Project Cars [PS4, XO]

Should really be keeping the games forum about the gameplay, and tech stuff in the tech forum, but... Anyways.
To be fair, that would hinder gameplay for me. Unless I was already too drunk to notice it ;-)

The effects you can adjust on consoles are (list not complete):

- Post-Processing Filters
- Lens Flare Exterior
- Sun Flare Interior
- Bloom
- Heat Haze
- Globals Specular Irradance Vignette
- Crepuscular Rays
- Screen Dirt

- Wolrd Movement 0 - 100
- G-Force Effects 0 - 100
- Helmet On / OFF
- Helmet Depth Of Field
- Helmet Look to Apex
- Helmet Leaning 0 - 100
- Camera Leaning 0 - 100

The effects you can adjust on PC are (list not complete):

- Same effects of consoles
- motion blur

So imagine I just discovered videogames lately: Why PC gamers get a motion blur toggle and not console gamers?

I really want to understand.

since you can't change graphics setting to improve/lock FPS on consoles, maybe they let the motion blur on to help smoothing framedrops ?

The blending is plain ugly in that shot, although the car appears to have motion blur especially on the front. There's no way I can look at PS4 and XB1 and agree that PS4 has a temporal AA system in place as a benefit. The most obvious explanation is a bug or, god forbid the internet explodes, an inferior renderer for whatever reason.

Any blur you see on the car is caused by the "ghosting". When it's small enough, it looks like a blur apparently. I'm basing this because the programmer said they are leaving cars out of the motion blur shader.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162346699&postcount=8514
Pretty sure this is just Motion-Blur, because the vehicles are excluded from that system and don't get the 'ghosting'. I just looked at one of the VVV videos and you can see the 'ghost' (as you call it) offset is proportional to the vehicle speed when pausing the video at various points. In motion this translates to variable "length" blur depending on how fast you are travelling, which is pretty standard for a post style MB system like the one used on Project Cars. In the case of that GIF - looking sideways the blur system would be producing very large offsets for each frame and the result looks like one I'd expect from this sort of MB shader.

It's also worth noting this was early in the timeline and he was "pretty sure" the ghosting was because of the motion blur! I then showed examples of ghosting on cars. It later turned out to be the AA. Given the info at hand, I thought the game didn't apply any motion blur on PS4. It turns out they do, but with absurdly reduced velocity setting.

Last edited:
Any blur you see on the car is caused by the "ghosting". When it's small enough, it looks like a blur apparently. I'm basing this because the programmer said they are leaving cars out of the motion blur shader.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162346699&postcount=8514

It's also worth noting this was early in the timeline and he was "pretty sure" the ghosting was because of the motion blur! It later turned out to be the AA. Given the info at hand, I thought the game didn't apply any motion blur on PS4. It turns out they do, but with absurdly reduces velocity setting.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=162942565

More explanation about motion blur and temporal AA. I hope they will patch and add slider soon. A friend with PS4 version tells me the ghosting is a bit visible and it is annoying.

The guy on GAF is from the DX11 and Xbox One team. He probably go to office and ask some help from PS4 team to explain the phenomenon.

Eek. Just watched a gamersyde video of the PS4 version. That's "temporal AA?" In terms of pixel cleanliness it makes Halo Reach look like Ridge Racer 7. And given that the image is constantly moving with no reprojection, it seems like all it'll do to suppress aliases is suppressing detail in general. Might as well apply a small-kernel blur filter, it would have similar effectiveness and far less artifacting.

They are also surprisingly good at finding little details that might go unnoticeable for 90% of the people. !

Maybe those Project Cars devs (and some players) are using 120hz monitors and therefore masking their "temporal AA crap" side effect to 120hz monitor induced doublevision...

Started this game on PC, and so far I'm not sure yet what to think. It doesn't feel that great to me just yet. The karting was pretty ok, but just driving a BMW on the Nurburgring feels way to floaty, as if it has the suspension of a Mercedes B series that makes it feel as if you just float above the road. Will test some more.

AMD need better drivers. *cough*
AMD cards drag when they run this game for some reason. I read that the game uses Nvidia Gameworks and certain effects used by closed libraries which AMD can not optimize for cause the framerate to crawl.
I recommend the race department setup guide (900k)

I quite liked the photo at the end of the document. I saved it to my HD because it will in handy for racing games if you want to get serious about setups. Thanks for sharing! (a worth read)

Started this game on PC, and so far I'm not sure yet what to think. It doesn't feel that great to me just yet. The karting was pretty ok, but just driving a BMW on the Nurburgring feels way to floaty, as if it has the suspension of a Mercedes B series that makes it feel as if you just float above the road. Will test some more.
Did you see an option to play using the Occulus Rift? The game is going to offer Morpheus support, so I am curious about that.

Your card is going to run it at a greater framerate than like 95% of PC GPUs, but I wonder if the framerate is satisfying. Impressions are cool.

Last edited:
AMD cards drag when they run this game for some reason. I read that the game uses Nvidia Gameworks and certain effects used by closed libraries which AMD can not optimize for cause the framerate to crawl.

Seems odd bearing in mind PC/Xbox renderer was done by the same person from what I understand.

Things got a bit better simply by amplifying the wheel feedback (I set it to max). But something feels weird about the cars, especially the braking, gliding sideways ...

Also, the suspension doesn't seem to be that well communicated in the force feedback, especially the lower kind. It's like there is some kind of drop-off - often I can only hear the curbs, but not feel them. Not sure yet what setting would fix that.

And yes, there is Oculus Rift support.

Last edited:
Yes, I think my major problem with the game right now is not feeling but only hearing the curbs. Something isn't right in the way the suspension is communicated, but the modelling seems to be there. I hope they continue to work on this, as it is definitely promising. It's a very nice package, good looking, loads of settings, etc.

Back