Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the facial animation while crying still just look wrong and bad.

On the other hand, give similar computing resources to a good western developer and the results would look imo substantially better.
I believe the reason why it looks wrong is because her facial anatomy is too perfect. It almost looks like a combination between a real face and an anime face. Another is the fact that it is a female model. Getting a female face to convey realism and believability is for some peculiar reason harder than with male faces. We discussed this before. It is harder to get facial expressions to look perfect for these reasons. I also dont think the aim of the demo was to convey higher quality of expressions achieved by this technology compared to the last. But rather the level of detail

I think the problem is that boys don't get girls full stop. So you see a girl's facial expression and you're like, wtf is she thinking? This is carried over to CGI faces too.

Ok we're in controversial statements territory here. First with the western developers being better, to girls' faces.

TLOU made me sad, Sorcerer made me laugh. They both did their job well. :)
Actually, true - I did laugh at the sorcerer! :yes: But I laughed all the way through Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle that's basically pixel art.

I think the problem is that boys don't get girls full stop. So you see a girl's facial expression and you're like, wtf is she thinking? This is carried over to CGI faces too.

Ok we're in controversial statements territory here. First with the western developers being better, to girls' faces.

There is a fairly big difference between how most Asian people perceive emotion and how most Western people do though, I recall that was a hot topic a few years ago, and research tracking focus showed that Asian people mostly just look at eyes, where Westerners tend to watch the whole face.

Luminous engine demo almost feels like it shows how the developers are continuing to focus more on the West than anything else, but also that they still have a little ways to go. Technically I wasn't that impressed.

W3 shot from Xbone version.

efn46PG.jpg

I really like how this ring mail armor and leather looks on Geralt, really natural feel of materials.

What i find interesting I guess with regards to the above picture is how different cinema materials look compared to how they are drawn. For instance comparing the gear from LOTR movies or from game of thrones.

Only thing that needs major improvements is the hair that still for the most part looks really fake when it is short or long hair except when its very short or shaved clean.

We either need to simulate thousands upon thousands upon thousands of hair strain or have very/extremely high resolution textures for hair to mimic it or have mix of both depending on hair style.

Dreadlocks should be rather simple... :LOL:

Human models look vastly improved from KZ SF, I guess the improved lighting, much higher polycount and better shaders contributed most.

Human models look vastly improved from KZ SF, I guess the improved lighting, much higher polycount and better shaders contributed most.

Different type of a game, different priorities. Plus, KZSF was released long time ago as a launch game. Supermassie /GG had a lot of time to upgrade their engine.

Evolution of their scan and blendshape based system . Remember how I've told you that it has great potential for nextgen and will probably look good in H5? :)

I'm kind of bothered that they're still doing the neck thing. It's understandable why, but Halo 4's Spartans always had this really uncanny floating head look. The faces are higher-fidelity, but the overall person still looks just as horrifying, perhaps even more so.

I feel like they'll turn into lost souls like that lady in Doom 3 at any moment.

Is that meant for in-game or are they gonna start pre-rendering in-engine or... wha?

TressFX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back