The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt revealed

It is silly in open world games where you have snow, jungle, an desert all within a couple miles of each other. The real world doesn't really work that way. Not to say it can't work in some games because they're games, but I think CDP is going for a "realistic" vibe with this series.

lightman how are you reducing tess in the game or in the ccc ?

CCC, it works really well! AA for HairWorks is reduced via editing game config file.
I've settled for 8xTess and 4xAA for HairWorks. So far I'm in White Orchard and I have constant 30FPS without any slowdowns. I wish I could have 60FPS, but for that I will have to wait a bit longer.

PS. unlocked, I'm getting more than 40FPS on average in the open sections.

People can believe in a variety of things, until there is a measurable repeatable experiment in place...

Let me know when you have something that'll do that on PS2 and we'll talk. Considering there is none available for us to test it with, then it is up to you to somehow prove your point.

And since we definitely can't run fraps on a PS2 there's no way to see if fraps would provide a similar frame time graph making comparisons with a developer tool on PS2 problematic.

Regards,
SB

lightman how are you reducing tess in the game or in the ccc ?

i dont think theres an option ( or it have not be find yet ) for set the desired level in the game *.ini files.

I hope it is hidden somewhere for nvidia users, as basically they could win a lot of performance without much reducing visual quality.

Last edited:
People can believe in a variety of things, until there is a measurable repeatable experiment in place...

i think the problem lies with people perception of "what is smooth". for somepeople 100+ fps with variable frame time can look smooth, for others can look stuttery.

With vsync off it will consistently break 100fps so there are no performance issues here:
Agreed, so far consistent buttery smooth play, if only Skyrim was like this! I'm impressed so far regarding performance using default Ultra settings in sli .... :D

Could the amount of VRAM the game uses have anything to do with it? Guru3D reported this game uses an unusually low amount even at Ultra HD. His review (Ultra setting only) is still a work in progress and will be adding additional observations over the next few days. It should be interesting once he gets the FCAT and SLI analysis.

index.php

"We have seen some scenes use a little more and others a little less, but it's all cool really. We have not been able to pass 2 GB of graphics memory. Meaning the game doesn't use huge succulent textures, but rather renders quality shaders in-game, you can tell the programmers put a lot of work into this."

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/the_witcher_3_graphics_performance_review,7.html

Last edited:
Here we go..

I asked AMD's chief gaming scientist Richard Huddy, a vocal critic of Nvidia's GameWorks technology, about AMD's involvement with CD Projekt Red, and the support it had reportedly failed to provide to the developer: "That's an unfortunate view, but that doesn't follow from what we're seeing," said Huddy. "We've been working with CD Projeckt Red from the beginning. We've been giving them detailed feedback all the way through. Around two months before release, or thereabouts, the GameWorks code arrived with HairWorks, and it completely sabotaged our performance as far as we're concerned. We were running well before that...it's wrecked our performance, almost as if it was put in to achieve that goal."

About TressFX:

Which brings us to the next question: why did CD Projekt Red choose to include HairWorks but not AMD's TressFX? It's entirely possible to include tech from both companies, and as Nvidia claimed to PC Perspective, it's "agreements with developers don’t prevent them from working with other IHVs [independent hardware vendors]." Indeed, Rockstar's recent PC release of GTA V includes tech from both AMD and Nvidia.

Ultimately, though, there's an additional amount of time and cost attached to including two very different types of technology to produce largely the same effect. According to AMD's Huddy, the company "specifically asked" CD Projekt Red if it wanted to put TressFX in the game following the revelation that HairWorks was causing such a large drop in performance, but apparently the developer said 'it was too late.'"

Perhaps we'll still see TressFX in Witcher 3 Enhanced edition?

they should have just to reduce the tesselation level used for hairwork ( even for Maxwell users, let alone Kepler gpu's ) and specially put down the AA level. this should balance allready really well the impact of it..

i dont even understand why, when they have see the performance impact ( on every brand ), they have not think to put 2 settings level for it, ( normal, high),. should not be that hard to implement. ( i think for guys with 760-770- 960 )

Something i ask me, is if TW3 is using an inhouse AA method, what is the technic of AA used on hairwork ? the same one ?

Last edited:
Something i ask me, is if TW3 is using an inhouse AA method, what is the technic of AA used on hairwork ? the same one ?

Good question. Is it even possible/feasible to use an AA technique that is incompatible with the TW3 REDengine 3 renderer?
To tackle jagged edges, CD Projekt RED has developed their own post-process anti-aliasing solution, as hardware anti-aliasing techniques such as MSAA and TXAA are incompatible with REDengine 3's renderer. This unnamed post-processing technique operates with a level of fidelity similar to FXAA, but with an added temporal anti-aliasing component to reduce the crawling and shimmering of anti-aliased edges when the camera or player's viewpoint is in motion.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...g-guide#the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-anti-aliasing

Last edited:
when looking at the ini, hairwork AA have 3 setting: 2-4-8x, similar of standard MSAA, but their temporal "unnamed" AA seems to be on, or off. well i think we miss some information there.

I cant test the game, so its more a question than anything.

I have an impression that Hairworks is using hardware MSAA and the game engine is using their own AA on top of that. Also you can force hardware MSAA from CCC and turn off game AA, it should work. I will test it in about an hour :)

EDIT: Tested and forcing CCC AA methods doesn't work for any mode, not even Morphological ..

Last edited:
From what I understand they're using tile deferred for the main rendering and tile forward for the rest. I suppose they're just applying temporal AA to the first, and... whereever HairWorks is done in the pipe they enable MSAA ?

I have an impression that Hairworks is using hardware MSAA and the game engine is using their own AA on top of that. Also you can force hardware MSAA from CCC and turn off game AA, it should work. I will test it in about an hour :)

EDIT: Tested and forcing CCC AA methods doesn't work for any mode, not even Morphological ..

Thanks for testing it .

Ultimately, though, there's an additional amount of time and cost attached to including two very different types of technology to produce largely the same effect. According to AMD's Huddy, the company "specifically asked" CD Projekt Red if it wanted to put TressFX in the game following the revelation that HairWorks was causing such a large drop in performance, but apparently the developer said 'it was too late.'"
Or you know, AMD could have worked with them much earlier but once again the public gets the impression that AMD react upon a release of a game whereas Nvidia work with them prior to release. Small wonder their competitor has a majority of marketshare and mindshare.

Or you know, AMD could have worked with them much earlier but once again the public gets the impression that AMD react upon a release of a game whereas Nvidia work with them prior to release. Small wonder their competitor has a majority of marketshare and mindshare.
AMD still doesn't have a driver out that supports Crossfire in this game. But I'm sure that's NVIDIA's fault as well. :LOL:

A new patch was released today, which apparently adds some new graphical features. These were taken prior to the update. I'll take/post more :)

New patch? Thanks!

BTW those screenshots look absolutely fantastic! :D

Edit: Patch 1.03 details:

All Patch notes (via the site):

• Improves stability in gameplay and the UI
  • Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
  • Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed
  • Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
  • Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
  • Sharpen Post-process settings extended from Off/On to Off/Low/High
  • Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
  • Corrects a bug where player was able to shoot bolts at friendly NPCs
  • Improves menu handling
  • Corrects an issue with Stamina regeneration while sprinting
  • Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcured when scrolling the map
  • Generally improves world map focus
  • Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
  • Corrects some missing translations in the UI
  • Corrects an issue in dialogue selections