampled and downscaled as well. But I've found that in most games with moderate DSR (let's face it unless you have dual Titan Xes that's all you can afford anyway Edit now that I think about it Dresden would be the one to have dual Titan Xes :D) it isn't a deal breaker.

Generally speaking, the older the game, the higher levels of DSR you can use while maintaining good FPS. Crysis excepted.

They're forced SSAA solutions and work very well but obviously can have considerable impact on performance. The great thing about DSR is that you can pick increments of higher resolutions to render at which is then scaled down to your native resolution. So depending on the title you can choose one that's providing the best performance. I like to combine a moderate DSR setting with a small amount of MSAA which tends to provide the best quality/perf.

Nice!

Is this handled through the GeForce Experience or Inspector?

I have to say the Hairworks still drops fps way too much on my 970. The native hair looks good enough luckily. Seems like a pretty crappy technology, such a huge performance impact with little image quality benefits.

Last edited:
Holy crap. DSR is incredible. I have the game looking incredible, thanks to that advice. I bumped it up to 1550p and 50% smoothness and it's unbelievable. The hardest part about writing this comment is actually finding the time to take away from playing TW3.

I took a shitload of screens. I'll upload them later.

Also, a more technical question: Does anyone know if there's an equivalent to brown oil in Wild Hunt? In the previous titles is was a blade oil you used to increase bleeding and it tore up humans.

I had a couple pretty creepy quests. The haunted house in Novigrad was pretty chilling, along with the Red Baron quest line. The monster design is amazing. The botchling was truly horrific looking. It really hearkened back to the original game and exploring crypts filled with Fleders, those creepy bat vampire monsters.

Back