Pillars of Eternity: Mar 26, 2015

iroboto

Daft Funk
Legend
Supporter

Oh man, this game brings back nostalgia. Can't wait.

Anyone going to attempt Trial of Iron mode ;) 1 death and your whole save file is deleted?
Talk about intense

Last edited:
My first Kickstarter campaign I backed, for $140. Did so because Obsidian is an established developer and they have Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, and Tim Cain working this game. Plus the fact I absolutely loved the IE games in the late 90s.

That was by design, they want that nostalgic feel and appearance.

And it makes sense for budget reasons. We have to remember that these type of CRPGs never really died, only budgets rised too high. If development budget limit is 4-5 million and expected audience is around 150k, then you have to make best game you can with resources you have available. You cut corners where ever you can and we all know that in modern game development it means animation, (3d) graphics and voice acting. Actual design, writing and lore creation are not that pricey. Project lead Josh Sawyer said that they only had 4 environment artist creating just about everything you see in maps. They used Maya and Mental Ray (creating something like simple buildings is really fast in modern 3d software).

It is what it is. I'd love to see Pillars of Eternity game done with Order 1886 or Assassin's Creed Unity production values but that most likely will never happen.

Great article on how Pillars of Eternity makes a strong attempt to destroy cookie-cutter builds. Aka, max/min character skills
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/25/8284763/how-pillars-of-eternity-rewrites-the-rules-for-role-playing

It does away with the cookie cutter builds, but Min/Max is still well and alive in that game according to the article. It's just that there is no useless Min/Max build like there would be in say D&D.

A high intellect low might [Min (might)/Max (int)] Barbarian is just as viable as the reverse min/max build. Whereas that wouldn't be viable with a high intelligence/low strength Barbarian in D&D.

So it's better to say that this game isn't about Maximizing potential while Minimizing drawbacks but about Maximizing one stat while Minimizing another stat. You can presumably go completely average on all stats and be not superb at anything I suppose. And that might also be viable in the game.

Regards,
SB

It's awesome. I got fever and I just have to play it, it's like Torment all over again, I care for my virtual friends, I care what dialogs I pick. There is no search for redemption this time, but the urge to to act responsible. I am forgetting there is a Monitor in front of me, just a window into some breathing, beating and living otherworldly universe.

Yup this is going onto my Steam Wishlist. I'll get around to it either when I finally work through my games backlog or it goes on sale.

Thank you so much Kickstarter for kickstarting a wonderful revival of computer RPGs. Especially the turn based variety (although this one isn't technically turn based).

Regards,
SB

I don't regret kickstarting this.

I also purchased a copy for a birthday gift yesterday, seemed to go down well :)

I love my zombie cat pet! How can I not love a cat, regardless it's state? I love it even more than my ethereal piggy. Thank you Obsidian!

I really dislike how some of these modern old school CRPGs are being coded.

Why the fuck does all the game code have to be compiled? Games like this are community marketed, but they are unmoddable pieces of buggy crap (there's a couple of UI interactions such as double clicking on the wrong thing which completely trash your character). Bugs which in the older better designed games they harken back to we could usually fix ourselves ...

Last edited:
18 hours in here. What a great throwback to the days of playing BG2. I really like this one, it feels so similar to that old classic that if you liked it I would recommend buying with no reservations. Now the lore is a fair bit more interesting than the usual stuff, but not quite Torment levels of weird. The ruleset borrows a lot of stuff from d&d, but doen't get in the way nearly as much. My priest shoots a rifle for example, since his rod did shit damage.

Well, you can detect that lots of personal, inter-person and larger conflicts, and behaviours and self-constructs that are totally mirrorable into reality.

Raedric, for example.
Or multiple personality disorder from physical abuse.

It's a great game for in(tro)spection and reflection if you afford the time to let information sink in.

Strong candidate for game of the year at least on my personal list. Just finished this with hard expert mode. Maxed up my 6 character party before getting to twin elms... my advice: only do the bounty hunting missions if you really, really want to get to max exp fast. Otherwise, skip that and do the more interesting story side quests instead.

Back