NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

I don't know about you, but the fact that a loose translation can lead to confusion between circumcision and castration makes me feel uneasy.
Maybe the chips are Jewish? :)

Seriously though, it's probably a machine translation. These have always had difficulties interpreting context, so words that have different meanings in different situations often end up mistranslated. Chinese seems to be particularly bad in this regard...

Well, let's face it. Performance is definitely a no-go if the chip is castrated, better if circumcised, and at it's absolute best if left in it's natural state (non-circumcised). But I guess this can vary from chip to chip... :yes:

Seriously though, it's probably a machine translation. These have always had difficulties interpreting context, so words that have different meanings in different situations often end up mistranslated. Chinese seems to be particularly bad in this regard...

The original article definitely uses the correct word for circumcision, I think it's just colorful language from the author and besides circumcised = cut.

The german word "beschnitten" translates to "circumcised", but can also be translated to "cut down" or "restricted". So there you have it.

In any case... a 980ti for the price of a 390x (?) could be interesting competition. IF 390x is only a small upgrade from the 290x that is, which I doubt.

Well, let's face it. Performance is definitely a no-go if the chip is castrated, better if circumcised, and at it's absolute best if left in it's natural state (non-circumcised). But I guess this can vary from chip to chip... :yes:

It all depends on what you put it into ...

Oh my, this thread took a turn for the... uh... interesting :)

I'm still here for the 980Ti. After buying the last four iterations of ATI/AMD, I'm ready for some Team Green.

Oh my, this thread took a turn for the... uh... interesting :)

I'm still here for the 980Ti. After buying the last four iterations of ATI/AMD, I'm ready for some Team Green.

I'm not quite there yet, it all depends on R390X and Arctic series, but I'm a lot closer to Green Team than a year ago. Oh and BTW my last GT (green team) card was ... WinFast GF6800GS PCIe!! I had couple of GT210, GT330, 9800GTX but only for few days or weeks in systems I was refurbishing, repairing or tweaking before selling them on.

Well, just to add flavor, my last "TG" (as you put it) was a 7900GT-on-AGP card, one of the incredibly rare Gainward 24-pipe models that basically never existed in the US. It was holding my ancient P4 3.0GHz PrescHott (overclocked to 4.2GHz) system together for the last of its days. It was fast for what it was, but the rest of the system mostly let it down.

I ended up giving that box to my brother, but I sold the Gainward as it was just to rare to let sit in obscurity. I ended up replacing it with one of the later ATI 3850-on-AGP cards that, truth be told, was probably at least as fast if not faster than the 7900GT.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Detailed has 6GB and GM200-310 GPU

New details on the pending GeForce GTX 980 Ti have surfaced, based on a GM200-310 series GPU the card would get 6 GB of graphics memory. The card gets five display outputs: three DisplayPorts, HDMI and DVI-I.

At least this is the claim of videocardz who picked up the info stating it comes from the CEO (Jen-Hsun Huang) of Nvidia himself. The GeForce 980Ti would get 6GB of VRAM at 384-bit, will be available with custom cooling solutions from board partners. Here are all of details about NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 980 Ti, courtesy of Videocardz:

• Cut down GM200-based graphics card is codenamed GeForce GTX 980 Ti;
  • GeForce GTX 980 Ti gets a GM200-310 GPU
  • GeForce GTX 980 Ti will have 6GB of GDDR5 memory;
  • GeForce GTX 980 Ti will be available with custom cooling solutions;
  • GeForce GTX 980 Ti has 5 display outputs: 3xDP, HDMI, DVI-I
No info on clock frequencies, number of shader processors and ROPs have been shared though. It is rumored that the release is prior to Computex, that would be in the next four weeks then.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-detailed-has-6gb.html

Well, if they go the same route as a 970 and cut 384 "Shader cores" and some clock speed, that could look at a 20% performance cut for what is likely half the price or less of a full Titan X. It would be most interesting to see how it's priced though. The rumored $600 is pretty close to the 980 right now, though maybe they'll drop the price of that to compensate. Either way a salvage Titan X make a lot of sense, with that huge board there's gotta be lot of cards coming out with a lot of nonfunctional silicon in places, weak boards with less power efficiency and whatnot.

If the rumors of a full GM200 with ~100 MHz higher clocks than the TITAN X are true, then it would be nearly 50% more powerful than the 980. I think that gap is quite large and so I am expecting a part along the lines of what Frenetic Pony mentioned, whether or not the rumored full GM200 "980 Ti" shows up.

If the rumors of a full GM200 with ~100 MHz higher clocks than the TITAN X are true, then it would be nearly 50% more powerful than the 980. I think that gap is quite large and so I am expecting a part along the lines of what Frenetic Pony mentioned, whether or not the rumored full GM200 "980 Ti" shows up.
Not sure how a ~10% increase in clocks will add 15-20% more performance...

Well, full or not full will mostly depend of the strategy choose by Nvidia. And for be honest of the date of release. Actually i will not really look at the +-100mhz, custom cards with "unlocked" TDP will come with more performance than the " official ", and this is the gpu''s who will be send for reviews. ( i can imagine we will have 7-10 gpu's launched the same days and reviewed in the 2-3days after, as with previous release of Nvidia .)

This said, previous rumored prices are more in the 699$ than under 600..

I think GM200 is 1.5×GM204 in just about every way, so at the same clock speed it could theoretically be 50% faster. When it falls short of that, it must be due to less than ideal scaling and/or CPU bottlenecks. I would imagine that as time goes by, it will get closer to that theoretical +50% figure (through better drivers, faster CPUs, better APIs, etc.).

Is there anything yet about the GTX 950Ti and lower cards?
I'm waiting for a low-endish Nvidia card with x265 decoding as I am not a hardcore gamer.

That would have to be based on the GTX 960, with the GM206 GPU.
At worst, get a GTX 960 one year from now when/if price has dropped, or wait for a future generation of mid/low end card..

I think that h265 is of limited use now, it will take many years to trickle down. Main use case right now would be for game streaming over a decent, stable wireless LAN.

I think that h265 is of limited use now, it will take many years to trickle down. Main use case right now would be for game streaming over a decent, stable wireless LAN.
You may be underestimating the groundswell of HEVC uptake for those with HTPC-centric systems. While I am a gamer at heart, H.265 is a godsend for quality (resolution/decent audio/video bitrate) and file size for those of us who have HD (and higher) video libraries. Backing up a Blu Ray library can eat up a prodigious amount of storage using 264 encoding, but becomes somewhat more manageable with HEVC. For those of us that have to travel frequently, carting around external drives isn't really a viable option, so the reduced file size and improved quality of H.265 has now become standard. The major bottleneck now seems to be on the software encode/transcode side.
Having said that, H.265 in general will probably remain for a while as MKV is at present. Many people probably have little interest in quality, which is why low bitrate AVI and WMV are still favoured by a significant proportion of people.

Computational requirements get silly big too. Ideally I guess you can have some storage back-end (NAS or PC) with lots of h265 files in it of various quality, for all those devices that can't even read it it should have a hardware h265 decoder (in CPU or GPU) and a usable hardware encoder (or cheap software encoder) to transcode it on the fly, to x264 or other.

Back