Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

How did you get to that? The current Rift has a definition of 2560×1440, but that means 1280×1440 per eye. So it's not much more work than regular rendering at 2560×1440 with a target of 90FPS.

Yeah I think I'm confusing 3D Vision with the requirements for VR. I have a 1920x1080p monitor. Stereoscopic 3D on that monitor requires 2x 1080p performance for 3D so I was equating that to VR, but thinking a little deeper I guess VR achieves the same thing by simply halving the resolution and delivering each half to each eye. So maybe I can get away with a single Pascal then!

It's worth noting though that a single Titan X already can't achieve 90fps average (nevermind minimum) at 2560x1440 in a lot of modern games at max settings and requirements are only going to get higher in future. So it seems SLI is still going to be a requirement for the full monty experience. Perhaps not Titan X SLI though... but I'd say 2x 970 minimum.

It's worth noting though that a single Titan X already can't achieve 90fps average (nevermind minimum) at 2560x1440 in a lot of modern games at max settings and requirements are only going to get higher in future. So it seems SLI is still going to be a requirement for the full monty experience. Perhaps not Titan X SLI though... but I'd say 2x 970 minimum.

well current rumors put the 390x duking it out within % points of the titan x and will be priced at only $600 as per the rumors. So I believe we could see better than titan performance at $500 or under by fall. I will most likely wait till the HBM 2 designs come out and try to eek more performance out of my 7950 till then. I think a lot of people will opt to render at a lower res for vr and just upscale.

Yeah, minimum framerates especially can be a bitch in VR, so the requirements are probably going to be very high. They'll be even higher at 4K, but that will definitely be for the better.

i guess the question is what does liquid VR give, will there by any frame interpolation and what rez will the first consumer product be. Also reality is the difference between high and max in terms of visual quality improvements vs performance is terrible. the far more important question is what can these card sustain on high.

Only if you want to use graphics cards that are available for purchase today. In 2016, with nVidias Pascal architecture, and AMDs whatever-they-will-call-it, both using HBM2, who knows quite what the price/performance picture will be like? It won't look like today, that's for sure.

Furthermore, if the Titan X drops below 90fps at max settings, then maybe one could consider dropping some insignificant setting from its maximum? (That's not what is done in benchmarking articles of course because the idea there is not to play games, but to have a reproducible test environment.)

I get a lot more than 100 fps average on most games at 1440p high-ultra (Guild Wars 2 and AC Unity are the two exceptions I can think) with 970s SLIed.
On Elite I get a lot more than that.
And I'm sure that you can live with medium textures and post processing on a rift.

I get a lot more than 100 fps average on most games at 1440p high-ultra (Guild Wars 2 and AC Unity are the two exceptions I can think) with 970s SLIed.
On Elite I get a lot more than that.
And I'm sure that you can live with medium textures and post processing on a rift.
Medium textures? Never!
I always shut off DOF and motion blur however, since neither is appropriate if you are trying to simulate being present in an environment. That usually helps a fair bit.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/first-look-at-the-rift-shipping-q1-2016/

It wont ship till Q1 2016 so about on par with Morpheus so it will be interesting to compare these two.

Also over the coming weeks they will be showing off the new head set plus new input methods
rift2.jpg

rift1.jpg

https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/

Given the challenges around VR graphics performance, the Rift will have a recommended specification to ensure that developers can optimize for a known hardware configuration, which ensures a better player experience of comfortable sustained presence. The recommended PC specification is an NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD 290, Intel i5-4590, and 8GB RAM. This configuration will be held for the lifetime of the Rift and should drop in price over time.

Apart from the recommended spec, the Rift will require:

Windows 7 SP1 or newer
2x USB 3.0 ports
HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture

The last bullet point is tricky: many discrete GPU laptops have their external video output connected to the integrated GPU and drive the external output via hardware and software mechanisms that can’t support the Rift. Since this isn’t something that can be determined by reading the specs of a laptop, we are working on how to identify the right systems. Note that almost no current laptops have the GPU performance for the recommended spec, though upcoming mobile GPUs may be able to support this level of performance.

They also state the rift runs at 2160x1200 at 90hz over dual displays. I'm a bit disappointed that this is coming out a quarter later than the vive and has the same specs.

2160×1200? That's a pretty odd definition. And it might be fine for a development kit, but it's too low for a commercial release.

They've done something with the optics to increase pixel fill / reduce screen door. The hands on with cb were all pretty positive on that front. Not much in the way of text in the demos though.

Isn't that a lower resolution than Crescent Bay? That's weird if so.

So it looks like the PC 'baseline' for VR will be around twice the performance of a PS4. I'm hoping that's just for a full resolution/full frame rate experience at minimum graphics settings and that developers will at least allow the core graphics to scale up for more powerful setups.

So it looks like the PC 'baseline' for VR will be around twice the performance of a PS4. I'm hoping that's just for a full resolution/full frame rate experience at minimum graphics settings and that developers will at least allow the core graphics to scale up for more powerful setups.
The 290 and 970 are more like 3x the ~7850 in the PS4 in actual games.

It would seem even a 970 or 290 is just barely enough to run that res at 90FPS in modern titles. In fact more than a few modern titles require quite a bit of settings reduction to reach 90Hz even at 1080p on those cards. Though maybe there is some CPU limitation involved and other general inefficiencies that D3D12/Vulcan will alleviate.

This is great for me, I hoped that the 970 would become a kind of baseline when I bought it but wasn't sure. Would have had to kick myself for a bit if I had been wrong.

This is great news, my specs just about fit. But about the USB ports. Is this a requirement? I only have one 3.0 :s

They never said what the resolution was on CB. People just assumed it was on par with GearVR as the screen door effect was less pronounced.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/

They also state the rift runs at 2160x1200 at 90hz over dual displays. I'm a bit disappointed that this is coming out a quarter later than the vive and has the same specs.

So that's 1080x1200 per eye. Strange resolution. At first I thought it was 2160x1200 for each eye, but HDMI 1.3 wouldn't be able to provide the bandwidth needed for that at 90 Hz.

And looking at it, that's almost at the limit of what HDMI 1.3 can provide. So they couldn't have offered much of a resolution bump over that while still using HDMI (without going to HDMI 2.0). It's a shame they didn't spec for Display Port and a higher resolution per eye. I guess HDMI is the spec they are using so users can use it for 3D TV content? Although doesn't 3D on TV require HDMI 1.4? [edit] Ah read it again, HDMI is used for compatibility with most laptops I guess.

Regards,
SB

Its the same res of the vive 1200x1080 . two usb ports , hdmi port and head phones.

I wonder if they just just shared one design at this point

Back