Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that fighter? *spawn

The games wouldn't look any different considering you have the exact same limited hardware resources.

The dreamcast couldn't get over it's hardware limitations, but this still doesn't mean games wouldn't look any better than before. The dreamcast died pretty young and didn't get to experience many games that pushed it. Shenmue 2 was completed near the end of it's life cylcle with old tools( from the psx era) and it looks pretty amazing. I can understand how the games graphically wouldn't look that much different, but I still think art and aesthetic design can surpass hardware. In my first post I should have rephrased my question to mention more about aesthetic design; I meant say how much better dreamcast games would look if they incorporated modern aesthetic design.

The Dreamcast's main CPU is a two-way 360 MIPSsuperscalar Hitachi SH-432-bitRISC[136] clocked at 200 MHz with an 8 Kbyteinstruction cache and 16 Kbyte data cache and a 128-bit graphics-oriented floating-point unit delivering 1.4 GFLOPS.[36] Its 100 MHz NEC PowerVR2 rendering engine, integrated with the system's ASIC, is capable of drawing more than 3 million polygons per second[40] and of deferred shading.[36] Graphics hardware effects includetrilinear filtering, gouraud shading, z-buffering, spatial anti-aliasing, per-pixel translucency sortingand bump mapping.[36][40] The system can output approximately 16.77 million colorssimultaneously and displays interlaced or progressive scan video at 640 × 480 video resolution.[40]Its 67 MHz Yamaha AICA[137] sound processor, with a 32-bit ARM7 RISC CPU core, can generate 64 voices with PCM or ADPCM, providing ten times the performance of the Saturn's sound system.[36] The Dreamcast has 16 MB main RAM, along with an additional 8 MB of RAM for graphic textures and 2 MB of RAM for sound.[36][40] The system reads media using a 12x speed Yamaha GD-ROM Drive.[40] In addition to Windows CE, the Dreamcast supports several Sega andmiddlewareapplication programming interfaces

It was the successor chip to the PowerVR PCX1, and was in the Apocalypse3Dx, Matrox m3D and other PC plug-in cards.

Sorry... are you saying that making the tea is not working?! How dare you?!

(By "maybe" I meant that SGL was quite a while ago so not exactly fresh in my mind)

Last edited:
Hmm... interesting.
SGL (not SGL-Direct), was a display-graph API so you defined models, lights and camera(s), tweaked the matrices in the display graph, and then hit the render command.

I guess the difficulty would depend on what functions they wanted to support in SGL. Handling the triangle mesh functions should be relatively straightforward but supporting the convex polytopes (aka infinite planes) + shadows would be, err, more challenging.

I seem to recall that most of the games were using the triangle interface but a number, like Ultimate Race and IIRC Mechwarrior, used the infinite plane functions.

[correct if needed]

PowerVR Series 1
-PCX1
-PCX2 (higher clockspeed, added bilinear filtering)

PowerVR Series 2
-PowerVR2DC / CLX2 (Dreamcast, NAOMI)
-PowerVR PMX1 (used in the Neon 250 card and not as powerful as the Dreamcast version)

PowerVR Series 1, PC card/chips: (not necessarily complete, e.g NEC and Matrox boards?)
  • Internal/demo only, Midas 1 & 2
  • Midas 3 (in some Compaq machines)
  • PCX1 (AKA midas 4)
  • PCX2 (AKA midas 5) (higher clockspeed, added bilinear filtering + slightly lower driver overhead)
PowerVR Series 2... also...
  • ARC1 (Used as early DC dev system and possibly(?) in an arcade system?)

I really, really want to see PVR back in a console (and not just because I'm still a Dreamcast fanboy). Perhaps a GPU with ray tracing acceleration? Hey, reflections and shadows are still distinctly "last-gen" and definitely need a kick up the arse...

How would the fastest MIPS cores fare compared to Jaguar and recent high end ARM cores?

I have a technical question about the matter.
Could the Dreamcast use the same tricks as most games on Ps2 did? I am refering on rendering the games at some low resolutions in other to gain more juice from the hardware and display better graphics.
I am talking about things like this.
Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast (despite it being a shoddy port) ran at 640x480p

a9lsAJq.jpg

Meanwhile Sega Rally 2006 run at 512x240i on Ps2.

VwJO1Yu.jpg

Obviously rendering at lower resolution allows to free resources and so making it possible to display complex graphics.

In this particular case the Dreamcast is pushing 640x480=307200 pixels
and the ps2 512x240=122880

More than twice the pixels.(now that pixel counts is a hot topic xD)

Does anyone have knowledge if this is actually possible?

Back