Shadow of the Beast (PS4 - Amiga Remake)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Agreed, doesn't give much of an impression yet. It could be good, but no way of knowing from this.

I hope Cold Storage will do music for this.. :)
He did music for Shadow of the Beast 2 and 3.. Think 4mat did the music for SotB.

Hubbard was more an 8-bit man, I can't remember anything he did from the 16-bit era. Most of these guys were better with FM synths of the old 8-bitters than in the sample era of the Amiga IMO.

Not sure what to think of this SoTB remake. The teaser trailer is uninspired IMO and doesn't reflect the feel and mood of the original game (gameplay of which was rather uninspired and certainly unforgettable in of itself I might add, which might contribute...)

Having watched this, I'm feeling this game is all nostalgia and no substance.

It's worth skipping to 12:30 and watching the rest of the video after you've taken in the beginning.

SotB2 was my first game on Amiga, remembered fondly, but I had forgotten how crap it was until seeing this. Like everyone else, I had used the cheat to progress, and so I don't remember the game itself.

What made the SotB games was the mood and visuals. From the animated intro's, pretty revolutionary for the time, to the death sequences, they were iconic. But they were stupidly hard games (the design itself is impossible - it's not just a case of learning basic skills) and, let's be honest, if you'd spent all your pocket money buying SotB 2 only to die over and over again until the "Ten Pints" cheat was learnt, you'd be seriously pissed. Psygnosis sold everyone a broke game. It was nigh impossible in standard mode and no actual fun as a game when the cheat was enabled.

SotB3 was a much better game that I completed without cheating, but it still wasn't anything special. The big creatures and weird designs are what made it. So basically, Sony need to change the game radically to make it actually possible. As long as they have the style, it can be called SotB. If they don't match the design and artwork, the game itself has no identity so they'll have just recycled the badge.

I remember I couldn't play it. That said, it now looks to me a lot like a game like Mass Effect (which to me is a fusion of weak gameplay with weak adventuring), which I also can't play.

The above though, I was wondering if you were really meant to get through that section without knowing the proper password (not the cheat-code)

If anything, Shadow of the Beast looks like a game that was overly ambitious for its time, and could be done far better these days. I don't know how faithful they plan to be, but I'm starting to get slightly more excited. Hope they will actually allow you to type stuff ... :D

SotB3 was a much better game that I completed without cheating, but it still wasn't anything special. The big creatures and weird designs are what made it. So basically, Sony need to change the game radically to make it actually possible. As long as they have the style, it can be called SotB. If they don't match the design and artwork, the game itself has no identity so they'll have just recycled the badge.

Wasnt that SotB2 is impossible to get past without cheating anyway?

I agree with weird designs but it was also the brilliant music in every part, that made me feel really out-there-in-another-world. So if those meet with good playability and maybe some story, it could work nicely.

(Offtopic: ordered A1200, soon it will be mine, gonna install CF-IDE and maybe 030 turbo with memory, then I need couple working TAC-2 joystics and I can also game on it!)

I remember I couldn't play it. That said, it now looks to me a lot like a game like Mass Effect (which to me is a fusion of weak gameplay with weak adventuring), which I also can't play.

The above though, I was wondering if you were really meant to get through that section without knowing the proper password (not the cheat-code)

If anything, Shadow of the Beast looks like a game that was overly ambitious for its time, and could be done far better these days. I don't know how faithful they plan to be, but I'm starting to get slightly more excited. Hope they will actually allow you to type stuff ... :D

It was a graphical showcase for the Amiga. How many levels of parallax!! But the actual game was an absolute dog to play. It was far too hard and repetitive.

I'm hoping the remake is in name only, with the same style of visuals and with the music but with a lot more substance. Even if it is a Guacamole kind of sideways beat-em up.

(Offtopic: ordered A1200, soon it will be mine, gonna install CF-IDE and maybe 030 turbo with memory, then I need couple working TAC-2 joystics and I can also game on it!)

I'm just in the process of rehousing my A1200. I've installed an ancient IDE HD. Just waiting for a new keyboard and the A1230 expansion.

I've also ordered an A4000 and have my eye on an A3000. All for pure nostalgia of course! Somewhere in the attic I have a PET, and an A2000B, with a BBC Master, and an Archimedes A3010.

Wasnt that SotB2 is impossible to get past without cheating anyway?
There's a long play on YT where some guy completes it without the cheat, so it's possible. There are also more health vials than I remember, so it wasn't necessarily outside the realm of feasibility for any truly determined gamer to complete without cheating.

The problem is the game is based on trial and error and insane repetition. He completes it in about 20 minutes, so the 'value' of the game in terms of hours of gameplay came in the repeating. It's basically not a game but a lab-rat experiment - how much punishment can you endure as you slowly learn the route through the game. There are numerous events that render the game impossible to complete but which you are not warned about. There are routes to take that require leaps of faith with the risk of losing all your hard work and having to start again. In terms of game design, I can't think of a better showcase of how not to do it! SotB2 gets absolutely everything wrong - no clear direction, sometimes no positive feedback, no warnings, incredibly tight limits so that you're unsure if what you're trying to do is even possible. Thus any excitement surrounding this remake seem illogical, besides perhaps a gamers' flavour of Stockholm Syndrome!

I'm not sure I completed the original SoTB without cheating, but I think I did. It was too long ago to actually remember. I did not get anywhere in the second, I literally got stuck in the first ten minutes or so and didn't know where to go or what to do I think. Again, was really long time ago. No memory of ever playing the third game, I don't remember the graphics, or even there BEING a third installment until this thread...

Does anyone know if there's an Amiga emulator out there (or other windows program would also be OK) that can read FFS file system straight off old harddrives? I got a couple SCSI drives sitting in a closet that I'd like to image before the data deteriorates... (Assuming it hasn't already, of course.)

I remember finishing the first without the trainer and it was extremely difficult, the second game was stupidly frustrating with obscure puzzles that kill you instantly or make you back track until you die. Third game was too easy and the whole franchise had lost it's charm since we had an overload of copycat parallax side-scrollers.

My nostalgia is kicking in. From the leaks I think they successfully reproduced the mood of the original. I really like it!!

shadow_of_the_beast11.jpg

Back in 1989 we had powerful 7.14MHz computers that could do 60fps. :p

Does anyone know if there's an Amiga emulator out there (or other windows program would also be OK) that can read FFS file system straight off old harddrives? I got a couple SCSI drives sitting in a closet that I'd like to image before the data deteriorates... (Assuming it hasn't already, of course.)
Fair chance they still work, I played with my Amiga 2000HD last year and the HDD still boots fine. All my floppies are long dead.

I never tried it but reading the HDD should be simple with a scsi adapter and linux... I think the easiest way would be to use 'dd' in linux to copy the entire block device from /dev to a dump file. Then just use the dump file either with rdbtool or in winUAE?

http://lallafa.de/blog/amiga-projects/amitools/rdbtool/

Game is supposedly out now, from ads I've seen online anyway, and nobody's posted about it in this thread!

Have you all lost all interest so quickly? It's only been like 3 1/4 years since thread was started! :LOL:

If you've played and have some impressions, write about it here please. I'm curious about the game (I clocked the original back in the day), but I'm not made of money unfortunately so I can only spend if it's decent. (This might incidentally mean "better than the original"... :p)

Back