Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
The models not so much. They look kinda flat but it could be the lighting.
I reckon that's due to lack of subtle moblur. The scene is uberclean CG over the top of 'photographic' scenery and it looks like a nasty composite. The lighting is pretty complex with the GI method in place. I also notice the Tie fighters should be significantly motion blurred. The scenery is blurred in the direction of the X-Wing's flight, and the Ties are flying towards it. Definitely a wrong composition overall.

Edit: Okay, one flying towards going by the hideously compressed YT footage.

Last edited:
At the end of the panel they said check out gameplay presented in Dolby Atmos. Could Battlefront game be the
first game using Atmos for home? The specifically said Atmos so I wonder if its a bespoke feature.

I hope we don't have to wait two months until E3 to see actual game play. I really hate "representative" trailers.

You never saw E3 Presentations before?

Microsoft, and Sony (as well as Nintendo) have used them to showcase tons of hype. The game doesn't come till November...it won't hurt to wait a couple months.

I honestly hated when too much information was leaked or shown before that it eventually diminished the game having a presence or impact.

Plus Microsoft used Crysis 1 in their console centric 2006/07 E3 Presentations to boast about hype for Windows Vista.

You never saw E3 Presentations before?

I've seen E3 presentations. When they reveled BF4 (way earlier than this) they showed 17 minutes of the game actually being played. I don't need that much, I just want to see some thing running real time that's being played by a real player.

Instead of hyping me up for this game more, the current reveal bummed me out.

The force...

wcvi7wD.png

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-17-star-wars-battlefront-has-40-player-cap

I fear this game won't actually be Battlefronts, but just a typical contemporary shooter with a SW dressing. No space battles, a significant paring back from those early trailers, and no campaign, means the gameplay won't be much like BF2, maybe not even BF1. BF worked because the gameplay was dead simple. Grab a class, run out, shoot a bit, die, grab another class, rinse and repeat in a very light, enjoyable fashion. I really don't want to play another typical online shooter. I tried them with PS3, I really did, but they ended up being kinda rubbish IMO.

And at the very end of that video:

"Game engine footage representative of PS4. Not actual gameplay"

So in other works, won't end up looking like that, especially on consoles.

Those are two separate sentences. "Not actual gameplay." should be taken in the most literal sense. That what you are seeing in the trailer is not technically "gameplay". It isn't inferring on what gameplay could look like.

I've seen E3 presentations. When they reveled BF4 (way earlier than this) they showed 17 minutes of the game actually being played. I don't need that much, I just want to see some thing running real time that's being played by a real player.

Instead of hyping me up for this game more, the current reveal bummed me out.

You're comparison is misguided.

Battlefield 4 and even Battlefield 3 series when revealed are aimed at a far different gamer audience.

EA/DICE were as they mentioned, going after the Call of Duty mindshare consumer and the...tech fans who play FPSs.

Comparing both reveals is misguided because you have no clue of the on coming hype train that is coming with Star Wars Battlefront.

Battlefield 4 however needed to convince FPS players who were still stuck in the much more cartoony world of CoD FPS to not only shift their buying dollars but also buy new consoles or PCs.

Star Wars blitz marketing is gonna be much more emotional and impulsive...all it takes is showing small videos like this and people will likely ignore reviews and buy new day one...see Battlefront 2 which wasn't that great of a videogame but because it's star wars it was appreciated.

Also it benefits the videogames industry to wait and pause before showing too much...there are still print magazines...there's a weird YouTube channel were they claim to be official and maybe but they regurgitate every piece of news into long boring fanboy fantasy speculation videos.

I said wow:

zeKq6Nh.jpg

I'm ready for a new Episode I racer.

KNE6tfX.jpg

Man that screencap looks like it could be straight from one of the movies. I've been looking at the video over and over and it seems to me that the lighting is really what is setting this apart graphically from any other game I have seen. It looks super accurate.

Jack frags and other journalist watched PS4 gameplay

PS4 gameplay at 60fps
Watched Endor map
When shooting in 1st person mode, "you can aim down the scope". He specifically says scope
Says it LOOKS LIKE you can "potentially control ATST, ATAT, and speeder bikes"
Player movement similar to BF3/4
Headshots do more damage
Verticality in the map
Beacon calls in squadron of Y wings for bombing run
Can get into high Ewok villages, but didn't see Ewoks
You appear on minimap if you shoot OR sprint
Not a detailed minimap, more like a circular radar
Four item slots, looks like three primary weapon/equipment slots and one for in-game battle pickups
Looks like no ammo--each weapon may just have an overheat/overcharge
Battle pickups, like the rocket launcher, are one-shot
Other equipment: grenades, jetpack, circular shield
Clean UI
Doesn't seem to be any 3D spotting
Demo was running at 60fps
"Looks incredible"

Something I have to mention is the geometry detail in the assets, because it's just very very good.

Just look at the X-wing. Most people would probably call it a crude blocky design, especially compared to something like the Naboo starfighters; but the truth is that there's a lot of complexity and curves even in the basic design (note the engines and guns - 3 elements made of different sized cylinders with insets and bevels and such) and then there's a ton of greeble detail on top of it. One of the first CG models I've built in 3ds max was obviously an X-wing, and I've had a very hard time to get it to a reasonable quality level, because of the limitations of both the hardware and the software tools of the time.

Now look at this:
Star%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_D.jpg

It's basically a perfect recreation of the original practical model, you can't see any jagged edges or obviously faked normal map impostors. If it wasn't for the somewhat messy AA and MB, it could even be sold as a New Hope movie asset, and it looks pretty damn better than the stuff we've seen in Rebel Assault.

And on top of that, the terrain has an insane level of detail as well.

Now we can obviously point out that there aren't that many things in this scene, a couple of starfighter models and the terrain, so an average 2-5 million triangle count would still allow hundreds of thousands of polygons for each asset. That's actually in the same ballpark that I've been working with back then. Funnily enough, I still have the images :O and oh man, this was made in 1999!
1uVV50H.jpg

It's really interesting to see how in less than 20 years, a real-time video game has become a LOT better looking then what I've spent so much time working on ;) The lighting in particular is so much better; and yet the AA still suffers.

But where it gets even more impressive is when we look at the Darth Vader close-up.

Star%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_C.jpg

It's still very hard to spot the poly edges on that model! I thought that stormtrooper was only the source mesh, but apparently they can even render that in the engine, in real-time. This guy has to be at least 200-400k triangles or so to work so well. I can't even tell where the normal maps end and where the actual geometry begins.

The shading isn't quite right though, too much roughness and the reflections are also pretty simple. But nevertheless, it's really really good work and super impressive rendering.

Something I have to mention is the geometry detail in the assets, because it's just very very good.

Just look at the X-wing. Most people would probably call it a crude blocky design, especially compared to something like the Naboo starfighters; but the truth is that there's a lot of complexity and curves even in the basic design (note the engines and guns - 3 elements made of different sized cylinders with insets and bevels and such) and then there's a ton of greeble detail on top of it. One of the first CG models I've built in 3ds max was obviously an X-wing, and I've had a very hard time to get it to a reasonable quality level, because of the limitations of both the hardware and the software tools of the time.

Now look at this:
Star%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_D.jpg

It's basically a perfect recreation of the original practical model, you can't see any jagged edges or obviously faked normal map impostors. If it wasn't for the somewhat messy AA and MB, it could even be sold as a New Hope movie asset, and it looks pretty damn better than the stuff we've seen in Rebel Assault.

And on top of that, the terrain has an insane level of detail as well.

Now we can obviously point out that there aren't that many things in this scene, a couple of starfighter models and the terrain, so an average 2-5 million triangle count would still allow hundreds of thousands of polygons for each asset. That's actually in the same ballpark that I've been working with back then. Funnily enough, I still have the images :O and oh man, this was made in 1999!
1uVV50H.jpg

It's really interesting to see how in less than 20 years, a real-time video game has become a LOT better looking then what I've spent so much time working on ;) The lighting in particular is so much better; and yet the AA still suffers.

I'm not impressed by the models because 14 years ago this was released:

But where it gets even more impressive is when we look at the Darth Vader close-up.

Star%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_C.jpg

It's still very hard to spot the poly edges on that model! I thought that stormtrooper was only the source mesh, but apparently they can even render that in the engine, in real-time. This guy has to be at least 200-400k triangles or so to work so well. I can't even tell where the normal maps end and where the actual geometry begins.

The shading isn't quite right though, too much roughness and the reflections are also pretty simple. But nevertheless, it's really really good work and super impressive rendering.
Yeah the model is great but due to the shader you can instantly tell it's fake.

Back