Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
News: Aero Glass returns in the new Windows 10 build.
Whoah! Aero glass, w00t! However:

Microsoft said:
50% of you will normal transparency on the Start menu and taskbar while the other 50% will see a blur effect on the Start menu and taskbar (like frosted glass). If Windows Insiders really like the blur effect, we will add it to more areas and even consider making it the default instead of standard transparency. Which one did you get? Send us feedback about it via the Windows Feedback app!
Jesus fuckdammit, don't design by committee! Just put the settings in there, and let people turn on and off as they themselves desire!

I hate minimalistic GUIs. The reason why im using firefox is because i can still enable the old GUI. I have to use add ons now (classic theme restorer) and unpin a couple of dumb GUI elements (like that hamburger button) but at least it works. I can live without those few extra pixels on my big monitor if it means a superior user experience.

Edge looks like chrome to me (everything does nowadays). Tabs on top (in title bar no less), no menu, no status bar, extremely basic settings etc.

I think it's an efficient use of space to start using the titlebar more efficiently. However, I don't like it when UIs are vastly different across applications - some kind of shared visual language really improves the experience for non-power users in particular. I don't hate the Edge layout in that respect (have to test it myself though), but it would help if this was a common thing for Windows 10 Applications in the future. I think I'll see if I can install this on older Windows 7 machine I have (with one of the earlier quad-cores).

I'd say the odds of them using the metro API exclusively is about -infinity%.
Metro is gone, I think. It has been replaced by Continuum, which is a logical step. I didn't like Metro because of the lack of multitasking, it was one app at a time, and I find that repressing, since I am used to move the cursor around, jumping from one program to another in a jiffy, and with Metro none of that was useful for me, so I never got it.
I hate minimalistic GUIs. The reason why im using firefox is because i can still enable the old GUI. I have to use add ons now (classic theme restorer) and unpin a couple of dumb GUI elements (like that hamburger button) but at least it works. I can live without those few extra pixels on my big monitor if it means a superior user experience.

Edge looks like chrome to me (everything does nowadays). Tabs on top (in title bar no less), no menu, no status bar, extremely basic settings etc.
Well, IE11 for instance, is kind of minimalistic too, so I'd expect the same from Edge. Opera is, Firefox is, Chrome...

Last edited:
Jesus fuckdammit, don't design by committee! Just put the settings in there, and let people turn on and off as they themselves desire!
Isn't that exactly what they're doing?
They are doing a test now, which will decide which one will be the default setting (and how widely the effect will be spread around windows)

Isn't that exactly what they're doing?
They're obviously asking for feedback when they could just put the choices for frosty, transparent or none in there and leave it at that. Don't get me wrong; I'm (super) happy they're adding some bling back to the UI after years of windows 8 utter drabness, but designing by committee isn't a good idea. You're getting just a small sample to begin with, and what feedback you do get could easily be tainted by organized campaigns with a particular agenda to skew the voting one way or another.

I agree completely.

[BigAssRant]
Any program that is stupid enough to put tabs in the title bar (I'm looking at you Chrome and Edge) are absolutely mindfuckingly HORRIBLE, IMO.

It is the most infuriating thing I can think of if you need to regularly use multiple windows, with multiple tabs (which end up filling the entire FUCKING title bar), and need to frequently maximize then move and re-position those windows.

Being able to easily grab onto the title bar to simultaneously restore window size (from maximized) and move the window is a freaking godsend. Not being able to do that just shows the idiotic, again IMO, UI designers that have absolutely no clue how to get work done.

And don't even get me started on the removal of the absolutely incredible search box from IE 8 (with multiple user configurable search options). You can kind of replicate the functionality in IE 11's address bar, but it is clunky at best, and not even remotely as useable.

I could go on and on about how browsers in general have regressed immensely in useability with the whole F(&()*&)&*ing minimalist design for dumb ass tablet users (hyperbole, as I know not all tablet users are lazy dumbasses).
[/BigAssRant]

Apologies for the foul language, but OMG, this pisses me off so freaking much.

I could live with the option of having the tabs in the title bar or not. But to not even have that option and forcing everyone to use that horrible UI design is just incredibly boneheaded (I so wanted to use stronger profanity laced words for that).

Regards,
SB

Metro is gone, I think. It has been replaced by Continuum, which is a logical step. I didn't like Metro because of the lack of multitasking, it was one app at a time, and I find that repressing, since I am used to move the cursor around, jumping from one program to another in a jiffy, and with Metro none of that was useful for me, so I never got it.
I wouldn't really label is as non-multitasking. It was designed for touch and worked well with that in mind. I ran multiple metro apps just fine and switched between them as fast or even faster than on my desktop with a quick swipe of the finger.

I wouldn't really label is as non-multitasking. It was designed for touch and worked well with that in mind. I ran multiple metro apps just fine and switched between them as fast or even faster than on my desktop with a quick swipe of the finger.

I'm thinking he probably meant multi-window. As Metro was limited to just 2 apps displayed simultaneously. But yes, switching between apps was super fast and smooth in Metro.

Regards,
SB

It's still work in progress, I guess that's why it's still called "Insider Preview".

The OS is pretty stable, but Spartan == Microsoft Edge crashes regularily and overall is far from being complete, with most of its quite minimalistic UI still missing.
The user interface is still being refined, with Control Panel applets being converted to PC Settings app, and new Universal Apps replacing old system utilities.
WDDM 2.0 drivers are at alpha stage, so don't expect your games to perform good or even run at all.
Also, build updates take about 40 minutes to complete, because they're backing everything up in Windows.old on each run.

So if your only needs are Internet browsing, install Chrome and then it's OK for everyday use. For everything else, stick with your current OS.
If you still decide to try it, always install preview builds in a separate partition, do not overwrite your working OS.

I find all games run better on 10 than 8.1 with the standard 8.1 driver (GTA 4 for example would average 5 to 6 FPS more), I have recently installed the beta nvidia driver for Windows 10, but I'm currently playing through Lego Star Wars so am in no position to make comment on the drivers performance.

It's still work in progress, I guess that's why it's still called "Insider Preview".

The OS is pretty stable, but Spartan == Microsoft Edge crashes regularily and overall is far from being complete, with most of its quite minimalistic UI still missing.
The user interface is still being refined, with Control Panel applets being converted to PC Settings app, and new Universal Apps replacing old system utilities.
WDDM 2.0 drivers are at alpha stage, so don't expect your games to perform good or even run at all.
Also, build updates take about 40 minutes to complete, because they're backing everything up in Windows.old on each run.

So if your only needs are Internet browsing, install Chrome and then it's OK for everyday use. For everything else, stick with your current OS.
If you still decide to try it, always install preview builds in a separate partition, do not overwrite your working OS.
Ok thanks alot for the answer.

I find all games run better on 10 than 8.1 with the standard 8.1 driver
Installing WDDM 1.3 drivers for Window 8.1 will disable Direct3D 12, which is one of the main reasons to use the Windows 10 preview - even though as of now the choice of Direct3D 12 applications is limited to 3DMark API Overhead feature test and your own code that you can program with Visual Studio Community 2015 RC.

Unfortunately the latest build 10074 somehow broke Direct3D 12 on my Radeon R9 290X, probably need to wait for updated WDDM 2.0 driver from AMD...

I just installed it on an old machine we had lying around waiting to see if updating from Windows 7 to 8 or 10 would revive it a little (and may try something with an SSD later). Installed ok, though lost a bit of time as I forgot that the USB drive doesn't go above 4GB and so my 16GB stick was a no-go for installing, so had to burn a disc (but that worked right away, was a long time I burnt one of those ha ha).

It's clearly still in development, as all sorts of strange display bugs happen during my Visual Studio installation, but overall it seems a nice evolution from 8.1. I'm surprised by some of the things, like redesigned icons here and there that I'm not sure are a big improvement, and Project Spartan (it's still called that here) seems promising but is still quite early - beyond3d forums didn't load at all, but my www.techingames.net site loaded surprisingly fast, and memory overhead seems low for Spartan. It was offered to me as the default browser right away, by the way.

Installing WDDM 1.3 drivers for Window 8.1 will disable Direct3D 12, which is one of the main reasons to use the Windows 10 preview - even though as of now the choice of Direct3D 12 applications is limited to 3DMark API Overhead feature test and your own code that you can program with Visual Studio Community 2015 RC.

Unfortunately the latest build 10074 somehow broke Direct3D 12 on my Radeon R9 290X, probably need to wait for updated WDDM 2.0 driver from AMD...
The latest drivers from AMD for 290 are a disaster. I had to roll back to 14.12 Omega drivers in order to avoid a number of problems. I've been providing feedback on it to AMD and hopefully they'll improve the next set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back