PVR, WMC, CableCard discussions (Windows Media Center patched for Win10, CableCard replacements)

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
why in gods name don't they just use media center. MS has the tech why all these half ass measures. you can't even record on the xbox

Sorry bud, but it looks like it's dead and buried...

Windows Media Center is dead.

In a private meeting this week at the Build developers' conference in San Francisco, a Microsoft executive confirmed to me that there will be no update to the company's Media Center software for Windows 10.

The decision is a disappointment to the small but incredibly vocal army of Media Center enthusiasts, who had held out hope that a Windows 10 Media Center add-on, similar to the one offered for Windows 8, might appear at the last minute.

That's not happening. Any PC that is upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 will lose the Media Center functionality, and there's no way to get it back.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

Tommy McClain

I don't know why people continue to be surprised that WMC is dead. It hasn't had any major work done on it since 2008. The WMC team was also basically disbanded around that time. Some work was done to make the UI more compatible for Win7. Then due to public outcry, some work was made to make it work with Win8.

I love the program. I love the platform. I wish they wouldn't kill it. But it's dead (just like WHS.../cry). And it's basically been dead for a long time. The corpse just just lingered on. Let it go (queue them from Frozen. :p).

Regards,
SB

The trouble is there is no suitable replacement for WMC Cable Card DVR functionality. The only hope now is SiliconDust kickstarter bears fruit and their software is able to work with Ceton tuners too.

Its not that we didnt know WMC wasn't receiving updates, we just hoped it would continue to function in Win10. Heck, they don't need to include the front end for it, just the backend tuning, recording and streaming aspects.

WMC is the proverbial Weekend at Bernies!

The trouble is there is no suitable replacement for WMC Cable Card DVR functionality. The only hope now is SiliconDust kickstarter bears fruit and their software is able to work with Ceton tuners too.

Its not that we didnt know WMC wasn't receiving updates, we just hoped it would continue to function in Win10. Heck, they don't need to include the front end for it, just the backend tuning, recording and streaming aspects.

I feel you man. I'm keeping a Windows 8.1 machine just for WMC myself.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: Jwm

Vidipath is going to obsolete CableCard in the near future and the Modern UI works pretty well as a 10' UI (Just need to get the green button to activate it and allow for remote control navigation). WMC is seemingly running out of reasons to exist.

Vidipath is going to obsolete CableCard in the near future and the Modern UI works pretty well as a 10' UI (Just need to get the green button to activate it and allow for remote control navigation). WMC is seemingly running out of reasons to exist.

Its been at least 10 years that I've been hearing about CableCard's demise, so until it actually happens I'll put this Vidipath right up there with TwoWay Cards and IPTV and all the other items that were to kill cable cards like SDV and happily enjoy the working solution of CableCard. Thank you very much.

Its been at least 10 years that I've been hearing about CableCard's demise, so until it actually happens I'll put this Vidipath right up there with TwoWay Cards and IPTV and all the other items that were to kill cable cards like SDV and happily enjoy the working solution of CableCard. Thank you very much.

There's an active device certification program (announced on Sep 11, 2014). CableLabs, the R&D arm of the Cable TV industry, is directly involved and actively promoting it. End to end implementations (Service provider to playback device) have been demonstrated at multiple trade shows and there will be another in a couple of weeks.

This is happening.

There's an active device certification program (announced on Sep 11, 2014). CableLabs, the R&D arm of the Cable TV industry, is directly involved and actively promoting it. End to end implementations (Service provider to playback device) have been demonstrated at multiple trade shows and there will be another in a couple of weeks.

This is happening.

Smells exactly like AllVid project they started in 2010 that has gone absolutely nowhere in the 5 years since. All the CableLabs projects of the past have had multiple trade shows and demonstrations and certifications. Where are they now, nowhere!

Dont mind my scepticism, this Cablelabs and industry groups have done jack all over the past decade. They only ever managed to get CableCard 2.0 specs refined. Everything else has been lip service and failures with dog and pony shows.

Smells exactly like AllVid project they started in 2010 that has gone absolutely nowhere in the 5 years since. All the CableLabs projects of the past have had multiple trade shows and demonstrations and certifications. Where are they now, nowhere!

Dont mind my scepticism, this Cablelabs and industry groups have done jack all over the past decade. They only ever managed to get CableCard 2.0 specs refined. Everything else has been lip service and failures with dog and pony shows.

I understand the skepticism. I do think, though, that the new ways people are consuming media is considered to be a genuine threat by the cable industry and that Vidipath has become something they feel is necessary and in their interest to develop as opposed to something that is being forced on them by government regulations that they will do the bare minimum to comply with.

I really hope that's the situation; that the past decade of trends has finally hit the media execs hard enough for them to realize that people want to consume their products how they want.

I'd really like for VidiPath to be the answer going forward. I keep having the same dream, where I can run 1 device to integrate Live TV media and Movie content, with On Demand Content, with my home media content, all with the ability to time-shift and place-shift. It would be desirable to not have to deal with a dozen different interfaces to do it too.

Didn't MS say the same thing for W8? I'm sure this is probably all true but saying there will be no update doesn't mean it won't exist. W8 WMC had no update from the W7 version.

@Malo Right but from what's being reported by users, the latest Win10 Upgrade wizard/advisor actually requires you to uninstall Windows Media Center before you can upgrade.

Source: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89173#p89173

rgaZx1u.jpg

W8 WMC had no update from the W7 version.

That's not entirely true. The build numbers for Win 8.1 WMC are different, so it was at least rebuilt and recompiled. It also has additional 2 foot CC (Closed Captioning) controls found in Win 8.1 WMC that do not exist in the Win7 WMC.

The real thing that upsets me is with xbox one they have everything they need to move forward with a unified media center.

I know media center will run fine on an xbox one. I'm running it on a 1.6ghz brazos with 4 gigs of ram on windows 7. They have usb hardrive support , so the 500 gigs in the xbox one wouldn't be an issue , the system supports gigabit Ethernet and wireless n so bandwidth wouldn't be bad. They also have a tuning adapter.

They could also skin media center with the xbox one guide. Intergrate extender service to xbox video and windows video on both mobile and traditional platforms. Boom killer app live tv from your xbox to all your windows devices.

Which is what everyone thought they'd be doing in the initial hype of Xbox one and TV. Microsoft don't seem very together on their focuses.

They killed Windows Home Server too. You don't want to build a stash of offline files from DVD, BR, TV recordings (and piracy) : you want to do things "in the cloud", "on-demand", in an app store/windows store/market place, with Metro apps and with a Microsoft account. Trust them and stop believe you want to do things in other, outdated ways.
And oh, if you use a file manager then you're a terrorist. The file manager is provided as a facility to migrate your legacy Word documents. After the year 2020, Win32 applications will be made illegal. To help assist with the transition you will be able to report your friends and family members to Microsoft, which will get in touch with the relevant local authorities.

@Malo Right but from what's being reported by users, the latest Win10 Upgrade wizard/advisor actually requires you to uninstall Windows Media Center before you can upgrade.

Source: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89173#p89173

rgaZx1u.jpg

That's not entirely true. The build numbers for Win 8.1 WMC are different, so it was at least rebuilt and recompiled. It also has additional 2 foot CC (Closed Captioning) controls found in Win 8.1 WMC that do not exist in the Win7 WMC.
Yes, the dead of Media Center has been confirmed already.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

At the risk of making this sound like a deja vu, the Media Center is dead. But the article states the following:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/3319/confirmed-media-center-is-dead

Of course, many Media Center fans actually use the product to record and watch TV shows via Media Center PCs in the living room. Microsoft’s solution for this need will apparently be the Xbox One, though the console currently only provides live TV watching, but not recording. My sources tell me that will change, and most probably this year, to include TV recording.

And unless xbox one can record at least 6 cable-card streams at once it is no media center replacement.

Back