The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

When I saw Avengers Age of Ultron last month, there was a huge Xbox / Witcher 3 ad. If you didn't know better, you could assume it was an Xbox only game.

And developers and publishers surely must have an incentive to show the game at it's best. To be fair to CDPR their PCs have been equipped with 980s but not some crazy water-cooled overclocked SLI setup. For consoles, they may want the slightly sharper 1080p visuals of the PS4.

I think if the Xbox One version was scaled back, like the lack of vegetation in GTA V for example, I think those few who'd played the Xbox One version (and who must have seen tons of PC footage to notice a lack of vegetation) would have commented on this by now. As far as I'm concerned no news is goods news.

I like the logic. I supposed they are trying to refine as much as possible. But there really is only 13 days left until launch. That's not enough time to certify much of anything - but perhaps we will see something soon. Those review copies did go out already so I suppose no news is good news, but it could just be review embargoes as well.

Directfeed look at the PS4 version [all is great]
This looks beautiful :yes:

There is some very noticeable vegetation pop in on the Polish (?) video when Gerald is riding along the path at the start - which really stood out because of the vegetation's shadows popping in, but the density of the vegetation in the forest is awesome and the draw distance is crazy good.

I optimistically hoped the PS4 would hold up to what's been shown running on PC and this is actually better than I expected. So psyched for this game now; the world looks crazy atmospheric and they seem to have equalled Rockstar's whether system where the weather and time of day can create amazing skies with colour tones that completely change the feel of the world - something I've never seen done well outside of GTA games.

I like the logic. I supposed they are trying to refine as much as possible. But there really is only 13 days left until launch. That's not enough time to certify much of anything - but perhaps we will see something soon. Those review copies did go out already so I suppose no news is good news, but it could just be review embargoes as well.

13 Days from now but most of the video that is now being released is from March when CDPR hosted a number of review sites and bloggers and even then it was widely reported that build was old. It would be nice to see the Xbox One version but we're not had any recent games with drastically different visuals between PS4 and Xbox One so I don't expect it to look markedly different to PS4. But I'm sure prospective buyers of the Xbox One version want to see it, it's only natural.

EDIT: seem to have duplicated my own post. D'oh. Now fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, looks almost like the PC version maxed out bar Hair works. Them YT compression tho, but I can imagine how sharp it would look on my TV in full 1080p glory.
Agreed. From my experience I want to point out that all the TVs should be mandatory 1080p and allow for 1:1 pixel scan. That makes a huge difference, even if the game is say 900p and upscaled internally in your console.

After having a TV like that for a year and a half now, and having played Xbox One games on my gf's HD Ready HDTV and my old HD Ready HDTV, both from 2007, the colours are wrong on those, the dowscaling and having to fit the window using options in Diablo 3 and some other games, make the experience really meh. I went as far as bringing my TV along with me to my gf's home.

If you can deal with the ropey quality of the recorded Twitch stream provided by CDPR yesterday, Eurogamer have an embedded video totalling around 90 minutes which is part dev demonstration of the combat system, part dev Q&A and part (I've not reached it yet) 45 minutes of spoiler-free gameplay. The devs are going into quite a lot of detail of the nuances of the different forms of combat and how to combine them and fight like a Witcher rather than a refugee from an Assassin's Creed game.

I keep reading GAF folks worrying about the combat, which I gather is a common criticism of the previous games, but it looks pretty varied and versatile to me.

If you can deal with the ropey quality of the recorded Twitch stream provided by CDPR yesterday, Eurogamer have an embedded video totalling around 90 minutes which is part dev demonstration of the combat system, part dev Q&A and part (I've not reached it yet) 45 minutes of spoiler-free gameplay. The devs are going into quite a lot of detail of the nuances of the different forms of combat and how to combine them and fight like a Witcher rather than a refugee from an Assassin's Creed game.

I keep reading GAF folks worrying about the combat, which I gather is a common criticism of the previous games, but it looks pretty varied and versatile to me.
you're buying it right? man, this is killing me inside lol.

I think that his dodge move covers a lot of distance to be precise. It's just a gut feeling right now, (of course, I haven't played the game) but it seems to me that from gameplay videos, you can't tell exactly where he'll land after dodging out of the way.
Tbh, I've seen one gameplay video where I thought the player was actively choosing his targets and dodging the right times, but most of the time combat feels somewhat random.
It could be that most people I've seen playing are just button mashers...

Edit:
From your gameplay vid, I just learned there are two dodges, a short and a long!

Last edited:
you're buying it right? man, this is killing me inside lol.
Oh yeah. I pre-ordered it from Amazon because I expected the game to be 40-50Gb, when I found it was only 31Gb I cancelled my Amazon pre-order and pre-ordered on PSN as a digital download. Now GAF is saying that all physical copies come with a manual (remember those?), a map and the soundtrack on audio CD so I'm thinking of changing back to a physical copy.

A month ago I couldn't care less about this game, now.. :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

18mb GIF from PS4 gameplay, borrowed from GAF. I can going to kill every bad this in thing forest :yep2:

I love the way it's so dense, very little light penetrates.

6Z4v4T9.gif

I think they'll be more than a few forests with distinct looks. Different environments will have different trees and plants and those combined with different topography should give a nice variation.

That forest in the video looks nothing like a previous forest I've seen which was much more open. This new one is dense and quite claustrophobic.

I wonder if the Geralt will be able to enter hostile woods that are home to Dryads... Those woods in the books were always described to be so dark.

I wonder if the Geralt will be able to enter hostile woods that are home to Dryads... Those woods in the books were always described to be so dark.

Brokilon?
I think one of the screens showed a Dryad. So, I am guessing , yes.....and that is what gets me all dizzy, seeing everything I have been reading about and feeling dissappointed cos it does not look as amazing as it felt in my imagination because its a videogame :runaway: !!!! For example, Kaer Morhen in my imagination is too dilapidated, dark, too dark and dingy to be anything like anything shown in this version of the game and I know it just won't be the same as reading about it Geralt went there with Ciri for the first time. That moment is imprinted in my mind.

You know, one shouldn't read good books, it kills all possibility of being impressed by a visual medium later :yep2:

You know, one shouldn't read good books, it kills all possibility of being impressed by a visual medium later :yep2:
Books should be banned. They're like, totes evil tools that are dead set on making reality as bland and banal as the British political system. :yep2:. What chance does a piece of digital entertainment have against something that insidious!!?

This looks beautiful :yes:

There is some very noticeable vegetation pop in on the Polish (?) video when Gerald is riding along the path at the start - which really stood out because of the vegetation's shadows popping in, but the density of the vegetation in the forest is awesome and the draw distance is crazy good.

I optimistically hoped the PS4 would hold up to what's been shown running on PC and this is actually better than I expected. So psyched for this game now; the world looks crazy atmospheric and they seem to have equalled Rockstar's whether system where the weather and time of day can create amazing skies with colour tones that completely change the feel of the world - something I've never seen done well outside of GTA games.

Well PC version has pop up as well.

BTW it seems to me that the camera system is better/more fluid on PS4, the transition between different locked-on targets in combat looks more fluid than on PC
Also objects here disappear to show the action more clearly during combat, that's a nice feature that I didn't note in the previous PC footage...I wish Bloodbore had that too because so many times I died because I didn't see my character as it was hidden by the scenery.
The radial menu to access signs/spells breaks the flow of the combat IMO, poor game design, they should have opted for quick combination of buttons to access signs/spells.

Last edited:
Tbh, I've seen one gameplay video where I thought the player was actively choosing his targets and dodging the right times, but most of the time combat feels somewhat random. It could be that most people I've seen playing are just button mashers...

Edit: From your gameplay vid, I just learned there are two dodges, a short and a long!
I really wish the video was of better quality, particularly the audio, but it's good it explained something - and yeah, I agree it looked a bit random. I think a lot of folks are trying to analyse the combat solely from the preview event videos captured in March but the combat looks a lot more nuanced and I like the different options the skill trees give.

Well PC version has pop up as well.
Yes, there is pop in on PC as well. To be fair, the first pop in really jumped out at me but I didn't noticed much more for the remainder of the vids. Maybe I've just become conditioned to games where grass fades in only when you get close. Definitely trivial.

Also objects here disappear to show the action more clearly during combat, that's a nice feature that I didn't note in the previous PC footage... I wish Bloodbore had that too because so many times I died because I didn't see my character as it was hidden by the scenery.

You mean the tree that vanishes as Gerald begins walking through the forest? I've seen that a bunch on the PC version. It looked quite jarring at first but, as you say, it is much preferable than having the camera obscured by scenery and I doubt I'd notice it during gameplay.

The radial menu to access signs/spells breaks the flow of the combat IMO, poor game design, they should have opted for quick combination of buttons to access signs/spells.
I hope they support quick switching using the DualShock 4 trackpad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back