Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
2W TDP is too hot for a Nintendo portable.
AMD makes a lot of embedded CPUs. (for samsung for example) They are also making a mobile GPU for mediatek.

So it seems that NIntendo could really be pumping millions (hundreds...) into an (unproven) custom solution that will maintain hardware compatibility with both antiquated and exotic architectures, most likely with performances target set pretty low. My take it will be outperformed at launch by 5$ (may be slightly less...) Chinese SOC of the time. :facepalm: they will never learn...

Last edited:
So it seems that NIntendo could really be pumping millions (hundreds...) into an (unproven) custom solution that will maintain hardware compatibility with both antiquated and exotic architectures, most likely with performances target set pretty low. My take it will be outperformed at launch by 5$ (may be slightly less...) Chinese SOC of the time. :facepalm: they will never learn...
3DS has DSi and GBA CPUs.

3DS has necessary hardware in its self for compatibility with DS/DSi software which in turn is compatible with GBA software and because Nintendo does opposite of what you would have done then that must mean that they never learn because they choose to be rational when comes to design and cost of chip and then what kind of failure rates it would have had when manufactured, it isn't rational to have high failure rates in production of a chip except... wait for it... You're the IBM with very large high performance chip they produce at a high cost and high failure rate/low success rate of fully working chips.

Even if Nintendo went to make a highest performing chip on the market, it would have been outmatched in a half year and by a year and a half to two you could get same kind of performance at a considerably lower cost and power envelope.

A decade or two ago you could do that though look at Game Gear or Nomad from Sega, most powerful yet had a lot of drawbacks for consumers.

M8 Greyhound operators with enough experience and skills with the vehicle can disable a Tiger/Panther.

3DS has necessary hardware in its self for compatibility with DS/DSi software which in turn is compatible with GBA software and because Nintendo does opposite of what you would have done then that must mean that they never learn because they choose to be rational when comes to design and cost of chip and then what kind of failure rates it would have had when manufactured, it isn't rational to have high failure rates in production of a chip except... wait for it... You're the IBM with very large high performance chip they produce at a high cost and high failure rate/low success rate of fully working chips.
How you connect BC and failure rate is beyond me.
Even if Nintendo went to make a highest performing chip on the market, it would have been outmatched in a half year and by a year and a half to two you could get same kind of performance at a considerably lower cost and power envelope.
Good luck finding me stating anything close to Nintendo trying to have high end performances with their upcoming system.
A decade or two ago you could do that though look at Game Gear or Nomad from Sega, most powerful yet had a lot of drawbacks for consumers.
Sega is sega and had its own set of issues.
M8 Greyhound operators with enough experience and skills with the vehicle can disable a Tiger/Panther.
Not exactely relevant to Ninty hardware choices.[/quote]

Last edited:
How you connect BC and failure rate is beyond me.
I never said anything like that what you claim I have apparently said as I was addressing about you ignoring the cost and failure rates that would have been if Nintendo pursued cutting edge which would be high in both like any other cutting edge system in the past such as Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 initially.

Good luck finding me stating anything close to Nintendo trying to have high end performances with their upcoming system.
Read again as I wasn't saying what you claim that I said that you stated that what you claim that I claimed that you said that.

Sega is sega and had its own set of issues.
It isn't about Sega's own issues at the time, it was about how Sega went the way you want Nintendo go when you complained about Nintendo not pursuing high/highest performance possible and that it would have been beaten by a 5$ or less Chinese SoC which means you were talking about handhelds and thus I used Game Gear and Nomad as example.

Not exactely relevant to Ninty hardware choices.
It is, though only to you it isn't as you apparently ignore cost to produce a chip based on specifications that involves amount of silicon and type of silicon and fabrication also technological limitations that are needed to be accounted and factored in be it now or couple years later.

You have to take into account that every chip that would have failed to work is a cost.

Imagine having an order of lets say 100 chips and 50 chips fail in a single wafer of 100 chips, you have a cost of 100 chips with only 50 chips working thus you need another 100 chips produced to get another 50 chips working and again 50 chips that don't work.

What Nintendo need to do is this. And because it makes sense to do it I don't expect it to happen...but anyway. What Nintendo should do is provide a new base console at least on par with the xbox one with a wii u pro controller type pad, and allow you to tether the wii u tablet to it for off-screen play, and make it an optional accesory for the NX.

If you're listening Nintendo. As an apathetic Wii U owner something like that would be bring me back into the fold.

Would a Wii U hardware at 28nm (or 16nm) be doable in a tablet sized device, I am talking about heat, power consumption etc?

Would a Wii U hardware at 28nm (or 16nm) be doable in a tablet sized device, I am talking about heat, power consumption etc?

Not at 28. You're still talking about a 35W console. Sure you can drop the optical drive, it would save you ~5 watts? But you'd still be in the ~15-20W range. You're not going to get perfect power scaling either.

My guess is at 14nm, if everything was integrated onto one chip and they switched to LPDDR4, you'd be in the 10W range, so probably doable then.

You have to take into account that every chip that would have failed to work is a cost.

Imagine having an order of lets say 100 chips and 50 chips fail in a single wafer of 100 chips, you have a cost of 100 chips with only 50 chips working thus you need another 100 chips produced to get another 50 chips working and again 50 chips that don't work.
I do not forget that, that is called yields by the way. The numbers of good chips you get per wafer (a round sliced of silicon) depends on various things, size is a factor. Now for reasonable chip on a mature process and for the type of specs I would wish Nintendo to go for I feel safe to assume that yields would not be troublesome, the contrary actually.

Not at 28. You're still talking about a 35W console. Sure you can drop the optical drive, it would save you ~5 watts? But you'd still be in the ~15-20W range. You're not going to get perfect power scaling either.

My guess is at 14nm, if everything was integrated onto one chip and they switched to LPDDR4, you'd be in the 10W range, so probably doable then.

mm... for a tablet I suppose, but maybe not the tablet folks are thinking? i.e. WiiU tablet. Size/weight/battery life.

The more I think about this, the more I see the NX as a Nintendo Tablet featuring a whole Wii U hardware being the solution of all their problems and a logical continuation of their business :

- Cheap to license, they own most of the tech (notably CPU) almost since the previous millennium. :yep2:
- 100% hardware compatibility with Wii U, Wii (and potentially even with gamecube!!)
- 100% compatible with the Wii U gamepad
- Decent specs for a tablet, if not they could even add a few cores to the CPU like they already did it in Wii U from Wii
- Tens of genuine and compelling 'Seal of Quality' Nintendo games available : Mario Kart 8, Mario Party, Mario 3D World, smash bros, Zelda, Pikmin, Xenoblade, etc. games from Wii and Wii U available to customers, costing peanuts to Nintendo to port for the NX since those are already done, maybe just tweak the controls and interface in some games.
- Hundreds of great games if I dare count the virtual console retro games, yes I dare.
- 100% compatibility with this Amiibo insanity. :LOL:
- Most importantly: They'll reach the tablet market which is huge.

The main problem I have with this theory is about the current prices of games in mobiles and tablets compared to the usual Nintendo prices. Also they'll have to produce an APU with a very small process like 16nm and I am not sure if it's even technically feasible.

But on paper it looks great : You want a tablet that can perfectly play Super mario 3D / U, Mario kart 8 and Super Smash Bros?

Wii U won't be a tablet ever. This requires a lot of resorces and money. Nintendo does not like to spend money.

Nikkei reported that NX wii use android OS. How does Nintendo prevent piracy with android OS? Can developers achieve good optimization for games using android OS?

The report is NX might be Android enabled. Nintendo can have their own specifics for their own software (own portal, own security). Fixed hardware (native software) is supported on Android and Vulkan would provide an efficient API.

I did speculate on the first page of this thread that Nintendo might use a mobile OS for their new system, especially considering they said the system would be "jointly developed". Could this be jointly developed with Google? If so, I guess it really could be considered (Nintendo) Nexus device.

We know that Nintendo are already considering releasing games on mobile platforms, this could all be an extension of that. With a Google and Nintendo partnership could this be the first truly high-spec Android platform that's connected to a TV? None of that Ouya nonsense.

I might be daydreaming. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikkei reported that NX wii use android OS. How does Nintendo prevent piracy with android OS?

Android can be locked down pretty well, some devices are completely unlocked, others need some form of unlock. Android, as an OS, is no more or less secure than other operatings systems, it's very much about the specific implementation on a particular device.

Can developers achieve good optimization for games using android OS?

Nintendo can add their own graphics API / drivers specific to the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back