All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was very true when PS3 came out. Now they've been left behind by so many rivals, it's hard for them to make a comeback. It's not like they can make their movies and music exclusive to PlayStation because they'd lose way more money than they'd gain marketshare. All Sony can do now is operate their own store in parallel to the hundreds of others competing for our custom. For example, Music Unlimited is no more and instead Sony have partnered with Spotify.

Well Sony will be pushing 4K TVs and presumably 4K Blu Ray, whenever it comes out.

There is no competing disc format this time but there are 4K streaming services planned, from Netflix and others.

That was very true when PS3 came out. Now they've been left behind by so many rivals, it's hard for them to make a comeback. It's not like they can make their movies and music exclusive to PlayStation because they'd lose way more money than they'd gain marketshare.
Sony's presence in these industries is no different today than it was when PS3 launched. Nothing has changed. Making media exclusive to PlayStation would be commercial suicide and nobody is suggesting that but cutting PlayStation service subscribers a break with regard to timing or availability, or 'digital ownership' on more flexible or preferable terms, is something they will have control over in future.

Apple have got HBO onboard for AppleTV. Sony should be thinking likewise because I'd sure like to see Game of Thrones without my current subscription.

All Sony can do now is operate their own store in parallel to the hundreds of others competing for our custom. For example, Music Unlimited is no more and instead Sony have partnered with Spotify.

Music Unlimited is gone but PlayStation Music, which is powered by Spotify, has taken it's place. Big difference. I never used Music Unlimited but can testify to Spotify and having that service backend Sony's service has got to be better than what Sony had. No doubt Sony's music label cut them a deal. It's almost like synergy :runaway:

Microsoft - I honestly can't see their interest in investing in an industry with limited to no growth potential. They had hopes of how consoles could grow in importance, but those hopes are crushed by now. From a financial standpoint, Microsoft can easily keep churning out consoles if they deem it to be of strategic importance. But the benefits Nadella quoted for keeping the Xbox around were limp indeed, and playing second (or, in some markets, third) fiddle in a non-growth industry just doesn't make much sense to them. Better to invest their money to make their Windows to Mobile efforts stronger, or battling Unix in server space, defending their administrative monopolies, simply playing the financial investment game, or whatever really as long as there is substantial growth potential. And stationary consoles just don't offer that.

I wouldn't say crushed as much as significantly set back. The Xbox of the old guard (pre-power change within Microsoft) is not the Xbox of the future. Or it's possible it may still be similar, and much of this was planned from the start (features, not how they've performed in the marketplace).

Thus we see not only more convergence with Windows (the whole One Microsoft), yet at the same time features introduced that will have a synergy with Windows yet are Xbox specific.

TV tuner and the upcoming rumored TV DVR functionality (once the domain of WMC) are examples of something with potentially great synergy with Windows devices, yet will be an Xbox specific feature. And that makes perfect sense. WMC as a Windows program saw diminishing uses YoY even before they stopped active development of the program. It was nice but HTPC (which I love) is never going to take over the living room, where most people would want to use it. Xbox exists for the living room, and hence that functionality makes a lot of sense with the potential to attract more usage than WMC ever did. I'd imagine that at some point Xbox will gain the ability to stream TV and recorded TV to any Windows device.

It's also possible that Microsoft might be looking at some way to partner with cable companies. Even if their importance is being diminished year after year with regards to serving up television content due to internet alternatives, it still has large masses of subscribers. Likewise the possibility would exist for satellite TV providers.

Basically before XBO launched, it was meant to be more than just a gaming device. That took a hit when they focused way too much on the non-gaming aspects, but it hasn't stopped them from proceeding with the original plan of making the XBO significantly more than just a gaming device.

Basically, other than the always online and Kinect in every box plans, the only other thing that has changed is their marketing. The Xbox still isn't "more" focused on games (it was always going to be a games machine anyway). It's just that the marketing is more focused on games. All the non-gaming stuff is still proceeding according to plan, except perhaps with far more integration with Windows than originally planned.

Rapid feature addtions and increments in the Xbox OS shows that, at least currently, Microsoft are still 100% committed to the device and still see it as an integral part of their strategies.

Regards,
SB

Basically, other than the always online and Kinect in every box plans, the only other thing that has changed is their marketing.

The only thing that hasn't changed is the hardware which was fixed. They have done 180s on everything, everything. Some more than once. Which is a good thing for people like me, but don't try to sugar coat it and pretend they have a vision and are sticking to it. They had several visions, each one got dumped as the head suit was rotated. In the end they landed on the same message the PS4 started with and has maintained; game console for gamers by gamers.

The above is key.
Sony did see synergies with the launch of Blu-Ray, but in the current technological landscape their options to energise other business interests using a home console seem less obvious. I'm sure there are some synergies, and it gives them some options going forward, so odds are good for a PS5 since the PS4 is a profitable business in its own right.
Microsoft - I honestly can't see their interest in investing in an industry with limited to no growth potential. They had hopes of how consoles could grow in importance, but those hopes are crushed by now. From a financial standpoint, Microsoft can easily keep churning out consoles if they deem it to be of strategic importance. But the benefits Nadella quoted for keeping the Xbox around were limp indeed, and playing second (or, in some markets, third) fiddle in a non-growth industry just doesn't make much sense to them. Better to invest their money to make their Windows to Mobile efforts stronger, or battling Unix in server space, defending their administrative monopolies, simply playing the financial investment game, or whatever really as long as there is substantial growth potential. And stationary consoles just don't offer that.
I expect Nadella not to be shy when the time comes to push HTPC+Windows in our living room, the line is extremely blurry already with the XB One.

The only thing that hasn't changed is the hardware which was fixed. They have done 180s on everything, everything. Some more than once. Which is a good thing for people like me, but don't try to sugar coat it and pretend they have a vision and are sticking to it. They had several visions, each one got dumped as the head suit was rotated. In the end they landed on the same message the PS4 started with and has maintained; game console for gamers by gamers.

You just think they have but they haven't.

TV focus? Still there and alive and actively being developed, just not at the front of their advertising campaign. Non-gaming living room focus. Still there, alive and unchanged, except with even more emphasis (development dollars) being put on it than before.

What's left? Gaming? Exactly the same, unchanged, except with more marketing. Actively pursuing 2nd party exclusive deals? Exactly the same and unchanged from before XBO launched.

So what have they done a 180 on? Always Online (which encompassed some things, like family sharing). Kinect in every box (which includes advertising Kinect enabled games). What else? You can't just claim they did a 180 on everything and then not even cite an example where they've done that.

If anything there's a radical schism between public perception and reality. The public thinks that MS are more focused on gaming on the XBO than before, when it's exactly the same. Meanwhile they think they've backed off from TV features, which is the farthest thing from the truth. Gaming hasn't gotten more attention (development dollars), but has gotten more advertising. Non-gaming has gotten more attention (development dollars) from MS for the XBO, but with reduced advertising.

Regards,
SB

So what have they done a 180 on? Always Online (which encompassed some things, like family sharing). Kinect in every box (which includes advertising Kinect enabled games). What else? You can't just claim they did a 180 on everything and then not even cite an example where they've done that.

Region Lock
Indies self publish
No headset
Netflix etc behind a paywall

To use your words, you just think they haven't but they have (made more 180s).

Is no headset a 180 ? They had them with the xbox 360 and people voiced they wanted them with the system. They changed their mind the next day and well before it was launched. Netflix was behind a paid wall for 8 years.

Also aren't they good 180s , other companies have made bad 180s like putting online play behind a pay wall while it was free the generation before. I'd take more of Ms's 180s than the other companies

They are almost all good 180s, but that wasn't the point. They had no focus and were playing catch up and me too for over a year. Now they seem content selling the PS4-lite, which is fine. If they had done it from the original announcement they would be much better off.

All this BS; NFL, TV, Kinect, etc. was them trying to sell something no one wanted. They got the message and realized people wanted a game console, not a $499 Roku with a camera.

The problem was they got the message before launch but were adamant about pushing their product onto the consumer - and now it just comes across as trying to keep in touch with PS4. If they had had a 're-launch' with the product we see today I feel it would have been better acepted, you could have the gamer edition with no kinect and the media edition with kinect.

They are indeed good 180's and I applaud MS for quickly pricing its console where it should be. I was originally against the removal of Kinect as a core part of the machine, but soon realized it was the smart decision. MS's original message and PR was a disaster during the reveal through to launch. The damage was already done, now they need to be aggressive with XB1 in order to even keep up in the English speaking markets. The rest of the world seems lost to MS at this point. They still have a price advantage for now, and if they can retain that for the forseeable future then they still have that factor to help them be competitive.

And while Sony's reversal on free online play may be a sore spot at first, it doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect on PS4. And with my PS+ subscription comes 2 free games a month that I get to keep as long as I subscribe. Sony has made it worth it for me, and it seems millions of other PS+ subscribers. I'm sure there will be a few people out there who won't get PS4 because of that specific 180 on Sony's part, but the mass of people who apparently don't care far outweighs the former. And all this really points to Sony's awesome execution this generation.

They've had blips here and there, but overall it has been near flawless on their part. It's interesting to see how the events have unfolded since the initial reveal of the system when the media and gamers around the world seemingly had fully restored their faith in Sony. MS's early XB1 disasters surely helped PS4, in the end it just greatly contributed to the perfect storm Sony's got going with their platform. Sales have been the best, and who knows what will look like in the future with a price cut. Could be it will come to an abrupt decline, or sales could still balloon up to a point we've yet to see.

A reversal or a 180 is where you say something, then deliver something else. Did Sony ever promise free multiplayer for PS4? If not then it's not a reversal. PS4 is a different product to PS3. The same applies to Microsoft, although they had some clear 180s which were consumer friendly. Did they announce the headset would be free with the console? I don't recall but not it's not a reversal. New product, new decisions.

If people assumed things between last gen and this gen would be the same, that's a bad assumption.

No, they announced no headset would be included. Then they changed their minds after a outcry of complaints and packed one in.

[...] I applaud MS for quickly pricing its console where it should be.

You can still buy day-one special edition bones. If they were supply constrained they'd happily sell bones at $500 with mandatory kinnect. The price drops only make sense if they are sitting on stock because the contracts they planned for chain them to a given production run for the first year/x months. And their stockpile of kinnects must dwarf some former USSR republics' stockpile of AK47s.

Anecdotal, but my uncle was out trying to get a PS4 for his son that had his confirmation this weekend.
And it was basically sold out throughout the 3rd largest city in Norway, after visiting about 6-7 stores he finally got hold of one. The feedback was that the importer is unable to keep up with demand. Even GTA5 was sold out when I checked the store, looks like a lot of 15 year olds got GTA 5 for their confirmation this year.
I was surprised that 1+ year after launch there is still more demand that supply.

And while Sony's reversal on free online play may be a sore spot at first, it doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect on PS4. And with my PS+ subscription comes 2 free games a month that I get to keep as long as I subscribe. Sony has made it worth it for me, and it seems millions of other PS+ subscribers. I'm sure there will be a few people out there who won't get PS4 because of that specific 180 on Sony's part, but the mass of people who apparently don't care far outweighs the former. And all this really points to Sony's awesome execution this generation.

They've had blips here and there, but overall it has been near flawless on their part. It's interesting to see how the events have unfolded since the initial reveal of the system when the media and gamers around the world seemingly had fully restored their faith in Sony. MS's early XB1 disasters surely helped PS4, in the end it just greatly contributed to the perfect storm Sony's got going with their platform. Sales have been the best, and who knows what will look like in the future with a price cut. Could be it will come to an abrupt decline, or sales could still balloon up to a point we've yet to see.

Yeah, I was a bit peeved about the free online going but as I've been a PS+ subber since day one it didn't really affect me. What I am not happy about is that they changed the way the DRM worked as I knew that inside out and having kids it's nice to easily share stuff (when we get more PS4s) rather than having to have an account each. I think the thing with Sony was they just went for the jugular, a console for gamers - 'it plays games and we're not promising much more but will listen to feedback and add stuff if there's enough demand, oh and by the way it's incredibly good value and doesn't have the silly DRM game sharing rubbish MS are talking about'.

To their credit MS made a few changes that I was really surprised about - one live account for the whole console (for me) was a massive improvement and now they are packing in games with gold like PS+ so it is more appealing in that respect. The only issue I currently have is lack of true exclusives (ie ones I can't get on PC) and not being a massive Halo/Forza fan means I can live without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back