Formula 1 - 2015 season

Ferrari's update was largely aerodynamic, but its appears that Mercedes biggest advantage was mechanical. It been pointed out that the first two sectors, which has the more high speed corners, reliant on aero performance, Merc were faster than Ferrari by a few tenths, but the Merc absolutely monstered the final sector in which is much lower speed. If that carries on, then you'd expect to see a rout by Merc at Monaco and other tracks that have twisty sections.

Seems like the bin lids over at the F1 strategy group are now set to allow customer cars. If it is true, F1 is dooooooooooooooomed

I read a rumour on another forum that they changed the fuel flow regulations again so that the value can be no less 90kg/h as some one (presumably Ferrari as they seemed to be way behind again even on race pace) were storing unused fuel in the system to get a burst of extra power when needed.

This just in....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32751118

Refueling returns, higher revving and therefore louder engines.

Aside from when it went wrong, refueling wasn't exciting.

Whats wrong with F1 is all the stupid restrictions like the PU quota. As we saw last week, Mercedes could be 2 seconds faster than they run already if the formula allowed the car to be pushed 90% of the time. And how quick could the others go if they weren't always thinking about tyre & PU management.

And how quick could the others go if they weren't always thinking about tyre & PU management.

Honda-Mclaren's problems has been exacerbated by the fuel restrictions. Their problems with the MGU-H has meant, that not only did they have lower absolute power, but they were also running at lower thermodynamical efficiency, burning more fuel per HP, and thus have had to reduce power further to save fuel.

Cheers

On the one hand, it is good to introduce more possibilities for errors, on the other hand it can be cruel. Remember Massa in Singapore driving a Ferrari with a great chance for a race win (and maybe the championship) when the fuel hose wasn't detached when he stamped the throttle.

Though Singapore 2008 is remember mostly for that other bit of business ...

I read a rumour on another forum that they changed the fuel flow regulations again so that the value can be no less 90kg/h as some one (presumably Ferrari as they seemed to be way behind again even on race pace) were storing unused fuel in the system to get a burst of extra power when needed.
That's not a rumour, it is a rule. Implemented prior to the last GP.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118895

On the one hand, it is good to introduce more possibilities for errors, on the other hand it can be cruel. Remember Massa in Singapore driving a Ferrari with a great chance for a race win (and maybe the championship) when the fuel hose wasn't detached when he stamped the throttle.

Though Singapore 2008 is remember mostly for that other bit of business ...

Not just for errors. But there are benefits with regards to speed assuming that refueling doesn't take significantly longer than a regular tire change. The most obvious is that they don't need to start with a full load of fuel at the start. Running lighter means not only a potential for more speed at the start of the race, but potential for less fuel consumption leading to using that fuel savings towards more speed.

Nothing prevents a team from going without refueling (it's not required to refuel), but why would you do that when it'd put you at a disadvantage versus teams that do refuel during a race?

IMO, great decision to allow refueling during the face again. That along with allowing the choice of any of the 4 tire compounds, and not just the 2 that Pirelli chooses for each race.

I wish they would also allow for more ground effect which would help somewhat with the dirty air problem of following another car, but I fear that would be too much of a safety concession from them. As if the ground effect is lost the car could go flying...literally. Indy Car which allows for much more grip due to ground effect has had a couple spectacular aerial crashes this year.

Regards,
SB

The only way I can see the "choose your own tyre compound" thing working is this: there needs to be a wider range of compounds with subtler variations making the choice of which is best much harder.

If the range of compounds is as it is now and the teams can choose, they most likely end up with the same choices that Pirelli now make. For instance, on safety grounds, the super-softs cannot be used at certain tracks because of loads and temperature (Monza, Malaysia).

The only way I can see the "choose your own tyre compound" thing working is this: there needs to be a wider range of compounds with subtler variations making the choice of which is best much harder.

If the range of compounds is as it is now and the teams can choose, they most likely end up with the same choices that Pirelli now make. For instance, on safety grounds, the super-softs cannot be used at certain tracks because of loads and temperature (Monza, Malaysia).
With current cars I think at least Ferrari would prefer softer options than Pirelli brings on certain tracks, they seem to work and last a lot better on them than most

Methinks all the top-end teams will just try to tune their cars for the softest tire possible .. but that might be fun for a while, though

Methinks all the top-end teams will just try to tune their cars for the softest tire possible .. but that might be fun for a while, though
But we've seen Mercedes struggle heavily with this for many years now and Malaysia this year was another example of their car using its tyres more than other cars.

Any predictions for the Monaco weekend? I gotta say this has to be the most boring track on the F1 calendar. It's fun in the video games if you are doing a lap time attack and trying to see how fast you can go and not hit the barriers etc etc but there's absolutely no place to overtake in the real world. In the video game yeah it is possible but it's a video game. Ugh F1 is just terrible this year despite my man Hamilton doing good and Ferrari coming back.

Hamilton looks pretty dominant but tomorrow (or should I say Saturday) is another day.

I predict that Hamilton will not follow Rosberg on his final lap in Q3 though.

Hamilton looks pretty dominant but tomorrow (or should I say Saturday) is another day.

I predict that Hamilton will not follow Rosberg on his final lap in Q3 though.

I think Hamilton said this round he has the choice to choose whether he gets to go first or not and I would agree with you. I still think Rosberg played it dirty last year.

Moron of a grosjean braking way too early and then goes calling others stupid...

Fortunately there is still a good chance of mr T's look-a-like not winning.

WTF stewards, you have strict rules about collisions, but suddenly Ricciardo can literally push Räikkönen out of the way and get away with it?! You even gave Alonso penalty for exact same move

Back