Assassin's Creed Syndicate

You're right, Laa-Yosh. But they could at least try to make up for that with a strong over-arching plot that connects all the new characters/settings together in a single consistent universe continuity.

Exactly, they managed to do that very well between the original and the trliogy despite the different locations and time periods but ever since the
death of Desmond
the overarching plotline seems to have completely unravelled. I wouldn't even recognize Unity as an AC game if it wasn't for the hoods and hidden blades!

the overarching plotline seems to have completely unravelled.

Not to mention the blatant lack of imagination for the setting.
After the first game (which is not even an origin story for the Brotherhood), they just got stuck with western settings between the renaissance and the industrial revolution.
Not only did they miss the whole dark age (which would've been fantastic to explore IMO), they basically westernized the middle-eastern Assassins and made everything about Europeans+Americans.
Why? The Assassins decided to go only northwest from Jerusalem? How about exploring the Ottoman Empire? Why not go east towards India, China's Ming/Qing dinasties, exploring the Mongol invasions, Indochina, Indonesia, etc.?
Not to mention the blatantly obvious historic crossover they could do with japanese shinobis during that everyone keeps talking about. The game shows there are Pieces of Eden close to civilizations all over the world, yet here are we with 80% of the games focused on a small portion of the world map..

It reminds me of Hollywood's blatant whitewashing of every single thing they get their hands on.

I generally consider Oldboy to be a western remake rather than a whitewashing.

That is true, there was nothing significantly different about it to differentiate from the original other than using white Caucasian in English language.

Not to mention the blatant lack of imagination for the setting.
After the first game (which is not even an origin story for the Brotherhood), they just got stuck with western settings between the renaissance and the industrial revolution.
Not only did they miss the whole dark age (which would've been fantastic to explore IMO), they basically westernized the middle-eastern Assassins and made everything about Europeans+Americans.
Why? The Assassins decided to go only northwest from Jerusalem? How about exploring the Ottoman Empire? Why not go east towards India, China's Ming/Qing dinasties, exploring the Mongol invasions, Indochina, Indonesia, etc.?
Not to mention the blatantly obvious historic crossover they could do with japanese shinobis during that everyone keeps talking about. The game shows there are Pieces of Eden close to civilizations all over the world, yet here are we with 80% of the games focused on a small portion of the world map..

It reminds me of Hollywood's blatant whitewashing of every single thing they get their hands on.
I am a sucker for Greece, Rome and Palmirans.

But I don't know, something is amiss with this game. I played AC IV a little and the art style didn't make me feel like I was in that setting.

Age of Empires 1 and 2 were amazing in that respect. In Age of Empires 1 I could feel how free and how tough live could be, how were the woods, the sea..., there were whales in the sea... I loved the setting.

Age of Empires 2 was really good too. You felt like Genghis Khan in its campaign and the narration was just top notch. Same with the campaign of Joan of Arc, you felt like she was the hero of France. Not to mention the William Wallace campaign.

Age of Empires 1 and 2 were amazing in that respect. In Age of Empires 1 I could feel how free and how tough live could be, how were the woods, the sea..., there were whales in the sea... I loved the setting.
Slightly O/T but if that's your thing and you haven't already, check out Banished. When you're crops have been blighted and your reserves are low and winter is coming, it's grim. Have sunk an insane number of hours in just a few different play throughs.

Slightly O/T but if that's your thing and you haven't already, check out Banished. When you're crops have been blighted and your reserves are low and winter is coming, it's grim. Have sunk an insane number of hours in just a few different play throughs.
I went to the game's homepage and then I found it at GoG! Thanks. :)

http://www.gog.com/game/banished

That's the kind of game I usually like, the evocative ones. I added it to my GoG Cart already, although I didn't pay yet, this is a bad month for me, economy wise.

From the video and the stills, it seems to get the atmosphere right.

In that sense, Age of Empires 1 made you feel you were in the ancient world, where there were plenty of freedom, lots of space, dangers, mythology -the unexplained created it-, wild nature was abound, and when you sent your little fishing ships to the sea, with a little imagination you could see you caught a fish with whiskers.

Well, one thing we can hope for is that Ubi seems to listen to the gamers' requests. I mean there were some articles before ACU that listed the most asked for settings and both the French Revolution and Victorian London were quite high up there. So maybe if people are asking for something different, they'll listen.

Some promo shots are up
image_assassin_s_creed_syndicate-28924-3228_0002.jpg

image_assassin_s_creed_syndicate-28924-3228_0003.jpg

image_assassin_s_creed_syndicate-28924-3228_0004.jpg

Nerfed SSS in comparison to Unity?
acu2014-11-1307-43-13cdr4n.png

acu2014-11-1721-57-39zdppd.png

acu2014-11-2314-47-51a9psr.png

Looks noticeably worse than Unity imo. I guess that's a compromise for a stable 30 fps (hopefully) for consoles?

Lighting seems more flat as well

Syndicate promo shots
image_assassin_s_creed_syndicate-28924-3228_0005.jpg

image_assassin_s_creed_syndicate-28924-3228_0001.jpg

AC:U gameplay shots
acu2014-11-1600-29-013pp44.png

acu2015-07-1008-33-28rtoay.png

Did they say if they moved to full TOD again? If they did that could explain the difference in lighting since there's no baked GI.

Not sure how the game will turn out but it certainly seems toned down visually in comparison with Unity, just compare that trailer to this:

Can we just stop annual releases please? This is just silly :LOL:

I saw the game today at a Comicon event. PS4 version. Not sure if the displays used were the culprit but I wasnt very impressed. I suspect that the game may be running below 1080p

Seeing literally every other open world game are running 1080/30 or 60fps on the PS4 with good to insane level of graphics, I don't see why the new AC games are struggling to hit 1080p at least. Good thing is I'll have way more than ENOUGH open world game to play to even begin to care about an AC game at this point.

Seeing literally every other open world game are running 1080/30 or 60fps on the PS4 with good to insane level of graphics, I don't see why the new AC games are struggling to hit 1080p at least. Good thing is I'll have way more than ENOUGH open world game to play to even begin to care about an AC game at this point.

And it seems so contradicting when compared with the presentation by Sebbi with GPU-Rendering, saving CPU cycles, virtual texturing and all that, i find it hard to believe that these improvements in rendering don't make it to AC, one of Ubis major franchises(if not the biggest right now).

Some initial thoughts from Eurogamer who have played three hours of the game.

I really hope this turns out good, the city (once again) looks incredible. No more interiors though, it was a high point in Unity imo.

Back