Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Interesting, I would've thought the opposite (ghosting more noticeable on LCD vs Plasma). Maybe they have frame interpolation enabled on their LCD.

If I have time, I'll look at the gamersyde videos on my plasma and LCD.

I'm not saying there's no difference or not noticable, it's just that you are moving most of the time and even if PS4 was 16x AF, it would probably end up looking blurry in motion. The IQ hit by having a frame blend is worse in motion compared to any AF setting.

edit: Oh sorry! Now I understand what you mean. I think you got me wrong. I wasn't talking about you pasting screenshots :) I was talking about the frame blending ("pasting" pixels from previous frames on the last one)

edit2:

Oh no, you didn't!!

Wait a minute!! They are using a sharpening filter on the XB1 version! Eww! That's gross.

That's definitely causing the aliased look on the XB1 version. I don't think it could explain the sharpness difference in oblique textures cause the others textures (the non-oblique) like the trees on the 4th image in the DF tool don't show at all the same clarity difference seen in oblique textures.

PS4 (using high quality jpg, quality 100):
Olvb.png

XB1 (using high quality jpg, quality 100):
Plvb.png

Interesting, I would've thought the opposite (ghosting more noticeable on LCD vs Plasma). Maybe they have frame interpolation enabled on their LCD.

If I have time, I'll look at the gamersyde videos on my plasma and LCD.

What I thought as well, but maybe, the person is accustomed to the low-persistence of a plasma display where there's no remainder of a previous frame, whereas the brain gets rid of that extra ghost frame when viewing LCD's which technically always have some if it's not adding a blank frame in between. That was the best explanation I can come up with but I'm not sure if that's enough explanation. At least I think I got the Plasma part correct :)

Wait a minute!! They are using a sharpening filter on the XB1 version! Eww! That's gross.
That indeed looks like a sharpen filter, the way the edges change colour..

Last edited:
Call of Duty had a couple 1080p frames at stills :LOL:
Yeah it isn't always about PR though.
Sometimes it is about the titles performance. The Witcher having a dynamic res is much better than the originally announced 900p. Right?
I don't consider this PR as much as the devs optimizing the title to get the best performance possible out of the system.
More devs should use dynamic res as opposed to games having terrible frame drops on any system.

I seem to recall that 1080p with 1440-1920 dynamic res is less intrusive / noticeable?

A number of edges look native with some sort of high AA - entrance to the pub.

The character cut-scene looks possibly upscaled.

edit: or... supersampled even? Some of the edges in the close-ups aren't as well AA'd, but they give the impression of 5/4 ratio super sampling.

edit: woman's bangs look suspicious - something very bizarre about it.

edit:
Maybe they're using an HRAA variant. Texture clarity is pretty high. Sometimes there's a ghost offset to some of the objects, particularly when the camera is panning once outside - check out the wood structures.

Also some ghosting artefact when throwing up the rope.

Last edited:
Yeah, the screenshots are typical PR stuff. Was looking at the demo gameplay vid btw.
Edit
Shader aliasing is still an issue at times, so it's probably not real or enough supersampling.

Last edited:
Yeah it isn't always about PR though.
Sometimes it is about the titles performance. The Witcher having a dynamic res is much better than the originally announced 900p. Right?
I don't consider this PR as much as the devs optimizing the title to get the best performance possible out of the system.
More devs should use dynamic res as opposed to games having terrible frame drops on any system.
Agreed. There is no need for a 1080p checkbox crusade if the framerate can't be stable, when the framerate is fully smooth (stable) this imo translates into the best version running on any system if the unhindered framerate never falters.

Additionally, I have a feeling MS are forcing developers to use the scaling chip, to give it some usage rather than just non native upscaling from 900p to 1080p on a regular basis. I expect some heavy native upscaling and downscaling in Halo 5 to keep a stable 60 fps gameplay.

Last edited:
Additionally, I have a feeling MS are forcing developers to use the scaling chip, to give it some usage rather than just non native upscaling from 900p to 1080p on a regular basis. I expect some heavy native upscaling and downscaling in Halo 5 to keep a stable 60 fps gameplay.
There is no scaling chip. Standard AMD GPU stuff.

Yeah, looked about 1440p (1.33*1080). Probably the next highest res that makes sense to use after 1080 if anything.

The temporal ghosting does make me wonder if they adopted far cry's method at the same time.

Oh well, never trust pr footage etc.

edit: I suppose it could just be a temporal SMAA variant too. *shrug*

Last edited:
Back