Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Super upscaled. I can't make an accurate count, but you're looking at about 2.5x upscale in both directions AFAICS, so around 500x300
In addition to low resolution it seems that they do not use mipmapping or just have ridiculous mipmap bias.. (both are bad for efficiency and image quality.)

Does XO screenshots feature doctor the screens any? They seem to look unusually good.

An example from Neogaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=158438746&postcount=3152

I hate to be that guy, but what looks good about those screens? The upscaling and post processing AA makes it very soft and lighting is very flat in the last shot. I think the game is much better in motion since it is colorful, openworld and has lots of stuff on the screen.

Also, what's with the all white truck, is that a story thing or a bug in the rendering?

MKX (XB1)
ixVLRfQHuhwai.png

It might be 1344 or 1360x1080 or thereabouts.

Last edited:
I just got a tip from someone who's been tipping me about Resident Evil 2 revelation updates for a little while now, and 1.03 was released on the 10th patching in AF. The AF thread is closed, so I was wondering if someone here can confirm by posting a screenshot.

You're right. Maybe it broke in 1.02? Nobody checked if that had performance enhancements I think.

Last edited:
I just got a tip from someone who's been tipping me about Resident Evil 2 revelation updates for a little while now, and 1.03 was released on the 10th patching in AF. The AF thread is closed, so I was wondering if someone here can confirm by posting a screenshot.

I think I'm the person that tip you. From what I know there has never been a problem with the AF on Resident Evil Revaltions 2 PS4 version. The frame rate was not that good on the release version but it was later patched with the following information

Version 1.01

- Added connectivity for Resident Evil.Net
- Fixed various issues and improved stability.

I sent a message to Digital Foundry and got the following answer from Richard Leadbetter

"Thanks for the tip - given it a quick look and it seems to have improved but it doesn't seem to be quite at the Xbox One level yet. We'll post an article later this week once we've given it a proper analysis."

After that we got this article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...oosts-resident-evil-revelations-2-performance (20/03/2015)

After that article the game has then been patched once again with the following info

Version 1.02 (02/04/2015)

- Added online co-op for Raid Mode.
- Makes Resident Evil.Net events playable.
- Fixed various issues and improved stability.

If the game runs even better now I don't know as no further analysis has been made by either DF or NX Gamer. I have contacted DF once again but with no answer this time.

By the way it is Devil May Cry that got AF implemented in patch 1.03. That is was it shows on my PS4 when I check the update log for that game.

/ Ken

Ah ok, then I confused your message. The DmC update I already knew. Will fix.

Framerate is obviously 30fps.

Res i am also curious about. I'm assuming native 1080p with actual MSAA, but i'd like to have seen some downsampling present, considering the PS3 game was already native 1080p but with no AA

I'm not a pixel counter however, so i cant really say for sure...

o_O Surprised they didn't up the frame rate. I assume it'd be due to animation issues...(RE4's recent redo of its PC port gave it 60 FPS in all but one case: The bolt action rifle's animations, which were only made in 30 FPS).

I'm assuming the devs just didn't see the point. Considering your not really going to be doing much in the game that necessitates 60fps. To begin with, SE have not made 60fps games on console since SNES, so there's that too.

I'm assuming the devs just didn't see the point. Considering your not really going to be doing much in the game that necessitates 60fps. To begin with, SE have not made 60fps games on console since SNES, so there's that too.
Ergheiz and the Tobal games were 60fps :)
But still you are right that 60fps is never their priority

Well, it's more that 60 FPS just looks better. There are more reasons to use 60 FPS other than twitch gaming. See RE4's new PC port. RE4 is a very slow paced action game, but 60 FPS just improves the experience so much while not really improving your reaction times because almost every enemy is slow as balls. How does it improve the experience? Everything(Aside from those specific animations I mentioned) just looks better and smoother.

Well, it's more that 60 FPS just looks better. There are more reasons to use 60 FPS other than twitch gaming. See RE4's new PC port. RE4 is a very slow paced action game, but 60 FPS just improves the experience so much while not really improving your reaction times because almost every enemy is slow as balls. How does it improve the experience? Everything(Aside from those specific animations I mentioned) just looks better and smoother.

I would say that's subjective. I don't always like the look of 60fps for story focused games. It takes away from the "separation from reality" factor that I think enhances the storytelling a bit, making everything feel a bit unreal, larger than life, etc, sort of like how black and white can enhance the dramatic aspects of a photograph regardless of it being technically inferior to color. 30fps can be an artistic choice like anything else that affects the visuals, but it also allows developers to push consoles' graphical potential as well. If you use 60fps, you're not getting the best graphics you could on that system, no matter the hardware. Obviously for ports of old games it's a no brainer, but I did particularly like the choice to cap the frame rate at 30fps in TLOU for my own artistic reasons. 60fps just felt too real to me, and it lost some of that "fantasy" feel to it for me. I think that's partly the reason so many people had a problem with 48fps Hobbit as well. I think most games are probably better in 60fps, but I don't think it's universally true, at least, not for everyone. As I do mention it as an artistic choice, and art is subjective, not everyone is going to feel the same way and that's totally fine.

The Witcher 3 on consoles: I think that they use a hardware AA, maybe 2xMSAA or the EQAA equivalent.

And obviously the image quality is incredible and the art, graphics, details, textures, lighting etc. are all excellent... they did an incredible job with the hardware IMO considering it's a massively open world game. Wow.

And obviously the image quality is incredible and the art, graphics, details, textures, lighting etc. are all excellent... they did an incredible job with the hardware IMO considering it's a massively open world game. Wow.
Certainly that was the most awesomely rendered saucepan I have ever seen. :yep2: 10/10 for saucepan rendering tech and other devs should learn from this.

Back